Wind vs climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Buchanan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
how much wind do you consider to much to climb in. I try not to climb if the wind is pushing around 10 to 15 mph

I would be comfortable with a little more than that but I don't have any hard and fast rule. Of course it depends on the job and being self employed I have some flexibility in job selection. If you are cutting and pitching and the branches are falling in the next yard over, well, that's a PITA.

Agreed with Oldmaple. Wind can make things dangerous in some trees, and more fun in others. If it's a shorter and sturdy tree, wind is not a problem. If it's tall and weak with decay, and maybe power lines around it...I'll do it tomorrow.

The best is after a day in the swaying trees, you sit down and close your eyes. You still feel like you're swaying back and forth.

Yea that could become a problem with the nieboring yard. I’ve seen limbs fly or float a good distance although out in the open it’s fun to see how close you can hit your target

It I stayed put in 10-15 mph, I'd cut my climbing days in half!

Like @Oldmaple, I have the flexibility that I can just bounce to another job if it is too windy. I'll find shorter trees or work I can do from the ground if it is going to gust up to 25mph or so.

The best is after a day in the swaying trees, you sit down and close your eyes. You still feel like you're swaying back and forth.
It's been a while since I've experienced that, but did 2 big Honey locusts in one day. It wasn't strong or gusty wind that day, just kinda sustained movement. That movement lasted until the next morning.

I've waited for a strong wind on trees before. Some you just need the right wind to make it all lands where you want it to.

Other days the wind has come up and we've called. Lashed the ropes to tree and came back the next day.

All depends on the tree and the wind.

More often then not we stop for wind and dry weather because of fire danger. Work a lot of trees around expensive houses out on hills overlooking town and fire is a real danger.

20 mph we are doing just about anything, 25 we are probably doing 90%of jobs. over 25 we start pulling off climbing jobs going to bucket work 30 is village street trimming 35 is stumps. My worst experience ever was being in the middle of a golf coarse deadwooding 150 oak trees 20 degrees out blowing 25 to 30. I'll work below zero but that wind just gets ya sometimes.

I'll keep the crane up 20+ for sure, 25 pieces are getting smaller,30 it better be an emergency 35 is impossible unless you are fishing logs out of a river or something.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

We operate in the windiest city in the world. Bright side, you know the trees have been tested every month with at least 60mph wind and are VERY strong, downside, its damn windy way to often

They other day I was climbing and I saw a wheelie bin tumbling End over End down the road. The forecast said 85mph winds but it wasn't near that where we were.

We pick our jobs, sometimes a 50mph wind can be an AMAZING help in a dismantle, although seeing the sawdust collect on a roofs and hung washing 2 blocks away can be troublesome

I spent some time climbing pines on the south Georgia coast a couple years back. High winds at high heights and skinny spars doesn't bother me anymore

I do cell towers it's plus 35 almost every day up top, depends if we are flying stuff or not. Bit like stated above trees and what not get tested everyday. Sometimes the wind is a big help for tagging off these towers tho.
Was that you last week climbing my tower in 50+ gusts. :crazy2:

Climbed 8 big oaks today...just taking a few big dead limbs out of each. Sustained winds were 15-20 periodically going a little higher. Had a first: throw ball got redirected by the wind on its way up to a limb +/-60-70' up (using Big Shot). Looked like a perfect shot for the first half of the flight, then it took a noticeable hook to the left. Branches were certainly changing course on their way down. We rigged the big ones, those were fine...but the small stuff I was cutting to get out of the way - I'd just toss them out a little and let the wind take them clear of the canopy.

Back