Winter Storage - Full or Empty?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Since we're on the topic of running a saw empty, using stabilizers, and fuel system cleaners.

How do you guys store your saws for winter storage? I've been leaving them full with PRI-G in the gas mix, and full bar oil. Non-ethanol fuel isn't an option around here.

I've thought about running them empty since I'm not too keen on having them in the basement with gas. No, I wouldn't do it WOT, but dumping out most of the fuel, and idling till empty shouldn't be too much of a problem right?

How many of you guys use something on the cylinder to keep out corrosion?

I recommend storing them empty after draining the gas mix and IDLE until saw dies.

I pull spark plug and spray in some WD-40 and a bit of 50 wt. engine oil - or mix oil.

Have piston above exhaust port before oiling and store with piston at TDC..!!

Then when starting next time..I pull plug and spritz in some fresh gas/mix.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I keep'em full

I fill both the oil and fuel tanks, add some stabil to the fuel and run at idle for about 5 minutes. Top off the fuel and into my unheated storage building it goes. I don't want to be dinking around prepping a saw if I need it RFN, trees come down around here frequently in the winter. 92 octane non ethanol and Stihl HP Ultra.

I store 'em empty,drain out the gas and bar oil and idle it till it stalls.I put about a teaspoon of engine oil in the cylinder.

Any saw that I might run soon (within the next 3 months) I store full. I do try to start each saw about once a month or so but that does not always happen.

Saw that are just up on the shelf are idled empty, I try to catch them just as they die and flood/choke them off with some 3 in 1 starter fluid that has a nice lubricant in it, then pull them up on compression and forget about it. I normally fog the fuel tank as well to try and stave off any tendency for corrosion in there.

Saws that get used are in an unheated garage, saws that are more for looking at are in my heated garage/workshop. Seems backwards perhaps but for saw that will only set and look, keeping the moisture and corrosion out if probably more important.

Saws that get used have their own film of oil to protect them as I only clean with compressed air...

Mark

I store mine full with non-ethanol gas an try to fire them up a couple of times during the winter to flush gas through the carb.

Since we're on the topic of running a saw empty, using stabilizers, and fuel system cleaners.

How do you guys store your saws for winter storage? I've been leaving them full with PRI-G in the gas mix, and full bar oil. Non-ethanol fuel isn't an option around here.

I've thought about running them empty since I'm not too keen on having them in the basement with gas. No, I wouldn't do it WOT, but dumping out most of the fuel, and idling till empty shouldn't be too much of a problem right?

I leave em full of 100 octane LL aviation fuel with Stihl Oil.....no problem in 3 years since the switch to AV gas.

I run them dry, fill them with VP and run them for a few minute's. You can smeel the differnece inbetween the fuels ( normall gas/VP ). Infact all threw out the seasion I store them like this, allways with VP. The 385 drinks nothing but VP, it gets used less than the 365.

Jason.

Usually keep them full, always have the bar oil topped off, if they are going to set 3/4 months I top them off with fuel, and will start them once a month. If they are going to be shelf queens I drain out everything I can and set them on a shelf to collect dust.

Full of gas and oil in case i need them in the middle of the night but i do try to run them every few weeks...Bob

Just about any small airport should be able to sell you 100LL aviation gas. This stuff has zero ethanol in it, and a two year shelf life. Around here it sells for $5.70 a gallon. It will not work right in saws with catalytic converters, but it is safe in all other saws. I fill my saws up with this stuff, premixed with Amsoil Dominator two stroke oil mixed at 40:1

At my airport I just pull right up to the pump, swipe my card, and off I go.......... I get 10 gallons at a time. Most saws do not need to be retuned when running on it, and the mix I use has no weird smells at all when running.

My local airport says after i get the fuel i have to "fly out of there" in other words they won't sell it to me in a car...Bob

Heck, winter is the only time I use mine.:)

Back