Husqvarna , The Whole Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even more saws. We have discussed what the meaning of "XP" is, and here is a statement from Husqvarna on that:

attachment.php

This is the last pictures:

The first picture is of one of Husqvarnas older motorcycles. You can also see small models of a car that never made it to a full scale working vehicle.

Next picture below is one of the most spectacular things on the whole museum. Take a minute and guess what it is. You won't be right thogh... Clue: It is an genuine OPE thingy...

attachment.php

Believe it or not, it's a lawn mover engine that's started with a small amount of gunpowder. They wanted to create an easy-to-start lawn mover engine for women and old people who might have a hard time starting one in the traditional way. However, those small loads of gunpowder was classified as ammunition, and since we have restrictive gun laws here you cant buy ammunition unless you have a license for the gun it goes to, so this lawn mower was not a big success...

Next pic is of the beautiful sewing machine called "Freja" (who was one of our old gods, among Tor, Oden and those boys), which was manufactured between 1873 and 1925.

Here below is me, my wife and two daughters, re-fueling at a café overlooking lake Vättern, after spending the day at the museum.

attachment.php

The very last photo is kind of a compilation of what Husqvarna has manufactured the most of in units, until they were bought by Electrolux. There has been other business areas too, but these are the most sold articles. As the picture is small and the text in Swedish I'll write it out:

Sewing machines: 8,000,000
Rifles (for hunting): 870,000
Bicycles: 1,100,000
Motocross bikes: 270,000
Mopeds: 170,000
Meat grinders: 12,000,000
Wood- and gas stowes: 1,300,000
Heaters, wood or coal: 790,000
Hubs/gears for bicycles: 5,200,000
Ice cream machines: 1,100,000
Kitchen pottery: 9,000,000
Flat irons: 4,200,000
Waffle irons: 1,800,000
Manual lawn movers: 6,000,000
Outboard engines: 25,000
Chainsaws: 5,000,000

A note on the low number of outboard engines produced: Husqvarna made a deal with a company called Monark: If Monark quit building chain saws, Husqvarna would stop making outboard engines, hence the low number of manufactured units. Monark is one of the best know brands in Sweden for small outboard engines and small open boats.

And that's it, thank you for stopping by.

Last edited:
Thank you Maccall - Now we just need Mange/Magnus to join in here! :rockn:

Looks like you saved this tread! :rockn: :rockn:

Last edited:
Great posts Maccall!!!!!!!
Thank you very much for the tour with pictures!!:rock:

That was good stuff!

Husqvarna, The Whole Story!

Great pictures Maccall, thank you.

The oldest building in the center of the first photo is that where the water works?
Looking at the list of implements that Husqvarna manufactured I noticed they made 6,000,000 Manual lawn mowers, I'm smiling thats a lot of mowers!
THALL did you seee that; 6,000,000 Manual lawn mowers....he he he.

You have to burn your wood somewhere and Husqvarna had some business with this as well. Look at the first picture, I think I would easily trade my car (and it's an Audi!) to have that installed and working in my kitchen.

attachment.php

This kind of combined owen and stove below were what we did most cooking on, and in, a hundred years ago in Sweden. Most houses would have at least one of these, often several. My mothers summer house, located only 60 kilometers from Husqvarna, was built in 1907 and has four of these, and several others. There were a lot of different brands though, not just Husqvarna.

attachment.php

Thanks Maccall
I just love the craftsmanship Husqvarna puts into there products.

Husqvarna, The Whole Story!

Anyone have some history behind the XP saw line? I thought the first saws in this line appeared about 1988, but I'm not sure. What model was the first XP saw?, maybe the 266XP?

Great pictures Maccall, thank you.

The oldest building in the center of the first photo is that where the water works?

Thank you, I've been sitting on those pictures for a while, thinking I should post them sometime, just that it didn't happen. But now this thread seemed to need some CPR... :p

About the water, well I really don't know!

But the small river, Husqvarnaån, is led in between the old house, which is called "the smithy", and newer building, which holds the museum, so that both buildings could actually benefit from the water power, even at the same time. I do not remeber seeing any water wheels, but they could have been either external to the buildings and later removed from there, or been internal, but in a part of the buildings not shown to the public. If I would guess I would go for removed though...

Since both buildings have contained activities which would have benefited from the water power, my guess is both buildings used it.

Have you people seen the device with the black tube and the black-and-white thingy in the middle of this picture? Know what it is? I do, and it's actually said to work pretty well...

attachment.php

Since the tube is connected to the flywheel area, does it have to do something with a heating or cooling device, or registering rpm ...? I am curious....spill the beans..

Last edited:
Awww, that's new to me. never heard of it before. Sure looks a lil clumsy to operate though. thanks for the info.

PS. what means Grässklippare in swedish ?

I read it as grassclipper, meaning maybe lawnmower or trimmer.

Back