Get to the top!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
Have ya ever noticed? Rookies doing trims or TD's never seem to tie in at a logical point? Instead of getting to the tippy-top and going from there they stop half-way, fumble around, and are less productive?

Your tie in point is most important when it involves how you move about in the tree. You have to think at least three moves ahead of what you're doing now, and follow through.

I could go on...

It's like I've said before. Climbing efficiently is like making a chess move, not checkers. Plan your climb, then climb yur plan...

Butt, don't be askeered to make changes on the fly! ;)

i am just learning the ropes..... :) anyways so what your saying is best way to do a removal is to get to the top, tie in, then descend to remove everything? i've seen my partner/trainer do it that way but he did take out some limbs on the way up

tinman44 said:
i am just learning the ropes..... :) anyways so what your saying is best way to do a removal is to get to the top, tie in, then descend to remove everything? i've seen my partner/trainer do it that way but he did take out some limbs on the way up

Just get to the top, and do what ya wanna as ya do it. It's all downhill after that...

way i figure get up to the top since its coming down too, remove limbs you can and make a control path down the when your getting the stump down you can drop branches then course i would be wearing gaffs so, question for you mb when your bringing down the logs, you tie in twice (i'm sure) you use your scare-strap/buckstrap/flipline whatever you call it, do you also tie in with a lifeline? and how do you create a false crotch? do you use the friction saver and prusik? or what?

basically i'm asking when logging down the tree you are removing what would you do for two tie ins? obviously the strap but what about rope?

For removals your right on Butch, the higher the better especially if you can plan it to work off that one single TIP, for the entire removal.

After incorporating Tom's DEDA lanyard in my climbing system I found i don't need to go for those high tie in's so much for doing trims, especially if I only have to work the bottom half of the tree for doing some roof clearance and then do a little work on the other side of tree to make it look better.

Larry

MasterBlaster said:
No, not really.

come on tell me how you ascend so i can copy your methods. just wondering how some ppl ascend without gaffs. i used the modified body thrust this afternoon, shwew i was wore out anyways later in the day for more practice i just free climbed up about 12 feet then advanced my rope oh about three times to get to the top, and i used the blakes hitch to bring up the slack. i need a micro pulley

ooooo can i do an impersonation? oh well i'll do it anyways

tinman44: hey mb how did you take that tree down today that musta been hard with all those leads
Masterblaster: ah well i just cut it down with my saw

tinman44 said:
just wondering how some ppl ascend without gaffs. i used the modified body thrust this afternoon

Hey bro, no need to get testy. I use the body thrust method all the time. Just get yur rope in the beech, and yur home free. Sorry if I came across as a smart ass.

Didn't mean 2... :alien:

Back