Advertising strategy for new tree co.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddhlakebound

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello to all, and many thanks for the information and advice archived here. I've done a good bit of reading here, lurking and learning. Now I want to run an idea by you all, and develop a stronger strategy.

First some background.

My partner and I have been friends forever, have a similar background, and similar interests. We both used to manage fast food restaurants. (I saw treeminator once, trying to steal some of my crew) We also both ran a chainsaw off and on for most of our lives. Almost a year ago he started work with a local company, doing r.o.w. line clearance, mostly on 7kv single or three phase. I started a week later. We were not on the same crew, but both had competent foreman. All crews were outfitted similarly, and handled all types of line clearance, back woods and front yard, ground work, bucket work, climbing tree after tree after tree (with spikes mostly) when the truck couldnt go there. Pulling overhang was a common thing, both from the bucket and climbing.

Within several months I became a proficient climber, my partner adequate or better. (I say proficient and adequate based upon my experiences there, and understand how little I knew then, and how little I still know.)

Well we ended up on a crew together, with my foreman, and things start to go downhill. With the foreman that is. We end up doing 85% of the work, and put up with his crappy attitude and being treated like slaves. Toward the end we were both 95% sure he was using meth, and could tell from one day to the next if it was an Up day, or a Down day.

We were fed up. Fed up with our foreman, our company, fed up with making $9.50 and hour, and fed up with working for someone else altogether.

So we did what most of you have done at some point. We got a business license and a cool million of liability insurance. Two weeks later we quit. Now we are two months down the road. Its just the two of us, without employees at this point, and we are gambling as we don't have work comp ins yet. We havent made a killing by any means. But we have not lost money by quitting, and are accumulating gear. And customers. But we have had to run our butts off to keep jobs lined up.

Last week we made a deal to trade half a days labor and gas for 12 weeks advertising in a local classified paper. We get a 2x2 color business card ad, and a color logo reader ad each week.

My idea is to use the weekly reader ad as sort of tree tips section for homeowners/potential customers. In my humble and limited experience it seems that many people have no idea whatsoever about proper tree care, hazard analysis, root care, root/foundation interactions, limb/roof interactions, and sometimes lack common sense altogether.

So where should I start? What issues do you all find that homeowners are the most concerned with? What topics will get the largest/quickest response?
Some tree companies around here (S.W. Missouri) advertise topping services. Should I say in print that "only dummies allow their trees to be topped"?

What are some keywords that you all have found to get good response in advertising? In general, how do we get a backlog of work? We want to be able to afford, and need crew and work comp. And a chipper. Then a box truck. Pickups and trailers are fine, but we intend to establish a more professional image.

Our gear includes 2 full sets climbing gear and ropes. 5 husky saws that roll with us, 3 less useful saws at home. jameson poles, saw head, brush hook, corona pruner, limited rigging gear (thats what we're mostly buying now) and cleanup tools. We have a free dump site. We already have a customer base for firewood. At this point we have very little overhead, no debt, and fairly reasonable personal living expenses. If we can stay busy it would not be difficult to be able to spend a couple thousand a week on equipment to grow our business.

We always think safety first. We practice proper pruning techniques. We use PPE. We refuse to top trees. All trims are done spikeless. (I think its harder, but more fun.) We show up on time for all bids and jobs. When we're done you can't tell we've been there except for the stump and occasional divot. We are well groomed, I do have long hair though. We are very polite to customers and potential clients. In time I will get my ISA certification, but I am not ready, and don't meet the 3 year requirement for Arborist yet.

So help please, how do we develop a backlog of work? All advice and responses are appreciated.

Thanks, Dean Hudson, Tree Solutions

Dean, welcome to the site! IMHO, let the 2x2 business card be just that, a business card that gives your name, number and what you do. Word of mouth is the best, and that takes time. Good luck with the adventure! Oh, and 1st on the list of to do's...workmans comp! Climb safe!

Sounds like a good plan with the local paper info/ads. If you want to find text and themes for your ads, look through the link below; free for the downloading.

ISA is a great source of information; joining is a good investment. Sell quality tree care--increasing tree health and value while lessening tree risk. Learn PHC; visit your county ag extension for free info and handouts to study and share with clients. Take their Master Gardener class--GREAT way to make local contacts and get referrals, and a cheap and easy certification to get.

I don't have workmens comp and never will again because i will never have 3 employees again so it is not needed. I'd check MO law before signing up for that siphon job, unless you like getting hosed.:jawdrop:

Emphasize ANSI standard pruning. It's a way to discredit topping without getting personal with competing crews. Seer's right, if you are not required to carry workmen's comp, don't. Cut your stumps flush with the ground. Certification would be wise, I'm not certified, but have use certified methods for seventeen years, that alone has meant that I continually have a backlog with very little advertising and zero customer follow up. I pay big bucks for DSL and commercial phone, I expect it to ring for me. Stick to your guns about topping and spikes, word will get around. Hell, I'll recommend you just on what you've said, and I'm not far away.

DDLakeboy-Tell us about Treeminator please, lets hear it all, his size, wieght, vehicle type, anything you can remember. Read it again men, don't feed the trolls, I smell heavy BS, funny, funny. Just cause it is a lengthy, fairly well written post, caution is called for, Treeminator is laughing. I think the p.c., no spikes for pruning crap is there to stroke your egos, anyways we shall see, if I'm wrong, I don't care.

One year of experience and you two guys are attempting to run a tree care company, offering a service to your costumers you know very little about about. Going from a R.O.W Line Clearance position in our industry that pays $9.50 an hr (a wage I'm sure is not in line with prevailing wages as a Line Clearance ground man in any state) to competing against experienced and legitimate companies providing tree removal and arborist services. The ultimate question in your post; should you advertise a forum educating the public about tree care? My question to you: Don't you feel dishonest using what little knowledge you have as a marketing tool to manipulate ignorant people into thinking you are an expert in caring for their trees????

A troll a troll laughing in the dark

clearance said:
DDLakeboy-Tell us about Treeminator please, lets hear it all, his size, wieght, vehicle type, anything you can remember. Read it again men, don't feed the trolls, I smell heavy BS, funny, funny. Just cause it is a lengthy, fairly well written post, caution is called for, Treeminator is laughing. I think the p.c., no spikes for pruning crap is there to stroke your egos, anyways we shall see, if I'm wrong, I don't care.
Guys, Diltree, clue in here, remember the Treeminator???? Do you, wasn't that long ago, "I get my guys from fast food places, pay them $8 hr., the thread "how to steal employees, posted by Treeminator" all the other funny stuff? I was one of the first, along with others to call BS on this tard, Big John cussed me out huge about it, he was so embarrased I was right he hasn't been back. Read DDLakeboys post carefully now, check it out, example="pulling overhang from the bucket" with a bucket you don't pull overhang, thats whats good about a bucket, for starters.

clearance said:

Well thanks clearance....I figured I'd be replying to you fairly quickly in this thread (but I thought it would be cause I came from a (even if limited) line clearance background,) and not cause you thought I was full of crap.

Just so you know.....The treeminator comment was a joke. I did formerly manage a fast food restaurant, and I've read daily here for a few months. So the opportunity for a funny was to easy.

And about the "p.c. no spikes for pruning crap"......well basically its common sense. Is a paying customer going to select the guy who leaves his tree unwounded, or the guy who leaves a spike trail up the trunk, all other variables being equal? I'm out of r.o.w. work now. I like paying customers. Paying customers like their trees. Pretty easy decision to lay the spikes aside for trims.

Oh yeah.....the name is ddhlakebound......its been my online name for years. ddh is me.....and basically, i try so spend as much time as possible on or near the lake, hunting, fishing, camping, whatever.......so unless you want to be nicknamed clarice for as long as I post here, let "lakeboy" go.

diltree said:
One year of experience and you two guys are attempting to run a tree care company, offering a service to your costumers you know very little about about. Going from a R.O.W Line Clearance position in our industry that pays $9.50 an hr (a wage I'm sure is not in line with prevailing wages as a Line Clearance ground man in any state) to competing against experienced and legitimate companies providing tree removal and arborist services. The ultimate question in your post; should you advertise a forum educating the public about tree care? My question to you: Don't you feel dishonest using what little knowledge you have as a marketing tool to manipulate ignorant people into thinking you are an expert in caring for their trees????

Fair questions

Yes, after one year of experience we are attempting to run a tree care company. Yes, we are attempting to compete with companies who advertise topping, make flush cuts, bid jobs at unrealistically high prices, do substandard cleanup. We have no delusions that we are better or more qualified than experenced, reputable companies. But at the same time, everyone starts somewhere, and this is where we are now.

We are smart enough to know our limitations with our gear and skills. If we look at a job we aren't qualified for, we refer the customer to someone who is.

Do I feel dishonest using what knowledge I have as a marketing tool?

Absolutley not. I understand the value of a lifetime customer. If I don't know the answer to a question, I don't bs them. I go find the answer, and get back to them. I won't remove a tree just to make a buck.

Yesterday we looked at a local farm, with a wide crowned elm growing next to and over a barn, and a 28in dbh pin oak on the corner of the house, about 25 feet away. The customer wanted bids for removal of both. The pin oak was a beautiful tree, healthy, without a single visible defect. He wanted it topped or gone. After explaining to him that the oak was valuable to his property, and that it would be compromised permanently if it were topped. We left his place with the elm to be removed next week, and the pin oak to be deadwooded and two branches over the house trimmed.

I could manipulate ignorant people if I chose. I choose not. And I never claimed to be an expert....but I learn quickly.

clearance said:
Guys, Diltree, clue in here, remember the Treeminator???? Do you, wasn't that long ago, "I get my guys from fast food places, pay them $8 hr., the thread "how to steal employees, posted by Treeminator" all the other funny stuff? I was one of the first, along with others to call BS on this tard, Big John cussed me out huge about it, he was so embarrased I was right he hasn't been back. Read DDLakeboys post carefully now, check it out, example="pulling overhang from the bucket" with a bucket you don't pull overhang, thats whats good about a bucket, for starters.

Yeah, read carefully, I may have made other minor errors. In my effort to not make a long post longer I said "pull overhang from a bucket"......sry. Trim overhang from the bucket......better clearance?

rebelman said:
Emphasize ANSI standard pruning. It's a way to discredit topping without getting personal with competing crews. Seer's right, if you are not required to carry workmen's comp, don't. Cut your stumps flush with the ground. Certification would be wise, I'm not certified, but have use certified methods for seventeen years, that alone has meant that I continually have a backlog with very little advertising and zero customer follow up. I pay big bucks for DSL and commercial phone, I expect it to ring for me. Stick to your guns about topping and spikes, word will get around. Hell, I'll recommend you just on what you've said, and I'm not far away.

Thanks rebelman.
Does commercial phone = yellow page advertising? Approximately what is that costing you, for what type of ad?

vharrison2 said:
Dean, welcome to the site! IMHO, let the 2x2 business card be just that, a business card that gives your name, number and what you do. Word of mouth is the best, and that takes time. Good luck with the adventure! Oh, and 1st on the list of to do's...workmans comp! Climb safe!

In addition to the 2x2 ad we also get a reader ad in another section. That's what I'm wanting topics to use for advertising, preferably topics which successful tree companies use effectively in advertising.

"The pin oak was a beautiful tree, healthy, without a single visible defect. He wanted it topped or gone. After explaining to him that the oak was valuable to his property, and that it would be compromised permanently if it were topped. We left his place with the elm to be removed next week, and the pin oak to be deadwooded and two branches over the house trimmed."

That compromise sounds good for your level of experience. Later on, you may be able to sell presrvation for the elms too, and the client will have two lasting assets. But for now, you may be ahead of the average poster/lurker here, who says "The customer is always right", and grabs the quick cash.

Re what to put into ads, sell tree risk management Here's afree resource to look into http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/uf/utrmm/index.htm and attached is one person's glimpse into the topic. whoops i can't attach it cuz i've attached it before--? pm me for more info then.

The customer wants the tree gone, saw it down. Treeseer and his ilk want trees saved in almost all cases, not disputing the fact they love trees at all. Would like to point out that when the tree is removed, the money stops, the customer never pays for it again, the tree service never gets paid for it again. The tree will never harm anyone or any property. If the tree stays, tree services get paid again and again, this is part of the campaign to save them all, money in the bank. "Sell preservation", indeed.

To compete against hacks doing buzzwork, we need to educate clients first to check for insurance. That'd weed a lot of em out. Then show them the value of trees, which yes helps sell maintenance. If your property increases in value, you can afford to spend a little to maintain that value.

clearance said:
his ilk want trees saved .
That's because our clients want them saved, because the trees have value. Simple.

Right, ilk? :popcorn:

Yes, the logs we have lifted off peoples smashed houses have value as well, to the sawmill, the restoration carpenters, roofers, us. Treeseer, what do you do when someone says to you "I don't care, I understand what you are telling me, but I want this tree cut down, are you going to do it or not?" Do you cut it down or do you leave in a hissy fit?

clearance said:
Would like to point out that when the tree is removed, the money stops, the customer never pays for it again, the tree service never gets paid for it again. The tree will never harm anyone or any property. If the tree stays, tree services get paid again and again, this is part of the campaign to save them all, money in the bank. "Sell preservation", indeed.
Dang, you sure make it sound as if trees are EVIL! They harm people, they harm property and do nothing but cost money!

"Trees, a leading cause of poverty..."

:notrolls2:

Back