Why so many Acorn's this year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been hanging out in the same woods for the last 6 or 7 years. I have picked up Acorns and got like 20 each year. I wondered why there wasn't any squirrels. This summer there are like barrels of acorns off all the Oak trees both white and red. Even mine at home have lots. Maybe it was the real bad winter last year? I don't know but i scooped up a mickey D's bag full to plant. I even imported a squirrel...Bob

Been wondering the same thing. My oaks and my one hickory have just gone......

......NUTS this year!

Well, I had to say it, didn't I? :D

Seriously, though, I've never seen anything like it!

Part of my driveway is under a big red oak. My truck and 2 cars have little dimples in the hood from them dam things

I was talking to some locals that deer hunt among white oak ridges. They were scouting last weekend and they stated it was like walking on marbles the acorns were so thick.
Could it have something to do with the fact it rained every other day?

So its up in Canada also folks.

I have noticed the same around here with walnuts and hickory nuts. I know the walnuts are bad every other year but this is ridicilous my neighbor is shoveling them out of the way.

The farmers almanac and old wives tales say its a precursor to a hard winter. I just hope the squirrels remember where they buried all that crap otherwise I will have trees sprouting up all over

Same thing in western Wisconsin. Walking in the woods is like walking on marbles. Haven't seen this many acorns in one year for a long time.

Count Ohio in on the bounty. If its a weather thing, I wouldn't think the whole continent would have the same of type of weather conditions to cause it. Maybe it was the oil spill.:)

Last year was a heck of a crop too in PA. I did some back-packing south of Pittsburgh and mile after mile the ground was nearly 100% covered. I couldn't believe it.

All my Swamp White Oaks produced numerous acorns this year, last year the crop was good too - planted 7 of them and all 7 came up during the Spring and Summer. I planted a few more nice plump acorns this year also, it's great to be able to propagate these Oaks so easily. In 20 years I might have a nice forest going near the back of my property...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back