Next project - conveyor!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really liked that video, that would be super easy to toss something like that together. May have to play with what pot for the motor application but they are cheap enough.

Thanks for that video. That was great! Yes, I don't want all the bulky controls. Light and simple is what I'm after. So what size potentiometer would I need?
Sorry, but I'm not going to be able to help with that. I just had the video saved because I have a treadmill motor set aside for a project.

Well, I picked up a cheap treadmill yesterday. Cannibalized it for the rollers and motor. Not sure if that motor will work for me - it's DC, and I don't know if I can wire it up to work off of AC without all of the controls. Might be easier to just get an AC motor.

Need belt material and something to put between the belt and the ladder. I think I have just the thing - a piece of steel roofing. Got some nice leftover from a project. But maybe that hdpe would be better. $60 a sheet at Menards. Wouldn't need a whole sheet.

What material is good for a belt? Any suggestions?
I see ads very often concerning belt. I am sure it could be obtained but packing and shipping might be a problem to you. I have just thought the belt would not work as well as a chain. It has to work in poor weather conditions. I have also thought about using ladder aluminum for structure. Thanks

Unc, due to the flexible nature of the belt you won't be able to glue anything to it. You will have to use some sort of mechanical fastener, think of rivets or elevator bolts, with the smooth side on the inside of the belt. Search craigs list for belting, from mining or moving gravel, sand, salt, feed, grain, etc.

Well, I have a couple updates now.
I bought a big bale conveyor (chain) and it even had a motor. Paid $550.
1633423868303.png

The plan was to put some metal on the sides angling down to the chain. Never got around to doing that and then I saw and quickly bought this one:

1633423948186.png

Only paid $100 for this one, and I didn't need to do anything. The side wings fold up to an angled position so the stuff stays along the chain. What's more, the chain has the fins every foot, rather than every 6 feet like the first one.

A bit of great, a bit of fixing the bent parts, and she works great! Kids really enjoy it as well.
Anyone want to buy the bale conveyor now? No motor - I used it for the second one.

Where’s the pile of wood?
The pile of splits are behind the trees in the picture. He used a direct drive on the electric motor and it's running at 1740. Shoots the splits 300'. Glad it's working for you uncle. By the way the other elevator is called a skeleton elevator. I have several of them sitting around here.

Back