Bar oiler not working, leaking out near motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R e d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I took the bar off, cleained it and all the oil orifaces. Ran the saw with the bar off. No oil coming from the oil port but it is leaking out from somewhere around the motor.

I've never taken a chainsaw apart further than the bar and chain. This is a McCulloch. Are the gas and oil tanks built in to the housing as in the actual housing or are there self contained tanks inside the housing? Wondering if I need to drain everything before taking it apart.

Hoping someone has encountered this before. I'm guessing that maybe there's a line from the tank or something that is disconnected or broken. Hopefully it isn't something that built into the housing and has cracked. The saw runs great, starts first or second pull. I've cut many trees with it and it's served me well...

I did some googling last night and found some ideas but no answers.

I'll likely do as everything else, dive in, take it apart and look for something that seems wrong. I'm thinking I'll find a broken or disconnected line. Hopefully not something like a cracked case or something. Didn't drop the saw or anything so I'd be surprised to see structural damage or problems. I'd assume there is a self contained tank inside the case but who knows. One thread I found said the tanks can develope leaks...

Thanks for any/all help, ideas and suggestions.

It would be a huge help if we knew what model id of saw you got there.......

I'll have to get that but I'm figuring it a generic type problem. Never took one apart, first time for everything... Hopefully no spring loaded parts that go boinnngggg... :monkey:

I'll have to get that but I'm figuring it a generic type problem. Never took one apart, first time for everything... Hopefully no spring loaded parts that go boinnngggg... :monkey:

These saws have had many different types of oilers over the years. If we knew the model of Mac you have, then we'd be much closer to having an idea what's wrong...:givebeer:

Huh?

What we have here is....failure...to communicate. So you get what we have here tonight. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

I don't like this, any more than you men.

Cool Hand Luke, is case you is a, well, we won't go there.

So I took it apart. Found a case full of oil and gunk, what a fn mess...

As I figured it looks like a generic problem. A line from the tank was broken. I cleaned the machine up and will attempt to get some new line tomorrow if time permits. I think that's the problem but I don't count chickens...

More later...

Update...

Replaced the bad line. Leak fixed, oiler still not working... :cry:

I need to get the rest of the case apart. Resurrected an old thread to remove the clutch. My machine BTW is a McCulloch 3216 but so far everything seems pretty generic, at least til I need parts if necessary. Hopefully I don't need to replace any...

I tried compressed air through the line. I get very little discharge at the oil port. Something seems clogged or broken. Also tried from the port backward, still nothing. Can't get a good seal that way...

Last edited:
Since G-n-R seems to promote interest around here maybe all I need is just a little Patience.
biggrin.gif

So I got some good intell at the other thread...

The nut for the clutch came right off, just held the flywheel with a screwdriver, got lucky... The nut for the flywheel came off easily previously and the hammer and screw driver method worked to get the flywheel off...

Got the rest of the saw apart. Took the pump apart and cleaned everything with brake cleaner and followed up with penetrating oil. Reassembled, lubed and put the saw all back together. Looks like it may be fixed. I have yet to put the bar and chain back on but oil is now spewing from the port. Hopefully I didn't over fix it!
lol.gif

Hopefully I'll get around to finishing this tomorrow and see how it works.

Latest posts

Back