Finallly... wood shed in progress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I read every wood shed thread and usually say how I'm going to do this or that... well it finally got started today. It's 16x18 with 7'6" ceiling in the back and 10'6" in the front. 6x6 posts, full dimension 2x8s for joists and 2x6s for rafters and bands. Half of it will be for wood storage and half will be for mower/splitter. Still have to finish the rafters next weekend and cobble some money together for tin. Next spring I'll close it in on 3 sides and paint it later in the summer after the treated posts and green lumber have dried some. It isn't exactly what I had planned, so eventually I'll need to add a lean-to to the left side for additional wood storage. I'll post more pics as it gets closer to being finished--Ian
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks good. Are you leaving the walls partially open, Or enclosing them all the way? How many cord do you figure it will hold? Those posts look store bought, no hand milled lumber WTF:D

Looks good. Are you leaving the walls partially open, Or enclosing them all the way? How many cord do you figure it will hold? Those posts look store bought, no hand milled lumber WTF:D

The entire front will be open, closed on 3 sides with rough cut boxing. The posts are treated... don't want them to rot in 5 years. If I can get some eastern Red Cedar or Hemlock logs free, I will mill the boxing but I'm not holding my breath.. if I have to pay for logs, I might as well have them milled too. The half I'll be using for wood will hold 7.5 cord.

Matt9923 said:
Did you put the post right in the cement?

Yup.. at least an 80lb bag in each hole. Some of the holes had to be expanded somewhat to get it squared up. One hole ended up eating 2-1/2 80lb bags. The posts are rated for ground contact.

Ian

Last edited:
looks like fun! How much do you love that Bosch table saw?? They are the best ones out there!!
Congrats on the shed!:rock:

Make sure those posts are sunk deep.

Most are at least 18" deep... there's all kinds of stuff in the ground there and I hit buried steel in 3 of the holes. The center post is only about 12" deep. there's a 16' bed off a truck under there and I'm fairly certain that's what I'm hitting in 2 of the holes... the bottom of the 12" deep hole looks like springs from a long retired mattress or box spring. LOL...

Ian

Yup.. at least an 80lb bag in each hole. Some of the holes had to be expanded somewhat to get it squared up. One hole ended up eating 2-1/2 80lb bags. The posts are rated for ground contact.

Ian

That may not have been the best idea... Doesn't matter what they put on it eventual it will rot in the ground, in concrete is going to rot even faster.
Wood + concrete = rot
Iv seen to many decks fences ext rotten right away in concrete and your left with a few hundred pound concrete mess and then they have to pay to bring in the backhoe and get them all out.

looks like fun! How much do you love that Bosch table saw?? They are the best ones out there!!

It was having a hard time. Someone has relieved me of the good 12ga extension cord I bought in February so I was stuck running it with a 16ga cord. It couldn't draw enough juice to run like it should have. I was using it to rip the 2x8s to 10 deg so the rafters would sit flush instead of riding the corner and it didn't like being throttled by that light weight cord.

Ian

That may not have been the best idea... Doesn't matter what they put on it eventual it will rot in the ground, in concrete is going to rot even faster.
Wood + concrete = rot
Iv seen to many decks fences ext rotten right away in concrete and your left with a few hundred pound concrete mess and then they have to pay to bring in the backhoe and get them all out.

Well, what's done is done.. we'll see how long it lasts. :biggrinbounce2:

Ian

Hmm idk about that.

The Bosch TS-4100-9 is rated among the best contractor/portable table saws out there. I did my research before buying it. (for once ;)) It's no cabinet saw for sure, but I needed something compact and portable.

Ian

Well, what's done is done.. we'll see how long it lasts. :biggrinbounce2:

Ian
Ian, wood will even rot above ground when in contact with concrete. That includes cedar:
OldPost1.jpg

This end of this post lasted about 18 years. After that, the entire bottom was rotted 7" from the ground. I saved the post by cutting it off that high up and resting it on pier, separated by a Lexan plate:
DeckEntranceView-1.jpg

To bad your so far away I have a siding setup for my woodmizer. I cut cut all the siding for that thing in a day pretty easy. If you want to take a drive and get some siding let me know.

Scott

To bad your so far away I have a siding setup for my woodmizer. I cut cut all the siding for that thing in a day pretty easy. If you want to take a drive and get some siding let me know.

Scott

Hey Ian.. Sounds like a road trip might be in order..Surely he can come up with some poplar...

Haywire,

Are you planning on drying or just storing wood in your three sided shed? I store my wood in one bay of my open front shed and it doesn't dry very fast in the shed compared to having it outside. I try to have the wood dry enough to burn for most species before putting in the shed. It will keep great once it's in there.

I'd like to build a woodshed out at dad's with all open walls for good airflow. Just a roof and some posts. I might add cattle panels for walls to keep the bovines in the pasture from knocking over my stacks. They do it all the time with my outside stacks.

Don

Latest posts

Back