Husqvarna , The Whole Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will chime in now.

Great contribution to the thread man from Sweden. Awesome picture.
Since you are here , we will no longer need Manny and Woodie.:hmm3grin2orange:

It is, Isn't it.

Better then reading it out of a book, Eh. ;)

Ewwwwwwwwww that sounds like compitetion to me, goodie goodie. Like pictures do you, good, I think I know where I can find several 1000 old Stihl pictures, I'll be sure to include them over in that "book" thread,Eh, you know that big thread, just for you, :) :)

Knock your self out.
I'm enjoying this thread.

I don't care how long it goes on.
Tell ya what Ole boy. You won by default Ok.

Oh about the pictures, Glad to see your using your own Ideas. ;)

Last edited:
Knock your self out.
I'm enjoying this thread.

I don't care how long it goes on.
Tell ya what Ole boy. You won by default Ok.

Naaaa thats no good, shoot. When you said better than the book thread I assumed you was comparing the two threads meaning competition or you was being a smart azz, one or the other,LOLOL We're big boys Manual and I'm just a big a smart azz as you so its all good and I'm grinning when I say that, not mad at all.

Yes the pics in this thread are great. I been watching Mange tell the story and I think its awesome. Macalls part was great as well. Lets keep this thread going, I, just like you, am learning from it and enjoying it too, I'm seeing Husky saws I've never seen before so I'm liking this alot just like you ole boy,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Naaaa thats no good, shoot. When you said better than the book thread I assumed you was comparing the two threads meaning competition or you was being a smart azz, one or the other,LOLOL We're big boys Manual and I'm just a big a smart azz as you so its all good and I'm grinning when I say that, not mad at all.

Yes the pics in this thread are great. I been watching Mange tell the story and I think its awesome. Macalls part was great as well. Lets keep this thread going, I, just like you, am learning from it and enjoying it too, I'm seeing Husky saws I've never seen before so I'm liking this alot just like you ole boy,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I may have this wrong but,I am told a true smart azz,

can sat on a lollypop and tell you what flavor it is: Is it?

creamsickle or orange crush :hmm3grin2orange:

Well young one Im glad you are learning. Tonight its from the husky thread the other night from the bookerdog.:cheers:

A bit more of the Museum and factory tour with Ulf.

Here Ulf talk's about the 65 and what was changed from the prototype to the real thing. This was the first saw he was involved in and to quote him it was a "Perfect winter saw".
hpim2144wn1.jpg

The MS90 used old teknikes like the valve intake and still too heavy to continue on so completly new designs were needed.
Model MS 90G was the last version.

hpim2135xv7.jpg

Mange

Thank you for the pictures. I have really enjoyed reading your post.
Just a few question for you.
What makes the model 65 the "Perfect Winter Saw"?
The model 90 in the bottom picture is that really a MS90 or a A90? I never thought Husky had a MS line of saws.
Just one more request please, If you have ever been to the Jonsered factory could you tell us about that! Maybe some pictures too?

Thank You

Jonsereds will have to wait a bit...

This was the perfect winter saw as it did not freeze up easely and it went best in colder temp's. There was a lot of troubble with vapor lock's and fuel related issues in summer time. When the saw ran goor it was hard to beat.

90 saws are MS 90A, MS 90E, MS 90F, MS 90G.
The first 70 saw is also MS 70. Then they dropped MS and went to 70E and 70F.

MS stands for MotoSåg. Swedish for Chainsaw.
At the time this was a experiment to expand. They did not have any saws prior this MS 90 but had lots of engins produced.

There are a Moped made in Denmark that has same crank/cylinder/piston as MS 90.
I have seen a couple saws with a diffrent plate on them it say's nothing about the saw just cc and serial and it is really wieard.
It is possible they got a hand full tag's wrong at assembly.
Best explanaition I have found sofar.

So Husqvarna had a MS saw line before Sthil? This is importain history here.

MS surely was a Husky thing - the (much) lesser brand adopted it several decades later.

They were close to 4 decades late with the really integrated anti-vibe system, as well......:blob2: :blob2:

Btw, Stihl was only the third tier at best about 1970 - Jonsereds no doubt was number one, and Husky number two......:blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
MS surely was a Husky thing - the (much) lesser brand adopted it several decades later.

They were close to 4 decades late with the really integrated anti-vibe system, as well......:blob2: :blob2:

Btw, Stihl was only the third tier at best about 1970 - Jonsereds no doubt was number one, and Husky number two......:blob2: :blob2:

You tell em troll,it aint changed either :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes the 65 had vapour lock issues. I experienced it allot cutting in the summer with it, I just got rid of my 65, couldn't find some parts I needed. This post is making me miss it.

Ahhh..

So if I would say I have four five parts saws and a box of new stuff for it you would beat yourself blue and yellow?

Ok. I won't say that then.

The History of Husqvarna.

I will try to tell the story of Husqvarna as correctly as I can.

The History of this company is longer than many country's.
Chainsaws has not been a big part of its life. This may seem odd, but I will do my best to explain.
To make this easier I decided to split this up and leave out the Motorcycles and the other products they made with great success and focus on the main product in Husqvarnas Life, Gun's.

The Swedish king Gustav II Adolf, wanted more guns made since Sweden was unstable at the time, year 1630.
He decided to build more factories and Husqvarna was chosen for its water but there was also was a gunpowder factory.
1640 the factory was started, and made pipes and complete rifles. At this period Sweden was a great state, about 3 times bigger than today and wars were fought at its borders just about everywhere.
When the king died the wars stopped and there was no longer any need for 3 factories.
The Husqvarna factory was sold to a man with the name Ehrepreuss in 1689, and he continued as a private business. It was no longer a company owned by the Sweden Crown, but the remained a significant part of the company as they bought 99% of the rifles. Now Husqvarna made about 11 000 muskets and pistols a year, Handmade!
They were making black powder pistols and muskets.
Husqvarna was then at this time a pioneer and leading company in what we here call precision industry or fine mechanics. They were known for the quality and reliability of the guns.
Up till 1720 Husqvarna had made 230 000 gun's. Most for the Sweden Army.
After this long period of war's Sweden was tired and pretty much broke. It was a time of poverty and the Crown was in need of money, not guns. Sales dropped very fast from 11 000 to 1 500 and people lay of their work.
This was a hard time and 1840 it was sold to Ankarkrona, who continued making guns, but realized this will not last forever so he started making sewing machines, stoves, engines, and a lot of other products. In Husqvarna at this time, the factory was more than just a source of labour it was a pig part of the social structure too.
There was schools built and Husqvarna gave a lot more back to the community than just salaries. Ankarkrona was not just a sharp business man, but also very intelligent. He realized that a good product cheep enugh for all to buy would sell a lot. There were multiple of Husqvarna products in every home at the turn of the century.
At the end of 1860 at a time of instability in most of Europe sales increased on the guns. News like rear loaded rifles and guns had entered and now production increased rapidly.
1867 the company Husqvarna Vapenfabrik AB was formed, and they mainly made Remington Rifles on license for the Swedish army.
1877 a man called William Tham was appointed Director of the company and big reforms were made. Now the guns were not mainly meant for Army, but for civil use.
In the company there was of curse many brilliant inventors and craftsmen that made Husqvarna stay in top of the European gun manufacturing.
A legend was August Fredrik Hagst?m and his family. He was manager for the gun manufacturing. It was not uncommon that the workers lead their children in the same line of work and skill's. so was the case with Hagstr?m.
His son. Karl William was also a brilliant gunsmith and is mostly known and heard of for his test he had the men do when they were hired. He gave them two peaces of iron and a file.
If they got them so even and smooth that they held together, they had a job! He showed them how to do it correctly...
His son Hugo Hagstr?m replaced him after his death 1917.
By this time the generations of Hagstr?m had made a big impression on the gun world! Big and small series of rifle?s and guns were made. Some even special ordered from a certain gun smith they liked better.
In 1970 it was an end of an era. Husqvarna turned over the gun manufacturing to the Sweden military factories FFV.
They continued making small series of rifles up till 1989 when the company celebrated 300 year anniversary.

1978 Elektrulux bought Husqvarna Vapenfabrik AB.

This will get you started...

There has been a Husqvarna rifle (M98 30.06) in my family longer than Husqvarna has been making chainsaws.

Yes, Magnus is indeed an early collector... I was able to visit him last year and at the time, he had at least some 300 saws in his shed and many parts saws. Some very rare saws as well.... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

As I remember it, he used to have a lot more than that - but he has been slimming the collection lately, getting rid of dupli- tripli-cates and such....

Back