Another eBay burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Auction Link. The seller was deedawndee-2008 from Onalaska, WA.

I bought an old style 066 flat top on ebay last week for the purpose of installing the Wiseco piston in it for testing. The title of the auction was "NICE STIHL 066 MAGNUM chainsaw....strong runner". The description was "auction is for one STHIL 066 magnum, starts easy and runs excellent. New seals, bearings, and rings. Full wrap handle bars, lots of power. ( Auction is for powerhead only.) This is an as is sale... But i gaurantee it to run good,and start and idle good. Don't let this one get away! If you use buy it now option i'll ship for free and throw in a collectors 6 point tin hat. Thanks". The only picture shown, was of a saw that looked to be clean and in good condition, matching the title and description.

I received the saw today. It is absolutely filthy and in very poor condition. The recoil housing and front of the case had been shot with a quick coat of white paint. This saw hasn't been apart in years, if ever. No parts have been replaced. The saw is too filthy to have had any internal work done on it anytime remotely recently. The plastic cage on the flywheel side crank bearing was broken. The rings are extremely worn with end gaps of .022" and .020". The piston is way out of tollerance with .015" of cleanance. The case of the saw has a chunk broken out of the front of it. The clutch cover has two chunks out of it. The air filter cover is not the one shown in the auction and has 6 ugly holes in it. The air filter is totally clogged and is crushed. The oil pump is inoperable because the drive spring is broken off and will not engage the clutch drum. The upper AV mount is busted. The engine shroud is cracked. Several of the bolts are not the correct ones. The spikes do not match. There is no chain catcher on the saw. The oil tank was full of what appeared to be used motor oil.

I've sent an email to the seller asking if he will refund me $100. There's a lot more than that wrong with it, and I'll have a lot of time in it, but the saw is rebuildable otherwise. It'd be way different if I couldn't do the work myself.

787840776_gBTx9-M.jpg

787840749_AYCaf-M.jpg

787840885_nXJ5L-M.jpg

787841504_nCLnZ-M.jpg

787847294_7Rbt4-M.jpg

787845016_N4Pb8-M.jpg

787841296_NUrfz-M.jpg

787841601_afxh4-M.jpg

Last edited:
I see you bought that one from Orville...he's got several user names on e-bay, all with negative feedbacks from over-describing saws or being outright dishonest about them. There's a few members with horror stories about him, looks like you're the latest.

I see you bought that one from Orville...he's got several user names on e-bay, all with negative feedbacks from over-describing saws or being outright dishonest about them. There's a few members with horror stories about him, looks like you're the latest.

I wondered if he'd be known here. That's why I posted his username and location. Buyer beware. So who is this guy?

I've talked to him a couple times, way back when. He's a timber cutter with a group from SW Washington and while he knows a lot about saws, he sells a lot of junk too. I've seen him operate under at least four different names on e-bay all with multiple negatives for stunts like this.

Brad, you got screwed. :angry2: I hope you get a partial refund.

Will the cylinder be good enough for your Wiseco test ?

Thanks for the heads up about the seller.

Sounds just like the situation I went through with my 272. Must be related or something... Seller gave me the same garbage about going through the saw, when it was very clear that it hadn't been apart in a long time, if ever.
Good luck to ya, $100 refund? I wouldn't bother, even if you want the saw. Dishonesty is dishonesty, make him choke on it. I did, took me a week and a half- but my 272 goes back Monday morning, for a full refund plus the original shipping price.
I gave the guy the chance, on my dollar. He fought me over it, and I let ebay step in. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. The guy I dealt with admitted fault in the dispute, but refused a refund. Didn't take ebay long on that one, and with multiple accounts and neg feedback- they may take your side as well. Good luck either way, these people need dealt with.

Last edited:
Just looked at the pics, WOW. Yours may give mine a run for the money. But on a positive note, I'm likin' those calipers- Brown and Sharpe is the stuff! Have one of their micrometers, mechanical down to the .0005".
Again, good luck...

He'll either give me a partial refund as I asked, or I bite the bullet. I've already torn the saw down and painted everything. I leave for Orlando tomorrow for the week, and want the paint curing while I'm gone.

Now I don't like to paint plastic. But if prepped right, it seems to hold up pretty good. I've never painted a tank before. But I figured I might as well since I was painting everything else. It got sanded down well and primed first. I did my best to tidy up the holes in the filter cover. You can't see the sides of the cover here, but it doesn't look too bad. The crack in the engine shroud is minor and insignificant, so no big deal there. I would like to find a nice metal 066 tag for it though. The crank seals you see are the originals, the I reinstalled after cleaning everything up. They're just there to plug the hole for painting. New ones will be installed. Both crank bearings were replaced as well. I happend to have bearings and a case gasket here. All paint is the tractor and implement paint from TSC, including the primer. The grey is Ford Grey, and the orange is Kuboda Orange. It does flow out nicely and covers very well, even the orange. A lot of orange spray paints do not. It is not prone to running either. The case and recoil were in the oven at 170° for 2 hours. I'm kind of hesitant to put plasitic parts in the oven, even at 170°. The bar studs will be replaced with the new wide shouldered style.

787884097_JKYde-M.jpg

787883915_YUFuY-M.jpg

787884109_3F7fv-M.jpg

787883855_QgCet-M.jpg

787883508_3jTgL-M.jpg

787883530_9vm9c-M.jpg

Last edited:
If it had been me, I would have socked him for the whole thing and bought another project. Basically his description was a complete lie. It's one thing if a guy makes an honest mistake but this is ridiculous. Sad thing is, I've seen this happen at least three dozen times with this same guy.

Why didn't you just open a dispute case with Ebay? If the item is not as it was described Ebay will refund your purchase price AND pay for return shipping. They will then go after the seller for funds. That's what the new Ebay Buyer Protection is all about. I have personally been through this with a saw purchase on Ebay recently and I'm telling you that Ebay will back you up 110%.

It's a new Ebay now!

Sad thing is, I've seen this happen at least three dozen times with this same guy.

And eBay's greedy enough to keep letting him open accounts with the same IP, evidentally. I wonder what he'll think when I tell him a link to the pictures will be in my feedback, should it come to that?:)

I still don't think I'll be upside down in it, or at least not too badly. Good deals on 066/660s aren't so easy to come by it seems.

Yeah it's tough to find a decent 066 for a decent price on e-bay. The prices on the local Craigslist here are even getting quite inflated. It seems to be a lot of the woodworkers snapping up the used 066s since they're a solid, dependable saw with good power.

I wouldn't have even touched it,I would have asked for a full refund or open a ebay dispute, now your letting him get away with it.
That would have been a good buy for $200.

just got stung on an 084,not quite as bad as your saw.
spoke to the guy on the phone and he sounded real genuine when the saw turned up there was no air filter, no sparkplug, the muffler was all welded up
shocking welds,threads all stripped out to mount muffler,recoil stuffed and plastics all cracked up. sorted up recoil and got it started runs real good and the piston and cyl look real good.

Back