Ultimate log splitter build help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok not looking to build the alpha omega splitter, rather one that best fits my needs all around. The plan is to make it an attachment to mount on my front mower in place of the deck. It is a 22hp Kubota diesel turning a 13 gpm single stage pump dedicated to the pto circuit. It'll mount similar to how the deck does, so it can be raised via the deck lift cylinder. I ordered a 34" stroke 4" cylinder and a detent valve. I was thinking to make it a sideways inverted unit so I could drive up to big rounds and break them down from the seat. Then pull a couple pins and flip it over like a standard unit to make lots of smaller pieces. I have lower back problems and use an outdoor boiler so I would like 30" pieces myself however I want to keep versatility in mind in case I need to split up some smaller pieces for someone else. A vertical unit could be handy. A standard configuration horizontal unit is great but i gotta figure out how to quickly and easily get 30" long rounds up onto it. A hoist with electric winch and tongs? I could build that a lot cheaper than a log lift table and it could pull large pieces to itself instead of me having to roll or carry them. Then there's side trays to catch the split wood. And I saw one a guy had arms on it that would pull the pieces of wood back when split so they were lined up to split again, I thought that was a killer idea. They were hooked to the end of the cylinder so upon retracting it would automatically pull them back to line up for another split.

But building all these ideas into one incredibly diverse machine would get overly complicated and I feel it needs to be a little more basic. If it were to be able to be used inverted, I'd mount the valve on an arm that could swing out for regular use or swing in to position the valve for use from the seat. The trays and retracting arms would have to be removable then, so it could be used upside down.

Too many ideas my brain is on overload. I'm plenty capable of fabricating all of this, but I don't really have any experience using a hydraulic splitter and typically my best ideas of improving something come after extensive use of such machines. So I'm reaching out for help here. Been thinking about this for weeks and still can't decide on a design.

Inverted: nice for big pieces, no lifting, but lots of maneuvering the tractor to line up. Bad in a muddy or close quartered area.

Vertical: great for big pieces but awkward for smaller pieces. Big pieces must be brought to the splitter. Possibly lots of working bent over or sitting down and getting up a lot.

Horizontal: good basic all around design but requires lots of lifting.

I'd think that with horizontal/vertical capability I could leave the side trays on and simplify the plumbing by leaving the valve stationary. I could stand up to use horizontal or sit down and use vertical. But I don't know how handy this configuration would be for 30" long rounds.

I need your help!
Thanks in advance
Eric

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Central Boiler CL5036 heating my house, water and 30x40 shop
04 Ram 3500 Cummins QCLB flatbed 4wd
Custom built 4wd Lawn Boy garden tractor with a slew of attachments
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

That's a slick idea! I have a spare small one of those bota diesel mowers here just needs an injection pump to get back to working..hmmm

Hey, good luck and hope the guys can help ya out here. I think any configuration you can make that would work would be better than nuthin. Maybe go to the equipment place and take a good look at tractor rear mount splitters for ideas.

I think the big limitation would be how much weight the front lifting arms could move, and how high, etc. They don't really go all that far.

Thanks, mine is a Jacobsen with Kubota engine but very similar machines. The mower deck is 72" and very heavy, I don't think the hydraulics will have much trouble lifting the splitter. I can also use springs to assist the hydraulics (help neutralize the weight of splitter) I think I can get enough travel out of it to do what I need.
After typing it all out I think I got some of it worked out in my head which made it easier visualize how everything can work. I think I'm going to try to make it inverted, horizontal and vertical. I'm not any good at drawing my ideas so I'll just have to build it to show you how I will make it do all 3 positions.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

I have found that when working up bigger ones in the woods it is easier to be able to drive down the length of the tree. Normally it has a path cleared and I would think getting 90 degrees to the tree would be a hassle as other trees would be in your way all the time. I got around this with mine by making the hoist on the end and it can swivel 360 degrees. Electric winch with wedge on ram means no pull backs on resplit. Swing away tables keep it from hitting the ground till done. If you have back issues make SURE the height of the beam is up there.

Don't know the size of the tractor but steel adds up and hanging of the front is going to be a lot of weight. Is it 4wd? It'll take away all the traction if not and be hard on the front end parts. Check ou the link below for some ideas.

Kevin,
I plan to not be doing much in the woods, if they can't be drug out as whole logs or picked up and carted out, and do require splitting in the woods then I think by putting it in the vertical position and raising it up with the hydraulic lift I can get it in about anywhere. Looking at a beam length of about 6.5' if my rough math is close.
The wedge would be on the cylinder for vertical use and to not pull back for a second split. Yes side troughs are definitely in the works.

The tractor is a front deck mower. Like a very heavy duty garden tractor backwards basically. You sit over the drive wheels, with deck or in this case splitter, out in front of you. Steer axle and engine rear mounted. I think the splitter will weigh similar to the deck and thus a relatively factory balance will be maintained. Some ballast can be added as needed.
I think I have most of it worked out in my head to where it can be used horizontal, vertical and inverted by pulling a couple pins and placing it in the correct position.

Keep the thinking juices flowing! What else is missing on a first class splitter that would make it super easy to use and more efficient?
Thanks!

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423245299832.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423245299832.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 48
An auto cycle valve is a big plus as well, meaning the push block advances and retracts in one cycle.
I believe the splitter I had was 32gpm.
John

An auto cycle valve is a big plus as well, meaning the push block advances and retracts in one cycle.
I believe the splitter I had was 32gpm.
John
I'd love an auto cycle but they're quite pricey. I can always upgrade that later pretty easy. 32 gpm! Gollydang that's about the speed of a kinetic splitter!

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Very nice!

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

One thing I would suggest. Did a little looking around and most 3 point splitters average around 400 lbs. That is without tables and extras so I'd add another 200 lbs to be safe. Then add the weight of a larger log on top of that. Weigh your deck off the machine. Put deck back on and add the difference of weight to the deck and drive it around. Then try it in the woods on soft ground. I think this will aide in your decision.

Good idea Kevin. I can always add more counter weight to the back. This thing is super heavy duty it won't have complaint about it with a bit of reasonable care driving.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Got out of work early today, went and got some steel, came home to find the hydraulics at the door of my shop woohoo! Baileynet.com hooked me up good. Got some work done today on it, beam length of 7', mocked up lift arms and clamped beam to it, strapped cylinder to beam, she picks it up just fine. Lots of brackets, steel, hardware and fluid to add. Beam is 8.5' long but will get cut down to right at 7'. Got the wedge, slider plate and tabs, and cylinder mounting tab cut, taking them to work tomorrow to drill on the bridgeport and mill an edge on the wedge. Beam is 6"x6" H beam, 3/8" flange, 1/4" web. Wedge, cylinder mount and slider plate all 3/4" steel along with foot plate for end of beam. Making it invert will be easy. Making it go vertical won't be too difficult but due to the pivot point location, standing it up will not be easy. I gotta do more thinking on that one. This is not the finished working height, it'll be a bit taller. This was just a test to see how the hydraulics handled it. It's low on fluid due to a leak, so it's whining a lot but no sense topping it off when I'll be unhooking lines to add quick connects anyway.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423537770044.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423537770044.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423537799684.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423537799684.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423537821927.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423537821927.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 51
Got out of work early today, went and got some steel, came home to find the hydraulics at the door of my shop woohoo! Baileynet.com hooked me up good. Got some work done today on it, beam length of 7', mocked up lift arms and clamped beam to it, strapped cylinder to beam, she picks it up just fine. Lots of brackets, steel, hardware and fluid to add. Beam is 8.5' long but will get cut down to right at 7'. Got the wedge, slider plate and tabs, and cylinder mounting tab cut, taking them to work tomorrow to drill on the bridgeport and mill an edge on the wedge. Beam is 6"x6" H beam, 3/8" flange, 1/4" web. Wedge, cylinder mount and slider plate all 3/4" steel along with foot plate for end of beam. Making it invert will be easy. Making it go vertical won't be too difficult but due to the pivot point location, standing it up will not be easy. I gotta do more thinking on that one. This is not the finished working height, it'll be a bit taller. This was just a test to see how the hydraulics handled it. It's low on fluid due to a leak, so it's whining a lot but no sense topping it off when I'll be unhooking lines to add quick connects anyway.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

That's gonna work just fine!

I like the mower idea.

It gave me an idea

If the splitter faced away from the seat instead of up.

U could drive up to big pieces and split them. No lifting. Split the wood from the side.

It would work for smaller pieces if you can raise and lower it. Provided the splitting area was built for it.

Just sit on mower and push pieces into opening and pop em open.
Wish i kept my old mower

Timberjak

I like the mower idea.

It gave me an idea

If the splitter faced away from the seat instead of up.

U could drive up to big pieces and split them. No lifting. Split the wood from the side.

It would work for smaller pieces if you can raise and lower it. Provided the splitting area was built for it.

Just sit on mower and push pieces into opening and pop em open.
Wish i kept my old mower

Timberjak
I was planning on that, don't know that I really need it to completely invert, just horizontal would suffice. I don't think I need it to go vertical really, except I need to get the width down. 7' is simply too wide for a lot of things. If I trailer it, my utility trailer is 6' 4" between the sides. 7' is pretty wide for some trails as well so I don't know exactly how I'm gonna do this. By the time I get the pivot point worked out, it's going to be a ton to lift on the heavy end, to make it swing up into vertical position. We discussed maybe a winch up top of the roll bar to pull it up into position. This would probably work pretty well but I'm not settled on that. I'll start fabricating the pivot assembly tonight and see what I can come up with.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Looks like you would have to set a log on the beam to split in video. Lift by hand or winch.

Im suggesting rotating your splitting beam/cylinder/wedge 90 degrees

Then no lifting

Timberjak

I understand, you were reading my mind the first time you posted it lol I haven't got that far yet just doing a hydraulic test at this point.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

The vertical idea would not be needed with my suggestion.

If length is an issue fab some wheels on it and tow it lengthwise. Make the wheels removable. And a pin style attachment for the splitter to the arms of mower

The hoses could be quick connects

Timberjak

It already attaches with pins. I mow with this thing too so quick disconnects are already gonna happen. Towing it, hmm Idk... lining it up to attach it to the tractor unit would be really difficult in the field.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

I think once I get my heights set up properly the pivot point will be at a better spot for vertical flip, and a cantilever with a strong pull spring underneath the beam could help assist with the weight and balance of having such a long cylinder and beam. Then, with it vertical, hopefully I can get it to raise up high enough for decent ground clearance so it can be transported easier on trailers and narrow trails. The height in these pictures is still way too low but that's not an issue. This was a slap together mock up to check lifting ability.
In other good news I just found out that my box of goodies has arrived so I can put my MS360 back together too woohoo!

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Back