Pitch all over everything!! What do I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber jul

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I was in a fur tree that had a disese and it was weeping pitch in ALOT of places. The top of every branch and sometimes the underside had a mat of it waiting to stick to part of you, your gloves, helmet, ropes, chainsaw, everything!!
Needless to say it got all over my equiptment. Does anyone know what I can use to get the pitch out of my rope without hurting it? I have Samson Blue Streak line(polyester with nylon core). Also what takes it off the plastic chainsaw handle and the bar and chain? My chain is all gummed up and probly is'nt getting the oil it needs.
My climbing knot got stuck to the line while I was it the tree, and almost was'nt able to use it to get down. Ruined a good pair of gloves, and have sticky Carabiners and clasps. :cry:

Benzene, naphta or varsol

Benzene & naphta are softer on the plastic however.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put any type of chemical on your rope. Try to find a natural maybe citrus based product to get the crap off of the rope. Some of my ropes still have pine pitch on them...but not bad enough for me to try to take it off somehow. It usually just 'wears in' over time. For your saws and other equipment-kerosene, benzene or gas work well.

as far as your rope-looks like a new butt line/pull line,replace it or
try mayonnaise. it is unbelievable at removing pine pitch. marty

A mild solvent like WD40 works on the saw. I use Amsoil metal protectant which is very similar. Doesn't discolor or soften the plastic parts and provides protection to metal parts.

For the rope maybe try a strong hand cleaner. It usually takes pitch off your hands and I can't imagine it would be harsh enough to damage the rope given that it is for cleaning your hands. But that is only supposition on my part.

castrol superclean

I had a lot of osage orange pitch on a bar and I thought the parts cleaner would take it right off. Didn't work very well even with a stiff brush.
I then tried castrol super clean in the perple jug from walmart and it worked great. It would start disolving it immediately. Also works really good on oil and grease as it is marketed for. I also soaked my chain in it and worked great as well. Just let the chain drip dry and then put some bar oil on it before you reinstall.

sounds like you might be stuck (pardon the unintended pun) with some of it. I like a mild mixture of warm water and simple green for the ropes. slosh them around a bit while still in the solution after they have soaked for several hours. make sure and rinse them well before hanging them to dry.

I generally spray with Denatured alcohol following work on spruce and pine. It wipes off immediately. Disinfects too.

I used that purple cleaner on the chain and it worked good, I also found some stuff called ctricol, a ctric based cleaner and it worked wonders :) it also smells like oranges( I wonder why ;) The line was well used, so now it is for pichy trees

Latest posts

Back