Why No Manufacturers Of Gasoline Circular Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
About a year ago I remember googling for Homelite xl-100's and saw a manufacturer advertising they were going to bring a gas circular saw to market. Tried to find them again last night, cannot find anything.

Why is it that no-one can simply adapt a saw motor to a circular saw platform? I would think it would be relatively easy for the engineering departments of Stihl to Husky to do. Prolly not a whole lot of call for it, but I do think they'd sell some.

I have been looking for a decently clean Homie for over a year, but the timing is always off when one comes up on the 'Bay; it sells and I only find it under "completed listings".

I stihl think someone should be manufacturing even an adapter kit.

I am going to venture a guess and say do to the fact of the amount of battery powered tools including circ saws available today. Especially with L-ion batteries.

Nitro,
I call in the Amish area of Ohio and often see them at saw shops.
I think there is one for sale now at the shop I frequent, brown painted but without a power head. If you're interested, I could send some pics next time there. PM a cell number or email addy.
I've also have seen a Stihl 180 powered compound miter saw. I would think the vibration would effect a cut, but I guess it's better than arm powered.

Regards,
2stroker
Don

Yup. XL-100, XL-110, XL-120
There was also an Orline-powered one, I think.

10ba7987.jpg

ba057b86.jpg

I picked this one up out of a shop, sold it on eBay, major profit margin, I'll tell you that.

Chris

Burning gas to cut wood

Can't help ya for what you are looking for, but in the meantime, just get one of those cheapy lightweight two stroke gennies and run a plug in circular saw. Or run extra batteries in your truck/weasel/land train and an inverter to run a normal circular saw.

Or get a pro grade battery powered circular saw, those exist, various manufacturers. They proly suck at extreme below zero temps though.

The other option is use a small gas saw with a milling "miter cut" attachment. Holds the saw upright and gives ya a slider footplate.

Don't know if any site sponsors carry them, simple enough to find with a search though.

I remember using a gas powered circular saw to cut metal many years back. It had a 12" blade or so. I abandoned it when I discovered another manual tool that did a better job for the effort and money. I would think you could find one of those and adapt a wood blade to it. I do remember that old saw I had as being a bit prone to peril as far as operator safety, and even moreso to anyone standing close to the operator. If it got away from you...it kept going

I'd say the reason why they aren't manufactured is due to an extremely low demand of the product. I couldn't imagine them being as precise on cuts as an electric power saw. A generator and power saw makes more sense and the user more than likely would need additional power tools to complete a project anyway.

That being said, I've used a chainsaw framing a house before due to no electric. :msp_unsure:

About a year ago I remember googling for Homelite xl-100's and saw a manufacturer advertising they were going to bring a gas circular saw to market. Tried to find them again last night, cannot find anything.

Why is it that no-one can simply adapt a saw motor to a circular saw platform? I would think it would be relatively easy for the engineering departments of Stihl to Husky to do. Prolly not a whole lot of call for it, but I do think they'd sell some.

I have been looking for a decently clean Homie for over a year, but the timing is always off when one comes up on the 'Bay; it sells and I only find it under "completed listings".

I stihl think someone should be manufacturing even an adapter kit.

Hi Nitroman:
Circular saws are pretty cheap, and with all the battery powered stuff you even get the mobility. I have both a plug-in and battery powered circulars saw (Ryobi). I just don't think a gas powered unit would find much of a market. "Lewis Winch" makes a neat winch that goes on a chain saw. They would be the ideal ones to come out with what your looking for as they've already done their homework.

Welcome to Lewis Winch

Don <><

Boy that's a nice chunk of change for that Homie.Did I read it right $600.00 +
are they rare?
Lawrence

Don't forget the hey day of them was 30+ years ago when generators were rare and cordless/battery power tools didn't exist. I drug around a small Miller generator welder to use as a power source like when we went into the woods to suck bees from downed trees with a shop vac...Bob

i'm sittin here thinkin," would i want a 5 horse 220 volt chainsaw out in the woods?" well, no. the chainsaw runs and gets used constantly when its running. a circular saw gets set down a lot and there would be times it would be sitting there idling for long periods. much easier to just pull the trigger then have to keep starting it . want to use a kiler circ saw? find an old wormgear rockwell. heck, doesnt even have to be a worm gear. the direct drive rockwells had a crapload of torque and power, too.

Comet, O&R powered circular saw

attachment.php

attachment.php

Homelite XL-100

attachment.php

attachment.php

Craftsman circular saw with chainsaw attachment.

attachment.php

Back