UTV or ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to possibly buy either a UTV or an ATV to help with getting firewood home. I won't be roading the wood too far.

Which would be a better choice?

Either one will be for work only. Not a play thing.

Opinions please.

UTV. They're heavier for towing and can haul two people more comfortably than a quad. Plus you can carry your saw, gas, and tools in the back. On the down side they cost more and will take up more space in the garage, shop etc.

Last edited:
I'd go w/ ATV...mostly due to narrower when working in the woods...easier to get around. I happen to prefer Arctic Cat...definate workhorses.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wood hauler

I would recommend a compact tractor mine is a diesel 4WD John Deere 760.

You can pick them up used for less then the ATV your looking at...

I use mine for everything.

3 point hitch splitter
Buzz saw
Blade
Loader
Tiller for the garden
forks to handle logs
More...

Mark

You might take a look at Japanese mini trucks. Have cab with heat and can get a dump bed.

I have a Honda 450 foreman & my neighbor has a Kubota UTV. I have used them both for getting wood the Kubota is real nice can pull a lot more weight in a trailer than my Honda. The dump bed on the UTV is nice also. But he paid like $12,000 for the UTV. If $$$$$$ in no object go with the UTV. Here some pics of both.

1-30-09021.jpg

logsplitter007.jpg

Last edited:
I have them all, compact trac with loader, skidsteer with forks and bucket, Honda 250 four wheeler, and a Kawasaki 3010 mule with hyd. dump. Of all od these I use the skidsteer and forks and the mule the most. The mule is a very good machine but the drawback is it is to wide for getting off the trails in my woods. This year I am going to be cutting everything up at the house so I will be using my tractor and dump trailer. If I had to do it all over again I would still buy the mule because it is a work horse. I put racks on it and load it to the top of the racks when I haul wood out.

I would recommend a compact tractor mine is a diesel 4WD John Deere 760.

You can pick them up used for less then the ATV your looking at...

I use mine for everything.

3 point hitch splitter
Buzz saw
Blade
Loader
Tiller for the garden
forks to handle logs
More...

Mark

Yeah, but a new UTV or ATV will have a warrenty. If it breaks, the manufacterer pays for repairs.

If I buy a used tractor, and the hydrolic pump goes out, I just bought a four wheeler's worth of repairs. Don't get me wrong, I want a tractor. That will come in time though.

Price is a concern, and payments will be made. I don't have the cash to buy a new UTV.
As a side note, I did look over a REAL nice Husqvarna UTV at the saw dealer. 12K wasn't a niffty price though. Would have went nice with the new Husky saw. :greenchainsaw:

Don't get fooled by prices for parts. Your warranty will run out eventually if you buy new and parts will cost good money there after. Especially if that little diesel engine has a problem.

I think you should build some more money up and try to open up your options more. Don't cross out used equipment. Just find the stuff that is lightly used, not abused. Payments equal a higher overall cost. 12K + interest isn't gonna be cheap. Pretty much like buying a car.

I have a Honda 450 foreman & my neighbor has a Kabota UTV. I have used them both for getting wood the Kabota is real nice can pull a lot more weight in a trailer than my Honda. The dump bed on the UTV is nice also. But he paid like $12,000 for the UTV. If $$$$$$ in no object go with the UTV. Here some pics of both.

1-30-09021.jpg

logsplitter007.jpg

Sorry man, but it is spelled Kubota. It was driving me a little nuts.:cheers::cheers:

I would vote for the atv due to price, manuevablity, ground clearance, and ease of transport--bed of pick up. Most full size machines can pull 1,000 lbs or more.

Id go with a UTV because they can haul more. Id go with a Yamaha or a Kubota.
Personally, Id stay away from anything that says, "Arctic Cat" or "Polaris" on it unless you want to deal with constant problems.

No problems here yet Octane...300hrs on wife's 400TRV, and 360 hrs on my 650TRV nothing except had to replace wife's battery. My book the Arctic Cats are good to go. I do have an 87 Polaris that still starts right up...had it for 8 yrs...I think I have my 700 bucks back from it.
Good luck in whatever you choose...I do prefer my ATV for gathering purposes over my Ford 1600 tractor w/ front end loader, much easier to manuever in the woods.

No problems here yet Octane...300hrs on wife's 400TRV, and 360 hrs on my 650TRV nothing except had to replace wife's battery. My book the Arctic Cats are good to go. I do have an 87 Polaris that still starts right up...had it for 8 yrs...I think I have my 700 bucks back from it.
Good luck in whatever you choose...I do prefer my ATV for gathering purposes over my Ford 1600 tractor w/ front end loader, much easier to manuever in the woods.

I just noticed your from Big Rapids Michigan.

I went to MOCC, and went to Chippewa Hills HS. Class-o-93

Personally, Id stay away from anything that says, "Arctic Cat" or "Polaris" on it unless you want to deal with constant problems.

I second that!
Glad the other guy has NOT had any problems, but the Artic Cat's are like the old Army Jeeps! You never know who made the engine, the trans, running gear, etc. etc. you get the drift!:bang:
My friend is a machanic, he had a new Artic Cat Mule thing, whatever there called, it had a blown axle and after talking to the dealer and ordering the part, after the third one was wrong, the guy said, I can;t help you, I dont know what part it needs!?:censored:
Buy a Honda!:spam:

I have a UTV, 96' Dodge Cummins':spam:

Of the 2 choices I'd get the ATV with a quality wagon.

But if I knew you personally and actually gave a damn ... I'd take the time to explain why a 10-15 Kubota or similar CUT with a 3PH is the better all around move.

Latest posts

Back