Rope retrieval tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumper

One Man Band
Reaction score
Here,FWIW are my results of a head to head comparison of Sherrils new Retreever and the Arbor Exotica Sidekick which predates it.

Sidekick ------------ Retreever

Length
collapsed 26.5inches -------- 24.5

(Arbor exotica lists the sidekichk as 27inches. Sherrill lists their product as 19 inches but that doesn't include the hook-with the hook straightened as they recommend for carry it is 24.5 inches)

Length
extended 9 feet -------- 10 feet

Weight 15 oz -----------14 oz
(By my scale they are both lighter than advertized but are in fact about an oz apart)

Material Aluminum and plastic ---- Stainless steel and plastic

Bulk-The Sidekick is larger

Cost $45 shipped -------- $40 plus shipping

Okay-There are the things you could have looked up in the catalog (and not got the exact details on) Now, my findings in preliminary tests actualy setting a line in an actual tree.

Speed of deployment: The Sidekick locks and unlocks each section with a twist(about 1/16 of a turn) the Retreever just slides out in sections. The Retreever is faster-but both deploy in mere seconds.-If the retreever is carried with the hook straitned out then it actually takes a tad longer due to reshaping the flexible hook.-Pretty close to a wash.

Feel in the hand: This one is somewhat subjective but what is NOT subjective is that the Retreever is more flexible and sags more under its own weight- Advantage-- Sidekick

Pushing a rope through an overhead crotch: The Side kick has a very small hook with a little reverse bend in the tip covered by a large bead and a spot of velcro-Surprisingly this worked quite well to lift a Bowline up and drop it through a crotch. The Retreever has a large Flexible tip that can be shaped to suit. With a reverse bend in the tip it worked okay to raise and drop the rope. It was slightly more difficult to control therope with the Retreever.-Slight advantage-Sidekick

Pushing a loop of rope horizontally: The Retreever tip tends to rotate from lateral forces and drop the rope.After playing with it briefly I found a tip shape and method that worked. The Sidekick worked smoothly.-Advantage-- Sidekick

Pulling a stuck bowline out of an overhead crotch:This was an inadvertant test-I dropped the rope with a Bowline on the end into a narrow crotch with the Retreeverand got it stuck-trying to pull it out straightened the hook-trying to push spun the head and started to collapse the pole so I stopped and switched tools I unhooked it with the Sidekick without incident-Advantage- Sidekick

Reaching out to pull in a line: I expected the Retreever's large hook to be an advantage but the stiffer pole of the Sidekick made it easy to grab with its smaller hook. Both seemed equal-Perhaps in other conditions the Advantage would go to the Retreever.

Using partially extended. Both tools were usable at part extension-The Sidekick allows one to keep the tip section (which is smallest and most flexible/weakest retracted and deploy the base sections. The Retreever needs to have the tipmost section extended or it will spin so easily that control is very difficult. Advantage-Sidekick.

Either one of these tools would be useful for setting and retrieving lines in the tree and tip tying branches for removal rigging, but the Sidekick is more versatile and user friendly. Time will tell about further impressions and durability-I'll post a follow-up report after I climb with each for a while.

Stumper said:
(Arbor exotica lists the sidekichk as 27inches. Sherrill lists their product as 19 inches but that doesn't include the hook-with the hook straightened as they recommend for carry it is 24.5 inches) .
Justin, the working length is what counts, isn't it? so the sidekick reaches 8" longer?

Thanks for your comparison. I checked out the Retriever at the Sherrill booth at ISA (very helpful staff there), and found it to be pretty whippy. It seems that aluminum is a better material for this purpose. Then again, the length and strength of both are piddlin next to a 7'-14' telescoping polesaw.

Stumper,
I have not seen or heard about this type of tool.
Thanks for the comparison......price sounds reasonable.
Another tool to consider adding to the arsonal of tree gear.

Guy, The Retreever is a full one foot longer extended-so onthat count -Advantage-Retreever. As you said-it is pretty whippy-The sidekick is a good deal stiffer. Some further use will tell whether the extra foot on the Retreever is significant in normal use. Up until now I have use one of two tools for line sets in the tree-A handsaw-whickh was pretty cooll before the razortooth saws but with a Silky it is real challenge to retrieve a rope without damaging it or a polesaw- The 9 feet length of the Sidekick exceeds what I could do with a 12 foot polesaw (because the Sidekick and Retreever are one hand tools that let you lean out and work with an arm fully extended) so I don't expect to notice a lack of reach. The reality is that most of the time when setting lines I just need from 3 inches to 2 feet more than what I can reach with my handsaw-collapsed the retrieval tools are already beter than a handsaw-extend them out a couple of sections and they will far exceed what a handsaw can do-and I can carry these on my saddle without fighting with the polesaw just to set a line.

Mike Maas said:
I was just think how much more useful this tool would be if it had a blade. :)

Mike, Neither one of these tools is rugged enough to work as a polesaw-but I was thinking while using them thata collapsible Fiberglass pole that extended to about 8 feet total length with an eight-ten inch folding or retractable razortooth saw blade would be really cool-it would weigh more than these units but I think the requisite stiffness and ruggedness could be achieved in a unit that weighs under 3.5 pounds. A combination Line setter and polesaw that you could carry around on your saddle without being bitten would be fantastic. Quick-somebody work out the design and get it into production.-You can have the basic idea just send me prototypes to test!

They are both worthless in line clearance. I could use a fiberglass one. I have a Sidekick for weekends but the last twistlock doesn't always grab. Not much of a problem yet though.

Mike

Stumper said:
The reality is that most of the time when setting lines I just need from 3 inches to 2 feet more than what I can reach with my handsaw-collapsed the retrieval tools are already beter than a handsaw- -and I can carry these on my saddle without fighting with the polesaw just to set a line.
1. THe reality here is setting lines 20'+ away from where I'm standing by leaning out with a polesaw. Tip reduction without a bucket truck regularly calls for this work.

2. A polesaw that collapses down to 7' and clips on your dogleash does not require any fighting to use. I can see a great advantage to the reach-extenders and appreciate your comments on them. But advancing the rope with a polesaw is easy; it pushes as well as it pulls, and the tool can saw, too. :p

Not trying to make any more converts here, just passing on one person's experience.

I would actually like a real sturdy one that can collapse to about 8 inches and extend to 5 ft. That would be plenty for me and I would be able to carry it in a pouch on my saddle without it getting in the way.

sidekick vs.re-treever headto head field test

Stumper--
Thanks for the posting of your own field test of the sidekick vs. re-treever field test. As we speak TSI magazine is having a write-up of their own field test compiled. Hope to post those results soon. Tis a usefull and valuable tool that I am convinced would greatly enhance the safety and efficentcy of the majority of arborists everywhere. Contrary to Tobe Sherills assertion in the sponsor forum of this web-site, I for one do believe this to be a significant tool for arborists. If Sherrills feels this way-- then why the full-page catalog spread for the competing re-treever?
Old Dude

Thanks Stumper for your work here! I picked up a retriever last year but don't like the way the pole section collapse as you lift rope above you. I like the idea of the side kick that allows the user to lock each section so it dosen't collapse while in use. Just my .02! HC

old dude said:
If Sherrills feels this way-- then why the full-page catalog spread for the competing re-treever?

I can answer that.:clap:

A. The Retreever takes up only half a page in our catalog.
B. When we originally decided how much space each product got, Tobe only wanted the Retreever to get 1/4 page, at the most. But once we got into the laying out of the pages, we found our selves with extra room and nothing to really put on the page with the Retreever, other than a half page advertisement. So, I stretched out the Retreever's items to fill the space. We had a cool new photo of the device in use, so I just made it as large as space allowed. If you look at the layout, there's only 1 paragraph of text, and 2 photos that were enlarged to fill the area.

I'd be happy to answer any other catalog related questions.

-Sean

catalog question

Sean--
When was the re-treever showcased on the Sherrills display floor and about how many 'moved' before the decision to prominately display in the catalog? When I first put the (sidekick)into Tobe's hand six years ago I was told that it must 'move' off the floor before possible inclusion in the catalog.

I use a Greenlee EZ Reach Fish Stix (used for retrieving electrical wires in conduit) the whole unit is incredibly strong fiberglass with stainless steel threaded ferrules, and your choice of a hook or a loop on the end. 3 pieces, 4 feet each for 12 feet total (they have a 24 footer as well). very handy for rec tree climbing, strong enough that you can bend it while finagling a rope thru a branch or whatever. also it is NON CONDUCTIVE, according to GreenLee

540-24.jpg

Back