Husky 359 Cyinder and Piston Death?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Did some cutting this past weekend and during my 20th cut or so and my saw just died. I did not notice anything different from my first cut to the last one. It just seemed like the stop switch was hit. I pulled the cylinder, which was way easier than my 55. I'm submitting pictures and my question is if I can still use the cylinder? It looks as though the piston hit the one port on the exaust side and maybe dippled it. Also, I noticed small pits on the cylinder wall? What are these? If I need both piston and cylinder should I go with Husky or Aftermarket? I did not see an aftermarket cylinder at Baileys.
View attachment 48128

View attachment 48129

View attachment 48131

View attachment 48132

View attachment 48133

Last edited:
I am not aware of a 359 aftermarket. Looks pretty well done.:(

Looks like some pits in the casting never seen anything that bad before, I have herd of this in recent 359's, but have not seen it myself.

I am not aware of a 359 aftermarket. Looks pretty well done.:(

Looks like some pits in the casting, I have herd of this in recent 359's, but have not seen it myself.

Yup, looks like the casting got some air bubbles in it.... but the reason of that detonation is most likely a ring that got stuck in the exhaust port or some foreing object...

Definately a defective cylinder. How old is the saw? I would contact Husky about it even if it is out of warrantee period as this is not "normal" wear.

There was a problem in the plating process or the aluminum casting had defects that were not noticed before plating.

Great pics BTW...steady hand

It looks like the ring face may have broken off in a small section. Can you take a pic clocked slightly left on the piston?

It may be just a reflection but the piece that appears broken off is about the same length as the peel on the piston top.

Check the piece that is rolled up and stuck to the top of the piston with a magnet.

I was thinking that the little piece on top of the piston was a shaving from the side. I will check on it with a magnet. I do have a picture from the right side. I'll have to post a left side pic later. Thanks for everyones comments so far.

View attachment 48140

Hey that looks just like my 359 piston from my post last week! And... the exact same thing happened. Cutting fine and then nothing. I didn't have the guts to tear mine apart especially since it was just worked on a couple months ago. I sent mine to the shop for evaluation. It will be interesting how it comes out. My saw is way out of warranty, but I bet it has less than fifty hours on it. I think this saw is a lemon, and a expensive one at that. I hope Husqvarna stands by their product.

Edited to clarify pictures

Last edited:
Vapnut what little I can see of your piston it appears that it was a lean seizure or lubrication problem.

Not the same at all really his piston shows no sign over overheat where your definately does compare the exhaust skirts.

Thanks for the input Pest! Sorry for the lousy pictures, I edited them and hopefully easier to see. Yoy state my piston looks like a "Lean" situation, The last cut was made cutting the stump to the ground, with the saw positioned sideways. Would that have been a factor? It still had about 1/3 tank of fuel mix in it. I really do like this Husky when its running right. I hope it can be fixed correctly.

It may have been the filter got caught up out of the fuel and that can cause lean seizures. When you are cutting and notice the saw running "better" all of a sudden it is always a good idea to stop it and check why It is how you can tell when you are running out of fuel and can continue to run on the little that it picks up but much leaner than normal.....

My dad has a 359 and It had a air leak on the intake boot. the cylinder doesnt look any worse than his I would do as some of the others have said emory cloth and a little 600 grit wet/dry sand paper with some real soapy water, wet sand the bad area, new piston and ring. I bet that it will run.While you are at it remove the limiter caps off the carb. The saws seem to run lean any how. I did a muffler mod do my dads ran better then ever. I might try to post a pic if I can figure it out.
jason

dieseldodge:

I'm going to take it to my local dealer to see what they think about warranty even though it is out of period. I did a mufler job and took off the tabs and richened it up. I might try the sanding and get a new piston if they won't cover it. I just don't want to pay for a piston then a piston and cylinder if I don't have to.

It's worth a try to get it fixed under warranty. The first time I took my saw in for repair, it was out of warranty yet they replaced a defective fuel line, and a defective (plastic) intake air intake boot clamp and did not charge me. For some reason they also pulled the cylinder because I had to wait for them to get a new gasket. I'm thinking they may not have installed the clamp correctly causing a air leak, hence a over lean situation. But I may be drawing at straws because I don't know that much about these saws. Good Luck!

You modified the saw so warrantee is void anyway. You need to see what that piece is on the piston if it is magnetic it may be a piece of bearing cage from somewhere But I doubt that as there are no other obvious hammer marks. There does look like possibly something contacted the piston on the intake side of the piston but that may be an oil smudge

The pitting is only a real issue if the plating starts to peel but the larger pit you have can be problematic long term.

It is ugly and not good for longevity

Pest:

I do think that it hit the exaust port as in the first picture you can see a slightly raised dimple on the bottom of the port. I will check out the piece on top of the piston tonight.

Latest posts

Back