Wow.. look what I busted!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I have a number of 021/023/025 wrecks that I'm building an 025 from. Sorry Niko, but I like 'em!! I fiigure I'll build a saw and sell the rest of the parts. So I was dissembling an 021 to use the good cradle on it and the dang clutch was on really tight! And, yes, I DO know that they are reverse threaded. Well, I used the rope in the spark plug method and and really had to lean on it to gt the thing off. Check out the result! Glad I wasn't going to build an 021!! The piston looks just fine.. the bore has a small scratch where the conecting rod contacted.

I actually didn't think this was possibe. So, you guys with the 021s might want to finesse it more than I did.. a little heat, perhaps?

The good news is that the "new" 025 is shaping up to be a nice little saw (see second pic, center saw)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Are you positive that saw was not like that before you got it?

When I bought my 361 the dealer showed me the exact same thing........on a similar sized homeowner series stihl saw. He said the guy had bought it 3 years ago, had seen little use, then one day it shut down while being used. The owner brought it in, they tore it down, and that is what they found. He said stihl was going to stand behind the product and make it right even though it was way out of warranty.......this was the saw shop owner's way of saying stihl really stands behind their warranty.

Now I am wondering if the saw he showed me locked up for some other reason, and they bent the rod the same way you did?

Take that thing out and put it on your key ring.......tell them it is out of a husky saw, lol.

Waylan

Had you used an "impact" wrench, there would have been no problems.

I might have a decent crank to send you, let me dig around.

Any one that would suggest heat, should be watched closely...

Check out the result! Glad I wasn't going to build an 021!!
I actually didn't think this was possibe. So, you guys with the 021s might want to finesse it more than I did.. a little heat, perhaps?

Come clean Andrethegiant this looks a little suspicious, see notations on picture.

The old fire wrench trick! :help:

Impact gun is the only way to go. I won't put anything in a cylinder to stop an engine from turning (I know its been done over 100 years), I think its crazy. If you don't have air, get a battery powered one.. The 28v milwakee is awesome, the dewalt has more than enough to work on saws. I have a cheapo craftsman 19volt that works great for motocross bikes at the track. point is you should invest in an impact.

Impact gun is the only way to go. I won't put anything in a cylinder to stop an engine from turning (I know its been done over 100 years), I think its crazy. If you don't have air, get a battery powered one.. The 28v milwakee is awesome, the dewalt has more than enough to work on saws. I have a cheapo craftsman 19volt that works great for motocross bikes at the track. point is you should invest in an impact.
Depending on crank design, impact wrench will damage the crank.

2 feet, yeah.......

at least 3, they don't call him the "giant" for nothing.....

For the record, I use an impact wrench every time, not one problem yet.

However, put the impact wrench, in the hands of a moron, then all bets
are off............

No Bullsh$t, fellas, the saw had a rewind on it and pulled over nicely with compression. This was a very healthy motor with shiny innards, tight bearings, and a good piston. I did not use vise grips, heat, or any other dastardly method to try to flim-flam you all. The Giant is simply not that smart. I believe these massive guns just overpowered the noodly little connecting rod on the saw :D. The marks that look like vise grip teeth (they do, don't they?) are actually where the metal is beginning to tear/crack from being bent so far.

Like I said, I really didn't think it was possible to muck up a saw so badly getting a clutch off, so its a surprise to me. In answer to "how much rope?".... it became clear that something was very wrong when the saw began demanding more rope to stop piston movement. My reference to "heat" in the initial post was a reference to the possibility of heating up the clutch hub a little next time I get a stuck one.

Fish, you're a cool, dude. I appreciate the offer, but I do have another decent engine. These 021s a bit small for my taste, I was just removing the engine to use the cradle in the 025, which frankly is big enough to take care of 90% of my firewood needs. If I get a 12in oak out here, I'm bustin'.

Last edited:

I'll (well... more likely FISH) will be selling you a lot of flywheels and cranks... Just because it was done on a 57 chevvy doesn't mean it's correct on "modern" saw...

Any small blower, weedeater, MS200T, MS180, MS250.. to name a few... I've seem many busted by "impact"...

Last edited:
I am wondering why the end of the crank did not snap off first. Just a thought as I have seen that.

Bill

Uh, well....... Forgive me, but I think it is a pertinent question. You go by the handle of Andrethegiant70. How big are you actually? Perhaps your idea of leaning on something is not quiet in the same league as others.
:cheers:

I can't help thinking that con rod must have been already tweaked. The force would be directly in line with the rod, assuming the rod was straight. Seems it would already have to have a slight bend in it, or crack, to get it to kick over like that. Otherwise, it would have to compress one side a lot more than the other to get the bend started. Doesn't seem likely. Of course, could have been a defective part as well.

Back