Throwbag nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why use snaps? Tie a loop on the end of line, put loop through ring and around bag and wallah! You can now attach or remove bag without untieing anything and you can attach rope in same manner

Yes, I've tried the two hand, cradle throw too...I guess I just have to accept the fact that I...throw like a...'gasp'...GIRL!!!:dizzy:

I'll get it one day...thanks for all the tips and comiserations! (yes, go get your dictionary...)

I just put a bowline at the end of the line, and connect the bag with those cheapo $.99 biners you can pick up at walmart. Dont use the REALLY tiny ones, seems like the gates arent heavy enough and will clip themselves onto stuff a little too easy.

Bad shot, I just slide the bag to the ground, unclip, pull the line back through, snap the bag back on and go for it again, done.

Plus the length of the bowline is just right that I can girth hitch it onto the spliced eye of my rope, and have a very seamless connection that makes pulling the line/rope through tight crotches fairly easy. :clap:

Why use snaps? Tie a loop on the end of line, put loop through ring and around bag and wallah! You can now attach or remove bag without untieing anything and you can attach rope in same manner

What I used to do is smudge that area of the line and put a slip-knot in it there to throw with, then you eliminate the infinitesimal chance of the little overhand from getting caught in a crotch (happens, personal experiance).

Knots get caught more than spliced eyes?
Bowline is the smallest tied loop - Brummel eye is much smaller.
The snap replaces the 'grip knot' - makes for a very reliable & repeatable grip.
I agree with TM that the quality of the grip is directly related to the quality of the shot.

... just trying to reduce the "chance of ... getting caught in a crotch (happens, personal experiance)"
:cheers:

Last edited:
Bermie, I think back to the days when I twisted an eye bolt into a baseball
with the bright idea
that,
let's just say trials and tribulations have been paid.
attachment.php

I remember when there was only 3 mm polypropylene 'slickline' available. Then the spectra era.......
So crude and rudimentary

attachment.php

Then the BigShot was invented. The arborist world changes forever

THEN Zing-It was invented

and BAM!

The playing field is leveled. A dependable and well-behaved line. A giant slingshot There was the 2.2 mm era when I just thought it was such an improvement over the crap line(s) I'd been using for so many years of the early nineties. Then FlingIt comes along in this excellent ORANGE 2.2 mm, I am thinking this is the greatest improvement in line, wow, what a significant step up. A manly freakin-duty line, thousands of shots and throws on 2.2 mm Dyneema.
Then going back to spectra for a spell to see if I was maybe underappreciating it,
attachment.php

then (and this is about 5 years ago) I finally got around to trying 1.75 mm Zing-It Dyneema and and yet another bump in performance. I've tried different lines, side by side, sometimes on the same reel.
attachment.php

Bermie, I could go the rest of my career on 1.75 mm Dyneema line, I love it so. I like to throw now and then, for sentimental reasons, the bigger 2.2 mm. I remember the things I liked about it, but the thinner 1.75 at 400 pound tensile, Bermie, I just summed the last 16 years in the trenches to bring you this distilled crystallized nugget of information vital to purest essence of who we are as treecare professionals, I bring you.......

What was the question?

attachment.php

Ha ha TM, very good!!

There was really no question, just my miseries! And a subtle hint for HELP!

I reckon everyone has had one of those outcomes in your first picture...I know I have.
I almost don't like to admit it, bit I am still using polypro line...its what someone here had some of when I first started, and there's not convenient shop around to go get something different...however i'll take your advice and put the 1.75 Dyneema on my shopping list, to go with spare silky blades, some RMC chain, a new wirecore...

:cheers:

There is a downside to the neat, slick, super strong Dyneema line: it is very easy to cut into your hands, due to it's smaller diameter.

It is almost mandatory to wrap it around a stick to pull hard on it. Damage to your hands is definitely a concern.

It is almost mandatory to wrap it around a stick to pull hard on it. Damage to your hands is definitely a concern.

Since we have an abundance of carabiners, take a few wraps on one of those. They are much easier to hang onto, and you can clip it to a beltloop, or even a t-shirt.

I wouldn't think of pulling a shotline without grippy gloves. It speeds things up and increases dexterity and improves fine grip. They climb well They seem to be made to go along with shotline and 11 mm rope. Speeds things up.

I can pull a line bare-handed, but it's no fun.

attachment.php

My fingers are a wreck from what little time I don't wear them. I don't hesitate to wrap a shotline around my gloved hand a couple times for that apex moment of up and over. I wouldn't really want to do that bare-handed.

Having grippy gloves is like cheating, but I'll take an advantage anywhere I can can get it. It makes a really big difference in speed pulling shotline and you can get them here.

all you need to make sure of is that those gloves are tight fitting or else things get sloppy. i got a pair that were a weeee bit to big and ended up throwing them out of the tree.

What a great thread, my 2 cents. Using zing it I tie the throwline to the bag with a round turn and 1 slip half hitch. Once you set the knot it won't come out, but you pull the short tail and it comes right out. Quick and more streamlined than a mini beaner. I like the harrison rocket bag with the small chrome ring, the small ring is less likely to hang up.

What a great thread, my 2 cents. Using zing it I tie the throwline to the bag with a round turn and 1 slip half hitch. Once you set the knot it won't come out, but you pull the short tail and it comes right out. Quick and more streamlined than a mini beaner. ...

Yep! I tie mine every time, in a similar fashion.

I am going to check out the tied loop or perhaps a spliced loop for even quicker attachment, as described somewhere above. (I don't know if my throw line can be spliced. I'll need to get out the reading glasses before I can find out.:))

Latest posts

Back