Great grandfather's Mall model 6 in wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorlivin247

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a video of my great grandfathers model 6 Mall chainsaw in 28" beech at ericjeepers GTG...

He bought the saw new in the late 1940's...The last time it saw wood was probably 28-30 years ago...Thank god I don't have to run it all day...Those scratcher chains sure are fast...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/24BF4VTd2Ag&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/24BF4VTd2Ag&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Here is a video of my great grandfathers model 6 Mall chainsaw in 28" beech at ericjeepers GTG...

He bought the saw new in the late 1940's...The last time it saw wood was probably 28-30 years ago...Thank god I don't have to run it all day...Those scratcher chains sure are fast...

That is sooooooooo cool.

The saw is phenomenal itself but with the history and good company to share the experience you just can beat it.

:cheers:

That is sooooooooo cool.

The saw is phenomenal itself but with the history and good company to share the experience you just can beat it.

:cheers:

I was keeping my fingers crossed it would run once I got there and got it into a piece of wood...The only thing I had to do to get it running was clean the points...If It was not for AS and eric's GTG who knows if it ever would have been brought back to life...Thanks again, ericjeeper and AS for bringing a smile to my Grandma's face watching her fathers saw on youtube...

My buddy just picked up an old Mall that looks just like that. We tried getting her to run a few times but have yet to succeed. We'd been told by the previous owner that he'd run it about 15 years ago and it sat since then. We'll have to try cleaning the points and see where that gets us.

I REALLY want to get a pic of my 80 feet up with that attached to my belt for ####s and grins!:cheers:

Dude, you are more of a man than me if you can pull that thing 80' up a tree and then start it...Even if it is just for chits and grins...

As I recall I've heard that some of those old malls couldnt be turned on there side with out leaking gas all over the place due to the design of the carb. that would make life interesting up a tree, but then again I doubt the old timers were climbing with them either.

After seeing this vid I really need to get my grandfathers Mall down and get it running again. That was also a 2 man saw of about the same vintage, my grandma (shes about 5' tall if that) used to run the stinger end for grandpa back in the day cutting fire wood with the old mall. Sure wish I had a pic of that.

Thanks for the video, that really made my night

Dude, you are more of a man than me if you can pull that thing 80' up a tree and then start it...Even if it is just for chits and grins...

Who said anything about starting it? As far as pulling it up to me, haven't you ever heard of a block and a groundy? :clap:

That saw was way cool livin. If you have a GTG I'd like to see it live another day. How do you sharpen the chain on that beast? WDO

Back