Ultimate log splitter build help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got holes punched in cylinder mount tab, wedge and slider, and edges machined on the wedge and slider. I had some other work to do in the shop first when I got home but I had a few minutes to work on the lift frame. Played around with geometry some and got it right where it needs to be I think. The working height in horizontal will be around 3', and at this height the pivot point for the vertical mode is in a much more reasonable spot. I'm liking it.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Central Boiler CL5036 heating my house, water and 30x40 shop
04 Ram 3500 Cummins QCLB flatbed 4wd
Custom built 4wd Lawn Boy garden tractor with a slew of attachments
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423653811038.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423653811038.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423653859672.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423653859672.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423653887871.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423653887871.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423653901484.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423653901484.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423653923484.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423653923484.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 75
Progress is slow as I keep having to deal with other things like my full time job and selling stuff. However after a new alternator still wasn't charging (old one tested bad twice) I found the regulator to be bad and new one came in, all working good now so I'm happy, and a hydraulic leak is just a connection which I'm sure needs snugged up so that's good. I came up with a really slick mechanism I personally think is brilliant, I will have it hopefully done tonight and if so I'll post a couple pics and video of it to show off. Woohoo!

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Feast your eyes!
Ok here's what I've been working on for the splitter!
The big horizontal flat stock bar is just tacked on there to represent the actual splitter beam. Since this is a triple mode unit, this movement makes it rotate itself. Lower it and it rolls down to drive up to a piece and split from the seat. Raise it and it rolls back upright for normal horizontal style splitter action (operator standing next to machine) if you have a big piece you don't want to lift, you can lower and roll it down and simply roll the log into place between the wedge and foot.
Jacobsen splitter project:

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Pretty slick! One thing I'd suggest is to use collars on the shafts ends to help spread the load and for wear reasons. Drill and tap for a zerk so you can get the grease in there. I always like using triple wall pipe as most of the work is roughed in for you. Might add a little weight but it sure would make it last longer.

MVC-018S_16.JPG

That's how it's setup on the chassis end of the links and the other end has 3/4" chromoly heim joints with teflon and kevlar inserts (way overkill but I had them laying around) haven't added collars to the upper mounting brackets yet but I'm going to.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Ok here's where it's at right now... I'm holding off on cutting the beam to length just in case, but it should be right at 7' .... I'm not done with the lifting mechanism, still playing around with different springs. The hydraulics lifted it all ok without springs until I added the rollover device, the added leverage necessitates springs to assist. Not the end of the world just trial and error to find the right combination. I tried some lighter springs not enough. I have a trip spring off of a truck snow plow, gonna try it next. Each spring I try requires different brackets so lots of tedious fab, more welding, then cutting and grinding off the ones that don't work. Kind of a waste of materials but no great invention worked perfect the first time (how many tries did it take to get a reliable working light bulb?) Anyway here's some eye candy for now. I think I have a rough idea how I'm gonna do the swing arm for the control valve. The cylinder mount tab and wedge/slider are just tacked in place. I ditched the vertical idea. Won't be needed. I'll make a handle for the hydraulic valve control pedal so you can raise/lower it from out front, if you find a large round while going through the pile and don't want to get back on the tractor, just lower it and roll the log into the jaws. Then back to upright position when done. Should be slick.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423938033695.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423938033695.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 55
Sorry I've been taking a break from this for a few days so I don't have updates. Been working on some other projects like rebuilding my MS360 and plowing snow. Now that the saw is done I can get back to this thing. I need to figure out a lift assist spring next. Once I get that lined out I just need a few more pieces of steel and it'll be ready for the final heavy welds and plumb it up. Oh and make a mount for the valve. And brace the lift frame. I think that's it lol

OK I've finally got some more work done on this thing! I got the spring assist figured out after several trial and error attempts. It works good now, I do have more weight to add but I also have yet to cut the beam down to length so maybe ok. I fabricated the valve mount arm which is adjustable to be operated from the seat or from out front. And built a jack stand which is adjustable height. This more of a safety feature than anything. Yes I'm going to put a safety cable through the spring also. I have several brackets to cut and grind off, from failed attempts to use different spring setups. That was a painful ordeal because many springs I tried weren't rated for particular numerical weight values, which didn't matter because I had no way of measuring how much strength I needed the spring to have. None of these pics represent the final product, I did some clean up and such after them but I got excited.

Didn't get very much done tonight by the time I got home but replaced the temporary 1/2" pivot bolts with 3/4" bolts going through pipe bushings I welded in. Unfortunately that's about all I got done before hunger pains took over and I went in for the night... More gussets and clean up to come...
13803024a06474dfb7f656b016a53de5.jpg
28bc27961447185393ecefe54fd3128e.jpg

The hydraulic shop loves me today, dropped a huge chunk of cash on hoses and fittings. So rewarding to see it move! Video tells all... I still need to get some 1" thick plate for the ends and cut the beam down. Speeds up a lot with more throttle, this was about half throttle maybe. Jacobsen homemade log splitter project:

OK it's finally done! A wee bit of painting left to do. Works like a charm so far. A little trial and error along the way but it all paid off! The log tray is removable. Cycle time is very nice and it doesn't have a serious amount of tonnage at 15 tons but it has done some twisty knotted stuff if you pick the right lines. I'm sure most everyone has a scrap pile they either noodle or throw on the burn pile. I have bonfires periodically so I'll probably just use those pieces for that. The valve swings out to use splitter in normal position, and as shown can be operated from the seat. Using a cam style swivel and link arms, the beam rotates forward 90* as you hydraulically lower the attachment, so you can drive up to a log and split from the seat. The last picture shows it in the lowered position.

295d9b1d405a2fb381f711c52c49cf76.jpg
a8e31d8a3d5eb4bd5ea0a536a6c698be.jpg
d9bb858f6737a124e824bd67df72b87f.jpg
99b0a21dbe43f711237fad5c9bcdfc5d.jpg

e01b7e0a4911c643c03d2bae16a39af7.jpg

Back