bestcarb adjust article

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
i hope this will be allowed ,it the best article this plowboy has seen on carb adjustments.its at yahoo groups .milling,milling your own wood. message 7945. it may already be in the archives but i hadnt seen this particular article.if somebody knows how to post it so we can click it on ,it mite be a good thing.just trying to help.tm

dozerdan

dozerdan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I guess its time I explain to you people how to properly adjust a carb.It is actually very simple and it only has to be done one time.
Mix your fuel with the cheapest oil that you can find, at a mix of 200/1
Remove the bar and chain,hold the throttle wide open,lean out the high speed jet until your saws hits about 16500 or 17000 rpm.Now hold the throttle wide open for about 15 min.This will cure all of your adjustment problems,you will never have to turn those little screws again.LOL
Please dont set you carb and oil mix as I have stated above,I wasn't serious.
In all seriousness the wave file that madsens has is a very good example of what a saw should sound like.
Later
Dan

oakman

oakman

ArboristSite Operative
well that post is a bit too long and overdramatized for me. this subject has been covered so many times here. here is my no-nonsense carb adjust procedure.
1-seat l&h screws in lightly, back out 2 turns each
2-start saw
3-hold throttle wide open
4-turn h screw in to max rpm's, then turn out till saw 4 strokes/burbles slightly.
5-let idle, turn l screw in or out till saw idles and accelerates smoothly.
6-adjust throttle stop screw till saw idles just below clutch engagement.
7-go cut wood.

"you got me?"

Last edited:
tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
what i liked was that it kinda deals with things on the level im at. in other wds .
it dont take for granted that i know more than i do. now truth is, ive been adjusting carbs for years . but i was adjusting for top performance ,and trusting my stihl an
gas mix to do the job. also i was using smaller motors ,with 48 cc being about the biggest i fooled with. that being my 028, i never fooled with it much, as it didnt need it. then i got the saw bug and began to play with the buttons:) .
this article seemed to turn some lites on for me.[which is sometimes pretty hard].:) i did like the madsen article.
also their piece on chain sharpening.

wmthrower

wmthrower

ArboristSite Operative
Those wav files from Madsen's are great. Fortunately for me I have a great service guy nearby and if I don't have a tachometer. If something on the saw isn't just quite right on a saw he'll happily tweak it for me for no extra charge. It's hard to beat good service like that.

Latest posts