Yes, yet another wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

513yj

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found a chunk of what looked kinda like big old maple. After cutting it up and tossing it on the splitter it doesn't look like maple anymore. The only other hardwoods around are yellow birch and beech so I'm not sure what this is. Pretty heavy and could be maple on it's way to punk.

DSC00612.JPG DSC00613.JPG DSC00613.JPG DSC00614.JPG

Im gonna try to pull the other rounds off the trailer if it stops raining to investigate more. If it is a cottonwood it would have been the only one in 20 square miles.

Ditto on the elm. Third picture, the bark looks like winged elm.

Could be. The split stuff looks like it. We have that around here but it never gets large diameter at all. Maybe eight inches or a little larger, they all croak. Good firewood though.

I cut where jobbers have dropped mature trees and what looked like the stump from this tree was about 28-30 inches. It was totally rotted in the center so I couldn't see the typical maple heart.

Young rock elm IMO.

Very good firewood.
Although yours looks like it's got some punk to it in general.
Every other species I see gets a pass for Rock elm, then I collect everything else.

Maple here in Ontario grows thick bark like that. If it's a big tree it would have had thick bark. Look at some old pics of huge old-growth trees of all different species and you'll notice that the bark on all of them is very thick.Logging_oregon.jpg

Maple here in Ontario grows thick bark like that. If it's a big tree it would have had thick bark. Look at some old pics of huge old-growth trees of all different species and you'll notice that the bark on all of them is very thick.View attachment 361242
Agreed - but we're not talking about a tree that is 6' dbh. Looks more to me like 12" - 20". I don't recall seeing the size of the rounds in the original post.

Looks like the stump was around 28-30 inches and this chunk is about 18-20 or so.. Sure looks like maple on the inside but it's not as dark as I'm used to. I'll get a pic of the side when I can.

It's hard to tell with tops. I have been fooled a few times. I was cutting tops after a woods was logged, it was mostly pin and burr oak. Got a big old maple top that looked just like oak, couldn't tell till I split it. Even then it looked about the same since burr and pin isn't real straight grained, at least the tops anyway. Some people are gonna get a little maple mixed in with their oak this year. Oh well it burns good.

Back