Who cuts and burns pinyon pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zemmo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No one down here likes it, because it has a lot of sticky sap (smells good though), and tends to deposit a lot of creosote in the chimney. Plus it's heavier and harder to split than the juniper everyone prefers. Has anyone had any experience with it? Most of the juniper and oak is gone where I'm cutting, so I thought I'd try a few trees. It's fun to cut down, but it is pitchy. Comments?

Never heard of it. I would let it season well, then give it a try. Burn a good hot fire and creasote shouldn't be a problem.

They sell the heck out of it around here, KS, for th chimenea (sp?) thingies. Not for firewood though. Seems to me like it's drier than the normal pine we get though.
Andy

laynes69 said:
Never heard of it. I would let it season well, then give it a try. Burn a good hot fire and creasote shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, it's only in the southwest. It's the main firewood up around Santa Fe, Taos, etc. I'm thinking it'll be similar to the white spruce I burn in Alaska.

sawinredneck said:
They sell the heck out of it around here, KS, for th chimenea (sp?) thingies. Not for firewood though. Seems to me like it's drier than the normal pine we get though.
Andy

In Kansas? For "chiinenea thingies"? Dude, what have you been smoking? :) :)

Them ther silly little clay fireplaces you put on the patio. Folks like to buy, get this, bags of pinnion wood for them!!! I need a bigger truck and a proccesor!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Them ther silly little clay fireplaces you put on the patio. Folks like to buy, get this, bags of pinnion wood for them!!! I need a bigger truck and a proccesor!!!
Andy

Too funny! Those clay ovens are an Indian thing, Anasazi, I think. And people like the pinyon pine 'cause it smells good (although not nearly as good as juniper). A lot of well-to-do folk (not me) put a "kiva" fireplace in the corner of their adobe, a curved clay structure. They work, but not like a good stove.

They call them chimenea's or some crap around her, my wife wants one, I just laugh at her and point to my Oak powered grill LOL!!!
Andy

Thats the fancy whazoo version!!! These are a lot smaller, with a metal stand and portable I'll see what I can find. The sell arond here for 30-120 dollars.
Andy

Sounds like an opportunity to me. Just take a truck to the lovely southwest, fill it up with pinyon and mud (for the baby kiva fireplaces), and bring it back to the midwest. You can hire children to make the mud ovens (they'll love it), and maybe to whittle special firestarter packs from pieces of the aromatic pinyon. We've got lots of mud, and, like I say, most of the guys around here won't even cut pinyon.

chiminea.jpg

Hmm, yeah, I googled it.

http://www.chiminea.net/

They claim that it's Mexican in origin, certainly the word "chimenea" is. I wonder if they got the idea from the Anasazi? Of course people all over the world have been using mud for housing and cooking in various forms. I'd never heard of a chiminea though, it's not a New Mexican thing. The site linked above does mention pinyon.

Thanks l2:cheers:

Kinda my thoughts as well zemo, I just need a bigger truck, or dry pinion!! They sell three pound bag of that for like eight bucks a bag:jawdrop:

zemmo said:
Hmm, yeah, I googled it.

http://www.chiminea.net/

They claim that it's Mexican in origin, certainly the word "chimenea" is. I wonder if they got the idea from the Anasazi? Of course people all over the world have been using mud for housing and cooking in various forms. I'd never heard of a chiminea though, it's not a New Mexican thing. The site linked above does mention pinyon.

SEE!!!!!!!!!!!! It's some REAL good stuff I am smoking LOL!!!:cheers:

sawinredneck said:
SEE!!!!!!!!!!!! It's some REAL good stuff I am smoking LOL!!!:cheers:

This is totally cracking me up! Here's the info on pinyon from that site you linked to:

PINION WOOD

What is Pinion Wood?
Pinion Wood is grown in the Mountains in central
United States. Mostly in the New Mexico area. Pinion Wood is very aromatic with a piney smell to it. Pinion wood burning reminds me of Christmas. You know how it is when you get a new Christmas tree and go to work and when you come home the aroma when you walk into the house? This is what Pinion wood smells like burning.Not only does Pinion Wood smell awesome burning but it's easy to light, burns a long time, leaves very little ash to clean up and it puts out some pretty impressive BTU's. This is what makes Pinion Wood great Chiminea Wood.

Pinion wood also repels mosquitoes! This is no sales pitch. During the spring, summer, fall weather it may seem ridiculous to burn a fire because its so hot. Imagine its 105 degrees and your going to burn a fire. You bet! Just a little pinion wood burning will drive the mosquitoes away. It will amaze you how will it works. Try it!

Dancing Fire is a direct source of Pinion wood cut for the Chiminea. Our chiminea wood, pinion wood is cut to about the size of a baseball making our pinion wood just the right size for any chiminea. After we custom cut our pinion wood we bag it in 1 cubic foot bags. The weight will vary. We sell our pinion wood by volume not by weight. This is the only true method of delivering a fair measurement of firewood. When we cut our pinion wood it weights about 35 pounds and as the wood seasons it could weigh as much as 25 pounds. I like to sell our pinion wood a little green so it burns longer and you get more fire for your money. If its too seasoned it burns faster then I would prefer.

HERE IS THE PRICE BREAKDOWN
1 BAG FREE DELIVERY $39.99
Buy 6 BAGS and I'll give you one bag free plus FREE DELIVERY

Like I say, my truck was nearly breakin' springs today, chock full of pinyon that no one wants in NM, but is apparently dying for in the midwest. What a world...

Back