Would you buy one of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can somebody help me by posting a poll for this?

How many of you would actually buy one of these fine "Power Horse" chainsaws? You know they are professional quality. However, Northern Tool no longer lists them for sale.....I'm certain that the demand for these fine products far outstripped the supply.:monkey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerhorse-Chai...temQQimsxZ20081112?IMSfp=TL081112116009r24409

Powerhorse Chain Saw — 45.6cc, 18in. Bar
"The new line of Powerhorse chain saws are engineered to meet the demands of both professionals and homeowners. Powerhorse chain saws deliver power and durability, supported by extensive field testing, elevating technology to a new level of performance."

Wow! a new level of performance!!! I can hardly wait to save up the money to acquire this fine product!

Not to mention the sellers 95.3 feedback score. I guess most first time saw buyers just have no clue...........

RD

i would get one....................................................................................................................................from the trash! lol i wouldnt buy junk if i can get it free!!!!!!!

Look at the cylinder cover...Looks like a Husqvarna to me.

Can somebody help me by posting a poll for this?

How many of you would actually buy one of these fine "Power Horse" chainsaws? You know they are professional quality. However, Northern Tool no longer lists them for sale.....I'm certain that the demand for these fine products far outstripped the supply.:monkey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerhorse-Chai...temQQimsxZ20081112?IMSfp=TL081112116009r24409

Powerhorse Chain Saw — 45.6cc, 18in. Bar
"The new line of Powerhorse chain saws are engineered to meet the demands of both professionals and homeowners. Powerhorse chain saws deliver power and durability, supported by extensive field testing, elevating technology to a new level of performance."

Wow! a new level of performance!!! I can hardly wait to save up the money to acquire this fine product!

Run a "search" for PowerHorse and you will find a few threads. The saws look like Chinese "copy" junk.

In the Northern Tool ad page, there was an action shot of the saw - only problem was that the guy running the saw was holding both the chain brake/front hand guard and the handle...in the same hand. Nice.

JQ

The reason I posted this thread is to draw attention to the cheapening of quality that seems to be becoming the norm. When cheap imitations are offered for sale, people will buy them, thinking they are saving money, which of course they are in the short run. To each his own.

The problem comes when manufacturers of quality products are forced to compete with these products on the basis of price, which is impossible to do while maintaining quality. So the quality is reduced bit by bit, until we end up with lower-grade equipment.

I have never had good luck with cheaply built gas-powered equipment. No amount of cost savings is worth it when you're out in the woods and your saw won't start or run properly.

In order to compete with the likes of "Power Horse," Stihl went to Zama carbs in some of their saws. I was out on a job 40 miles away, helping a friend, and my MS 200T would not run. turns out it was the carburetor, a Zama. Eighty dollars later, the problem is solved. But it did not help me when I was up in a tree that day. It was an eBay find, and the price was low for a new-looking saw. Guess I got what I paid for. Go figure.

With the export American of jobs to China, we need to think about the votes we cast with our dollars, and I for one wonder if a super cheap saw is really such a good deal after all, or if we are just selling ourselves down the Yellow River, so to speak.

our problem is, is that we have decided that we would rather buy cheaper products that are made in china and other countries that buy more expensive goods made locally. This has lead to these companies getting larger and taking over. this is why GM and Ford have declined soo much, people would rather buy smaller Japanese and Chinese import cars than to buy American made cars. Another thing is is that the Chinese government wants to export export export but are refusing to import goods made here. what we were supposed to have was a fair trade agreement where we would each buy goods from each other, instead we are buying the goods and not being able to sell putting us in a bad position. The fact is we just need to stop buying these cheap goods and refuse to buy Chinese junk untill they agree to buy from us too. We also need to stop sending jobs overseas but untill the wealthy businessmen decide that their pockets are full i dont think it will stop.

The problem comes when manufacturers of quality products are forced to compete with these products on the basis of price, which is impossible to do while maintaining quality. So the quality is reduced bit by bit, until we end up with lower-grade equipment.

Actually, quite the opposite was the case for me. My first saw was a green POS. I still have it apart in a 5-gallon bucket hanging in my garage. When I turned the corner from homeowner tools to "real stuff" machinery, it fostered a fondness of quality and begat a hobby for me. I'm not a pro, I can only run one saw at a time, so why on earth do I have as many good saws as as I do? Were my original POS able to meet my actual sawing needs, I'd have never seen chain saws as anything but loud, purpose built tools and thus never supported my Stihl dealer. Funny how that worked.

And nobody say "CAD"!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

In order to compete with the likes of "Power Horse," Stihl went to Zama carbs in some of their saws.

Did you know that a lot of 044s had Zama carbs on them and they are one of the most liked saws on the planet? Zama has nothing to do with trying to compete with a "Power Horse". That's like BWM being worried about Ugo is doing.

Did you know that a lot of 044s had Zama carbs on them and they are one of the most liked saws on the planet? Zama has nothing to do with trying to compete with a "Power Horse". That's like BWM being worried about Ugo is doing.

Were Zamas made in China at that time? Just curious, I don't know the answer.

Back