Wood conveyor build time!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johndirt82

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well a couple years ago I built an awsome splitter. 22hp 28gpm pump. Its still splittin strong. But when it comes to dealing with those splits it gets to be time consuming so Im gonna add in a conveyor. I got to eyeballin the wifes unused treadmill and got me thinking. Could it be used to drive a 30ft long belt (15ft conveyor)?? It has everything you would want, variable speed, descent sized motor and flywheel , plenty of power to easily move firewood splits. I mean if its made to handle hefty folk wood shouldn't be and issue . as long is can roll smoothly . I already bought the belt 7mm rough 24" wide 33ft long used conveyor belt and a 4"x24" drive roller. I was thinking of using the entire treadmill but with my belt installed and then make a frame to just extend the whole thing to 15ft long and prob it up with adjustable legs build a hoper around the control panel of the teadmill. May look funny but that would be cheap and easy. what ya think?
This is whats in a treadmill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxpOOPetVLo

Last edited:
Tryin to find a used or broken tread Mule on the ole Craigslist. Lots available for under 500 in great like new shape. Stuff like that is easy to get in SanDiego. I think I would be wise to get a commercial grade one.

Im only going 15ft(30ft belt). Enough to load the truck . I know if I stand on the belt of a treadmule(mill). It will move my 265lb behind. So 70lbs of belt on rollers with a few lbs of splits at a time should be in range. I just found a treadmill for 225 bucks. 20" wide belt with a 3hp motor. can go up to 12mph. haha Wood chucking contest!!! I like the Idea of adjustable speed.

great idea, I have been looking for a low cost conveyor for our business and I can find nothing. Anyone know who has low cost converyors please let me know.

I think making a sheetmetal hoper to slide the splits in down to the belt will be easy. I like the fold up treadmills just tilt the deck up whatever angle you need. make legs to support it extend it to hold the rest of the belt you use leave the whole treadmill intact that way. I think I may be onto something here. Ill definately post pics . Belt should be here in a week. It shipped today. Got it for $136 free shipping. and it was 72lbs. Now to find the treadmill.

Okay, you got me interested! Please keep us posted - always looking for ways to save the old back muscles!

Do you think a tread could run a 30' horizontal length? Would make getting my wood up to the house a lot easier.

Shari

Was thinking of this just the other day when i got a free treadmill. It will even read your pulse while while your splitting wood! Also has power incline to go from loading a trailer to loading a truck.

Very good thinking!! I think it will work but Im not sure about the length, the shorter you can keep it the better luck you will have without burning the motor out. I think drag is going to be your worst enemy. I agree with finding a commercial unit with the largest hp motor. Heck if you can find 2 of them mount them side by side and let the two motors share the load. Good luck and again good idea.

One more thing you will probably have to add some flights on the belt to grab the wood or your wood will just slip back down the belt. I have done this with narrow strips of mudflaps they only need to be a half inch high or so. Good luck

Not sure if it will or not. I guess I need to get the best heavy duty treadmule I can and just build and see what happens. the framing and rollers will be pretty simple just need to extend the deck of the treadmule and make the end roller at the top adjustable to tighten the belt I will definately keep ya'll posted. I need one with an Ipod dock , ooh ooh or a tv !! hahaha
The belt I got is a rough top belt to it should grip enough. we will see. can always add to it. heres the belt I got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400249026760

Last edited:
Last winter I was looking at a conveyor system run off the rim of a rider mower - look do-able but real fly-by-night.

Gotta pump up the hubby's new heart and get him more involved around here!:)

Shari

Yer funny! like she has time to do that when the LIfetime movie network is playing the latest manhater movie!
It was hers before we met anyways. Still like new. Doesn't have the kind of power Im looking for. Most commercial ones are 2.5-3.0 hp and up.

funny, I was just thinking about this over the weekend. I've got a treadmill and 3 used (usually free) snowmobile tracks on my shopping list. The sled tracks have cleats which will provide plenty of grip. I figure studs would really do the trick too for in the winter. 3 tracks @ 121" should give me about 14' of conveyor, just enough to load a truck or start making small piles that I can doze into a bigger pile with the machine. I plan on using an aluminum ladder as my frame to keep weight down.

funny, I was just thinking about this over the weekend. I've got a treadmill and 3 used (usually free) snowmobile tracks on my shopping list. The sled tracks have cleats which will provide plenty of grip. I figure studs would really do the trick too for in the winter. 3 tracks @ 121" should give me about 14' of conveyor, just enough to load a truck or start making small piles that I can doze into a bigger pile with the machine. I plan on using an aluminum ladder as my frame to keep weight down.

NOt to burst your bubble but I would guess the weight of the snowmobile tracks alone would do the treadmill motor in. But I could be wrong.

great idea

I live in Escondido, and you are right they are always giving away exercise equipment. I never thought of a tread mill. It has an electric motor with speed control, rollers and a belt what a great idea for a cheap conveyor build. David

NOt to burst your bubble but I would guess the weight of the snowmobile tracks alone would do the treadmill motor in. But I could be wrong.
i suppose its possible. Ill try it with a treadmill first, there are a couple for sale on the local CL for $50-100. if not I'll upgrade to a heavier electric motor.

Latest posts

Back