Another eBay burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a couple word's ..............NICE STIHL 066 MAGNUM.......Whats nice?? when someone puts excellent condition
..Whats excellent condition???

I have a different opinion as to excellent condition than some do..........I have seen plenty of saws that are passed off as excellent condition that look like dog **** .....I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder or the seller ..........

I agree this one is not as pictured

Brad I guess he could blame that all on UPS.........It was "Nice" when it left ....

Why would you strip it down if you trying to get a refund????:confused::confused:

it's the Challenge.

Why didn't you just open a dispute case with Ebay?

Cause Brad loves a Challenge, and hates to get burned....

so he's gonna make a "Silk Purse" out of this "Sow's Ear"

personally, I think EBay should really get on this type of stuff...

it's one thing to list high prices, and run up shipping charges, as long as it's advertised....

it's completely another thing to LIE about an item!

Be Careful out there...

Caveat Emptor!

LOL, I have a 30 year old victa, the old ones are good but the newer ones are made of thinner metal (I think the bases are now made in China).
Victa also made outboard motors/ planes and chainsaws which were rebadged Alpina's . Damn just missed out on another Atom.
Brad sorry for going off topic.

Ouch! Did you leave feedback for the seller?

I would hold the feedback and attempt to negotiate a partial refund.

The problem here will be that you took the saw down to parade rest and started a complete restoration on it. At that point you pretty much accepted the saw in it's condition and decided to effect repairs without the sellers consent.

Now he doesn't really have the option to take the saw back for a full refund. I'd still hammer him for at least $200 back and slam with with bad feedback anyhow.

The FACT still remains that he miss-represented (completely lied) about the saws actual condition, and you have proved that he did NOT effect the repairs mentioned in the Ebay auction listing.

I would also invest in a good bore micrometer and outside micrometer for measuring piston skirts and bore diameters. A slide caliper is not nearly accurate enough for precise measurements of those items. Measuring the inside of the bore requires the ends of the measuring device to have "ball" shapes to get clear out to the actual diameter.

Same thing with measuring piston skirts, a slide caliper can be off several thousanths of an inch as it will "deflect" some and give an inaccurate reading simply by how much pressure is applied to the wheel when you take the reading.

Not trying to be overly critical here, just some advise from someone who does this for a living, with over 3 decades of experience......Cliff

I doubt someone that dishonest is going to hand over any money back to you. I would link the pictures to the feedback for sure.
nice improvement anyway

Brad, use caution about linking anything to your feedback, and keep the comment "general" in nature.

I good friend of mine is involved in a class action lawsuite because of an Ebay auction and some of the comments made as part of it.

SPECIFIC comments were made about an item (commercially produced part) and since zillions of folks read those comments, his lawyer went after them for slander, and they are making life MISERABLE for the guy who did it.

Highly unlikely that would happen here, this guy would probably have to fart in his pocket to have a cent, but still worth mentioning.....FWIW.....Cliff

Just a couple word's ..............NICE STIHL 066 MAGNUM.......Whats nice?? when someone puts excellent condition
..Whats excellent condition???

Reminds me of my friends dad back in the mid 70's. He was restoring a 49 Ford convert. He sent a deposit for a parts car that was listed in Hemmings as "excellent condithion, drives, top works". He talked to the guy on the phone and he described a nice running parts car. Rented a tralier, drove 10 hours one way, and thought he was going to have a stroke when he saw the car. The bottom of all the fenders, doors, and trunk were rotted, floors gone. no skin on the top. The old flattie did start, and when put in gear would move. The metal top frame would go up and down. But, it was a long way from driveable. When he asked the guy what on earth did he mean by describing the car as excellent shape the guy said "that is excellent shape for a car that's been sitting for 20 years". Back then bout all he could do was turn around and go home. No Ebay protectioin there. I guess he could have tried to sue the guy, but a couple states away, and probably a hundred bucks or so in the deposit he just tucked his tail and went home, Joe.

If it had been me, I would have socked him for the whole thing and bought another project. Basically his description was a complete lie. It's one thing if a guy makes an honest mistake but this is ridiculous. Sad thing is, I've seen this happen at least three dozen times with this same guy.

+2 ! This is clearly a fraudulous description. I would have put it back together quickly and asked for a refund. You can't let this guy get away with such stuff, ggrrrrrrrr.

Kudo's to you for restoring it, but I guess the bad taste will never get away.

i would have boxed it up, canceled my trip to florida, and showed up on his front porch.

you're letting him get away with it, thats why he'll do it again and again.

I checked his other auctions

I checked his other auctions and asked him this question about this 040

What type of port work was done to this saw? How far were the ports opened up? Who did the work?

I want to see what answer I get.

Brad.....as always....NICE work! I hope you are able to get a good test done on the pistons!

Dan

Last edited:
If it had been me, I would have socked him for the whole thing and bought another project. Basically his description was a complete lie. It's one thing if a guy makes an honest mistake but this is ridiculous. Sad thing is, I've seen this happen at least three dozen times with this same guy.

this is a case of outright theft.
'orville' is a peice of ####.
to continually run intentionally dishonest auctions and multiple usernames to spread the bad feedback only proves how big a peice this guy is.

as far as i am concerned this dude would benefit the general population greatly by digging a deep hole and falling in it.

this guy is a perfect example of unbridled greed, dishonest opportunism, and why ebay is no longer a reasonable place to deal with.

Brad, send me a PM when you want to sell that saw, I think it will look good buried in some spring oak I'm planning to cut!

Why didn't you just open a dispute case with Ebay? If the item is not as it was described Ebay will refund your purchase price AND pay for return shipping. They will then go after the seller for funds. That's what the new Ebay Buyer Protection is all about. I have personally been through this with a saw purchase on Ebay recently and I'm telling you that Ebay will back you up 110%.

It's a new Ebay now!

Exactly what he said. Need to get these bad sellers out of there and your not helping by letting it go.

On every ebay ad up in the right hand corner it gives the sellers name and his percentage of feedback, good and bad. If you click on "seller" you can get more information. Always check seller feedback before bidding. I sell saws on ebay and people like him give everybody a bad name. Please, Please leave a negative feedback on this guy! It may help someone else in the future. I don't generally like to neg. a seller if there's any doubt but in some cases it's a must.

i have been selling and buying on ebay for years,,,,,i have always told the truth about an item,,,i think i have only gotten burnt once,,,,i would leave negative feedback and open a case and get a partial refund through ebay

Aaah the old Krylon rebuild!(on the e-bay bottom end)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back