Great grandfather's Mall model 6 in wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2: I was in the middle of putting a bar and chain on my Dolmar when you fired it off, I dropped what I was doing and grabbed my camera and ran over there. Afterwards I finished tightening the bar nuts and fired it up and was walking over to the cant and revved it up and off flys the chain...opps forgot to tighten the chain andd it's all your fault.:cheers:

I have been blamed for alot worse...

So whats up with the GTG???? Are you going to host one?:)

I think I can swing one, but I don't want to step on anybody elses toes...Not sure what kind of time frame to have between them for people...I guess maybe I should just start a thread...:cheers:

I think I can swing one, but I don't want to step on anybody elses toes...Not sure what kind of time frame to have between them for people...I guess maybe I should just start a thread...:cheers:

Pinemartin is planning one for August

Is the chain sharp? I can't imagine a saw designed to cut that danged slow.

Yes the chain is sharp, but it is a scratcher chain...

Very early chainsaws used tooth configurations very similar to conventional hand saws. These were very simple saw teeth following a wave pattern (left, centre, right, centre) with no depth gauges as such, relying purely on bar pressure to limit the cutting rate. They were inefficient and slow in use, and were soon superseded by chipper chain.

Yes the chain is sharp, but it is a scratcher chain...

Very early chainsaws used tooth configurations very similar to conventional hand saws. These were very simple saw teeth following a wave pattern (left, centre, right, centre) with no depth gauges as such, relying purely on bar pressure to limit the cutting rate. They were inefficient and slow in use, and were soon superseded by chipper chain.

Hi outdoor, those scratcher chains will cut pretty good if they are sharpened proper. They are tricky to do and really need to be put on a jig to do them right.

here are pics of a machine used to sharpen scratcher. I am not sure how this works but I have read a bit in my manuals about the correct angles if you chose to do it by hand.

Natalie has done a few of her scratchers by hand and it takes a long time to get them right.

scratchermachine009.jpg

scratchermachine002.jpg

scratchermachine003.jpg

scratchermachine006.jpg

scratchermachine005.jpg

scratchermachine004.jpg

here is one that seemed to be fairly sharp when we fired it up.
This is Natalie Amber and Bill Pelham helping me fire up some malls.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVrzqYNwiuY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVrzqYNwiuY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back