Stihl MS 170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihltp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking for your opinion. I have an 038 super pro for heavier jobs at some of my rental properties but was thinking of getting something lighter for smaller jobs. My local dealer here in Richmond Hill has the MS170 on sale for $235 CAD and it comes with a complete package, carrying case, oil, cap, etc.

What do you think?:)

If there's not a lot of $$ different, I'd reccomend you step up to the 180. Minimal weight difference, and more power.

Hi all,
Looking for your opinion. I have an 038 super pro for heavier jobs at some of my rental properties but was thinking of getting something lighter for smaller jobs. My local dealer here in Richmond Hill has the MS170 on sale for $235 CAD and it comes with a complete package, carrying case, oil, cap, etc.

What do you think?:)

MS 170 - not at any price.......:censored:

my (works) MS170 is ok, it's fairly light and rather small though. ok for a second saw but given the choice I'd go for something bigger.

No hijack intended, but I've got this Partner 351 which works well but I'd like a much longer bar to reach stuff on the ground without b0rking my spine reaching down. Any reason why I shouldn't just fit a nice long bar and chain for nipping off branches near the ground? i don't like wasting stuff and I'll take anything down to about 1" diameter for firewood. hey, if it'll burn, it'll burn.

Its a 30cc saw, and if you're not planning on cutting anything over 4'', its probably OK. They use 3/8 .043 chain.:popcorn:

I had a 170 as my first saw. Went from there to the 250, then to a 026.

I liked the 170 for a homeowner saw. At the time I did not know I was going to really enjoy chainsaws and be using them more frequently. For around the yard work and occasional use, they are fine. For not alot more the 180 has a little more power. With a sharp chain you can cut some decent things. If you plan on cutting for firewood, save yourself some money by getting something bigger now rather than later.

If you are only going to take out small trees and light cutting, they are more than adequate. Just take care of it like you would any other small engine and it will last you long time.

Skip it and get a MS180. It's the same saw with 15-20% more power. I love mine. This is hard Locust I'm cutting here.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMZSkGi6CTY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MMZSkGi6CTY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have an 017, it's about a 15 year older model of the 170. it still works fine as a home owner saw.
I also have a 029 for anything bigger.
if it's to big a job for the 029, I ain't gonna do it anyway.

Did I forget to mention that?:). I widened the exhaust and lowered the intake since it couldn't be widened much. The muffler's modded, a fully adjustable carb installed, and a 7-pin rim.

My stock 180 14inch blade chewing through ash about 45cm/20 sometihing inch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vVRLdrQcrsU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vVRLdrQcrsU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7sleeper

Thanks Steve, I will keep my eye open for a good deal. My other alternative given that I really don't do a lot of cutting anymore is just keep using my 038?

:)

A friend of mine used to have an 027, then he bought his wife a 017. He's been heating with wood for 20 years with those two saws now.
Eventually the 027 died, and he just uses the 017 for everything now. He claims that with a sharp narrow kerf chain the 017 cuts about as fast as the 027 and uses less fuel. I want to put my 13 year old 36cc Husky with 3/8 lo profile up against his 017 and see how they compare.

No you need a new saw. Just spend more time on here until you figure out the saw you want...I mean need, NEED.:)

Latest posts

Back