Husky roller guide??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilarch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've reading on here tonight. (Newb to arboristsite) and found out the husky roller guide needs modification to work on a stihl chain.

I had thrown it aside as junk when I got it a couple weeks ago. I've gotten 4-6 sharpenings on my chain now and figured I'd give it another go...worked much better for me this time. It seemed like it set the the file a little high, but I went against my gut and completed the chain. Looked good, and but didn't cut quite as good as normal....threw more dust than chips...but cut much better than the chain usually does by the time it turns into a duster.

This is on a Stihl chisel chain. I plan to buy an Oregon chain next time. Can I just jump down a file size for the stihl chain until...or keep hand-filing the stihl and just wait for an Oregon chain to use this guide?

I'm under the impression that for-the-money Oregon are great. But I'm running a ms460 with 24" bar and the oiler seems borderline...oilomatic actually gonna help in keeping the chain cool?

Running a solid bar as well, don't know if that makes a difference.

Sorry, lost of questions....edjumacate me, I'm new:cry:

If ya think that it is riding high on the stihl chain a smaller file should help. I have found that I can get the chains sharper than factory when I use the roller guide. You just have to keep and even amount removed from each tooth to keep from getting a vibration going.

Thanks, yeah, I need to check the lengths before I start in tomorrow. Felt a what I think was a little more jitter after using the Husq guide. Of course, I tried to bring the rakers down too...lord knows I probably mess that up somehow.

I'll think I'll try the roller again tomorrow with a slightly smaller file. If nothing else I need to use up some tooth so I can try my hand at the rakers again!:clap:

If ya think that it is riding high on the stihl chain a smaller file should help. I have found that I can get the chains sharper than factory when I use the roller guide. You just have to keep and even amount removed from each tooth to keep from getting a vibration going.

The roller guide comes in several versions, made for differet styles of Oregon chain.

When using the blue bodied roller guide on a Stihl 3/8" RSC etc, you should make the front slots that fits over the chain slightly deeper, so the guide sits a tad deeper on the chain - and remember that Stihl recommends a 13/64 file vs the 7/32 that Oregon recommends.

Also remember that the guide is set for 25 degree top-plate vs the 30 degrees recommended by Stihl. If you want to stay with 30 degrees, just use the witness marks on the teeth for lineup, not the guide.

Last edited:
I have been using the roller guide for some time on my stihl chains and I think it works great.I recently bought a couple more (3/8,.325) at Farm Supply because I saw that they now had a depth gauge attached.Sadly, these don't fit on stihl chain (too small)Which chain does Husky use that would fit the stihls?

Back