Weight of green wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootsie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much a cord of green maple, oak, and birch would weigh? Maybe even include poplar and beech? I know there are different species of each but I just need a general idea. Thanks.

Look at all the reference links at the top of the forum... your answer lies there.

Ian
Yes, Ian, that gets close. However, I do not know if these tables address green wood specifically. I would have to say that green wood adds an average of 20% in weight to these tables. Most water in the USA exceeds the density of the hardwood fibers being collected.

4900 pounds per cord on average, I know because I pay for log length by the ton.
That means my 20% figure is ultra conservative. We are probably looking at up to 50% in some species. Right, men?

That's why you cannot trust wood density tables in our business. I can virtually guarantee that mulberry and hackberry both jump at least 50% in density when green vs. dry. My sore back trying to lift them green is evidence enough.

Green wood

We dry green chips at the papermill and usually end up with a weight between 40 and 50% of what we started.

I've only flattened the springs twice on my Ford Ranger--hauling green locust and again hauling green mulberry, both stacked cab high with the racks in place. These two species, especially mulberry, can take on enormous water weight. After that, I have refused to stack green oak at cab high either.

Assuming 75 cu ft, the green wood table meant that I had over 3,100 lb on board. I'm surprised that my truck ever forgave me.

Last edited:
Fabulous! It also confirms my belief that dry honey locust is at the top with hickory and even exceeds both red and white oak. Considering how fast it grows compared to slower-growing trees, we should be harvesting this species as a major fuel wood.

I'd love to harvest some! Better start planting now... So I can harvest it when I'm 95! LOL

Montucky suck for no hardwoods. :(

Back