Can old 346xp be fitted with NE346xp P&C?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used 346xp that "needs a piston". If it can be had cheap enough, I'd consider it. I'm wondering if the NE p&c will bolt on. From what I am reading, they went to a 44mm on the NE vs. 42mm on the OE.

Last edited:
Anyone used both, is there much difference in performance?

I own both an old edition and new edition 346xp. The old edition is lighter, revs higher and handles a little bit better. The old edition is just a joy to use for limbing but lacks enough power to efficiently cut hardwoods much larger than 11” in diameter. The NE346 is a much better all around saw and if you are looking for a great lightweight saw to both limb and buck firewood, I don’t think you will be able to find a better saw. With a 16” bar and .325 RSC chain, it just flies through wood. Good luck with your choice.

I would just fix it with the right parts with probably less effort,money etc and not worry about it and just enjoy having a badazz little stock OE 346 and later buy an NE because its an NE but thats me not trying to be a smart alec just saying?

Kansas

I would just fix it with the right parts with probably less effort,money etc and not worry about it and just enjoy having a badazz little stock OE 346 and later buy an NE because its an NE but thats me not trying to be a smart alec just saying?

Kansas

But why not have the power of the new cylinder if he needs one and it'll bolt right on?

Now I'm the one that's shocked, lol:)

Well we never got too many 346s through our shop, it was too expensive a saw for the farmers and tree services in our area. The loggers had no use for them. Mostly people bought 345s, MS-290s, consumer model Poulans, and the occasional 210 EZ2start.

I'm pretty sure the NE is a bolt-on to the OE case just like the 51.4mm top end of the 372W will bolt on to any 362/365/371/372 case.

I own both an old edition and new edition 346xp. The old edition is lighter, revs higher and handles a little bit better. The old edition is just a joy to use for limbing but lacks enough power to efficiently cut hardwoods much larger than 11” in diameter. The NE346 is a much better all around saw and if you are looking for a great lightweight saw to both limb and buck firewood, I don’t think you will be able to find a better saw. With a 16” bar and .325 RSC chain, it just flies through wood. Good luck with your choice.

I'm pretty much just looking for a limbing saw anyway. The 346 would replace my 350. I have a 365BB and 385 for bucking. I just don't have enough in the wallet to pony up to the NE at this time.

I'm pretty much just looking for a limbing saw anyway. The 346 would replace my 350. I have a 365BB and 385 for bucking. I just don't have enough in the wallet to pony up to the NE at this time.

I personally wouldn't sweat it. I don't want to get into the whole debate again, but when we tested the 50cc saws recently, a stock OE 346XP was 2nd only to a NE 346XP. It was stronger than the 5100 and 260 in the wood we were testing with.

Latest posts

Back