Why do west coast loggers fell timber the way the do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago when my buddy from Northern Maine came to the Adirondacks he was looking for a job cutting wood but people just laughed when he called himself a "chopper" he did get hired by a frenchman cutting for Finch Pruyn. Made out great but got sick of chopping and limbing spruce and balsam last I heard he went to work for Asplundh clearing power lines.

Ted I was thinking about you today when I was at Costco buying a GIANT jar of dill pickles. Can't let all that garlicy brine go to waste.

Its hard to go wrong there. I pickled a few jars last summer. First time doing more with a jar other than opening the lid and turning it upside down. However, they where amazing. I think the absence of any additives is what made them. Since then i can taste something off in some lower end brands. My most recent discovery of a couple months ago are boars head dills. They taste good. I tried some different cucumbers this year and they won't yield enough fruit at once to bother with. They are a pickling variety. I had better yeild by far last year with slicing cucumbers. Im about as green as they come when it comes to growing well, anything. Ive got some corn that im mighty proud of though, fingers crossed.

John Deere, Barko, Timber Pro, Tiger Cat, Hydro-Ax & CAT all manufacture FELLER-BUNCHERS. Would you consider these Company's use of FELLER?

I never understood why someone would go through the work of digging out around a tree to add a foot of curly crappy grain on the butt of a nice clear oak.. walnut, maybe..

One reason for the high stumping out west is in line with what I just said. Try really steering a good tall side leaner down in that ghetto grain and things probably won't go as planned. Get up a few feet into straight grain and you got something to work with.. butt flair too, time is $..

Around here where Polsons logged in the early days it is not uncommon to find a rootwad cut off practically in the roots. If the tree wood have been standing it would have been flush with the ground. Stumps on the other had much higher more commensurate with hand falling.
I have been told Polsons paid windfall buckers stump scale so I guess they got all they could out of a stump. Fallers (cedarheaven:p) and regular buckers got paid actual scale so no incentive to make low stumps. Hand falling days so I imagine a low stump would have been doubly difficult.
I guess it all boils down to what pays the best.

Saftey first always, but why the high stumps? Back east I dig around the stump to cut it as low as I can on High grade oak. Of course there is a HUGE differance in the tally at the end of the day . Around here if you chop 10,000 bf INT rule a day you have done good. Average dbh on hardwood is 20" Good white pine will average 800 - 1200 bf per tree.
We cut 10,000 board foot in a single tree man...

Latest posts

Back