Hurricane Gudrun, Sweden.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mange

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I thought you might want to see some pics, of what is out off the woods so far. This is just for one mill and about half of the total timber. The´se is now about 2 years worth, in these pics.

The piles are 4m high and about 300m long, most is in 4m length.

In picture 364, are they spraying the log with water? I've heard of chips sponateously combusting, but not whole logs.

That's a lot of wood.

James

I would guess there is about 35 000 cubic meters so far here.

Makes me think of the frase: Got wood ;)

I hate to see the hurricane did that much damage, but at least you guys can
salvage what you can.
Here in the U.S. the environmentalist would put a court injunction on any salvage operations because those trees could be homes for bugs or something.
Andy

Environmentalist have redwood decks!

I remember seeing saw mills like that as a kid in Northern Cal. Now they're all gone. I have mixed feelings about that. We swing violently one direction then another over here in the U.S. Over log the forests beyond there ability to recover and then stop logging altogether. Soon we'll be in a pillaging cycle again. Nice picts Mange. :)

Hello Mange,

not surprised to see your pictures. I witnessed myself the damage caused by Gudrun, during a business trip earlier this year, and it really was impressive.
Hope the Swede wood business will live through this.

This will be tuff. 5 years wood down in a few hours, this is to be taken out of the woods before insects get too it or sun/heat cracks it, not easy.
Looking at a wider prospect, if we pull this off and get the timber out safe, what do we cut down the next 5 years?

January 8, 2005 The most violent storm to strike Sweden since 1969 swept across the southern half of the country, killing seven people and leaving 359,000 households without electricity. The Barsebäck nuclear power plant was forced to shut down its remaining reactor since there were not enough functioning power lines to transmit the electricity it was generating. With gusts of over 150km/h, the hurricane, which Norwegian meteorologists named "Gudrun", caused chaos as railways and bridges were closed, aircraft were grounded and ferries were kept in ports.

South Sweden was shut down for almost 2 weeks. I know some that waited up to 8 weeks to get power.
This is wurse than 1969, without a doubt.
There are powerkables laying on the ground, with uo to 10000v in them.
If all goes a planed it will they dug down.

All I know in the tree industry suffered some lost, or will.
Another logger got hurt yesterday.

When I had lunch yesterday, I sat next to 3 guy's from Timberjack in Germany.

Oh my goodness ! You guys were hardly a blip in the news because of the Tsunami coverage. You guys got a January Hurricane. What a freaking freak of a freak.

Can we have more pictures??? Pleease?

Hey, do you need the Tree Machine come over and help out? :p

Latest posts

Back