My little wood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well he is the start of my little wood shed. My neighbor came over and said he had his three point post hole digger back. He said lets make some holes. Who would have thought it would have taken us 9 hours to set 8 posts
attachment.php

attachment.php

This was last friday , we did set some of the trusses on saturday but batteries ran out on the camera.

So far all the building materials have been FREE:clap:

More pics to come.

Beefie

nice and it looks like you really have a nice place

Thanks , I bought this place in April of 2008 , I have been slowly getting it to were i want it to be.

Nailsbeats" Looks like you do good work. Keep a nice and tidy/organized work area too. What city in WI you at? Appleton area "

Thanks for the compliment , I was taught "If it's worth doing its worth doing Right"

Yes I do live close to the Appleton area. Let me Guess you recognized my truck.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

more pics

here is how far I got before I ran out of trusses.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is more free wood I have found, somebody was taking apart a deck.Deck boards can be used as batten boards.
attachment.php

Here is the rest of the trusses. I had to buy these.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The green ladder is a 8' step ladder. Remember this is my "LITTLE" shed.:hmm3grin2orange:

More pics to come

Beefie

I was thinking your handle should be Jolly Green Giant if thats a small shed. Whats your big woodshed look like? Nice pics too. You should get some Govt. credit for recycling all that lumber too. :)

Cool!

When I saw the first pic of trusses, I was thinking that wasn't much for Wisconsin snow loads :)

I have a small project coming up that I'm gonna see if some 4x4s left over from a deck that relocated from my sister's house to my house almost ten years ago will work for.

My garage is built from 200+ year old lumber. Salvaged I believe during the 1950s from a 200' long barn being removed from an inn, much of it went into chicken coops and truck garages. What was left over around 1970 became my garage. The contract was to remove the barn, what my grandfather's trucking company did with the materials was up to them :)

Cool!

When I saw the first pic of trusses, I was thinking that wasn't much for Wisconsin snow loads :)

I have a small project coming up that I'm gonna see if some 4x4s left over from a deck that relocated from my sister's house to my house almost ten years ago will work for.

My garage is built from 200+ year old lumber. Salvaged I believe during the 1950s from a 200' long barn being removed from an inn, much of it went into chicken coops and truck garages. What was left over around 1970 became my garage. The contract was to remove the barn, what my grandfather's trucking company did with the materials was up to them :)

That is neat how your garage is the remains of an old barn. Waste not want not.

The trusses will be spaced 2' on center with a total of 17 trusses. Should hold up to the snow load fine. It is the wind load I am concerened about . The shed is on the north end of my property so it will get all the north west winds. I think i will be doubling up on the screws and using long ring shank nails on the batten boards.

Beefie

I just used the cord wood caculator at the top of the firewood forum. After entering my height , width , and depth it said I would be able to store 49.5 cords.

Can you guess the size of my "LITTLE" shed:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

That is neat how your garage is the remains of an old barn. Waste not want not.

The trusses will be spaced 2' on center with a total of 17 trusses. Should hold up to the snow load fine. It is the wind load I am concerened about . The shed is on the north end of my property so it will get all the north west winds. I think i will be doubling up on the screws and using long ring shank nails on the batten boards.

Beefie

You are right the wind load on a building can be quite damaging.

You need to add some cross bracing to the side bays, even one bay per side would do help a lot. You can use wood or steel or even aircraft cable and tie the posts together from close the bottom to the next pole close to the top and vice versa to create the "X". (Similar to the temp bracing you have in place already on sides but also with another member to create the "X")

As for the other direction you should add a kicker on one side at each end from 3/4 of the way up the posts to same distance out or so tied to a stake secured well into the ground and / or add some diagonal braces from a few feet down from the top of the post to a couple feet inward on the truss / beam.

All depends on how you want to finish the shed off, but a little bracing goes along way.

Last edited:
I just used the cord wood caculator at the top of the firewood forum. After entering my height , width , and depth it said I would be able to store 49.5 cords.

Beefie

:jawdrop: If you don't burn it all,you can sell a little :hmm3grin2orange:

You are right the wind load on a building can be quite damaging.

You need to add some cross bracing to the side bays, even one bay per side would do help a lot. You can use wood or steel or even aircraft cable and tie the posts together from close the bottom to the next pole close to the top and vice versa to create the "X". (Similar to the temp bracing you have in place already on sides but also with another member to create the "X")

As for the other direction you should add a kicker on one side at each end from 3/4 of the way up the posts to same distance out or so tied to a stake secured well into the ground and / or add some diagonal braces from a few feet down from the top of the post to a couple feet inward on the truss / beam.

All depends on how you want to finish the shed off, but a little bracing goes along way.

I agree with you that more bracing will be required. The framing is still a work in progress and more bracing will be going up.

There will be perlins on the north wall for firewood support, so it won't fall out as it dries, and for steel siding some time down the road.

Thanks for the advice, this is why I like to post my projects, you some times here of a better way to do things.:clap:

Beefie

Beefie

22w x 36L x 8H(stacked)

It'll be nice to fit that trailer inside when you come home with a load of wood and are too tired to deal with it in inclement weather that followed you home from cutting.

Allowing 10'wide clear area for the trailer, you'll still have room for 27cords.

Last edited:
Thanks , I bought this place in April of 2008 , I have been slowly getting it to were i want it to be.

Nailsbeats" Looks like you do good work. Keep a nice and tidy/organized work area too. What city in WI you at? Appleton area "

Thanks for the compliment , I was taught "If it's worth doing its worth doing Right"

Yes I do live close to the Appleton area. Let me Guess you recognized my truck.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

it's looking good.
:cheers:

Ted

Latest posts

Back