Advertising strategy for new tree co.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
what do you do when someone says to you "I don't care, I understand what you are telling me, but I want this tree cut down, are you going to do it or not?" Do you cut it down or do you leave in a hissy fit?

Neither. :buttkick:

I find out their reasons for wanting that tree down. If it's to add onto their house, I may (and have) looked at their options with them, and found a better alternative, building with the tree. If it's a very good reason, down it comes--but a new one gets planted elsewhere. Our company policy is not to remove trees, but to replace them. Most people like that concept. ;)

If they don't have a coherent reason, but insist on it anyway, I regretfully inform them of our company policy against harming our clients' interests (i.e., I don't work for a-holes if I can help it), and refer them to the most expensive takedown artist I know.

A few times in the past I've acted hissy and made bids of $9,999.99, but I'm trying to be more diplomatic now.

I always find Clearance posts very interesting. His expertise in tree care falls short of the approved methods in the ANSI. This coupled with his ability to try and skew every thread to further his own objective shows a character flaw.

When a business stops learning from others and will not change there ways, the business will fail. This is the same with people.

Now trees fail that is part of life but we as professionals have more that one way to limit the failure. Better to have a bag full of tricks than just a bag.

Good luck in the business.

:popcorn:

treeseer said:
If they don't have a coherent reason, but insist on it anyway, I regretfully inform them of our company policy against harming our clients' interests (i.e., I don't work for a-holes if I can help it), and refer them to the most expensive takedown artist I know.
So people who want trees cut down for reasons you do not agree with are "a-
holes". Seems a pretty harsh take on a person, for merely wanting a tree gone. At least you have called takedown people artists, I just say I am good at it, thanks for the compliment. Larry the Cable Guy and Blueridge, you tools can barely climb out of bed, never mind a tree, stick to what you know, whatever that is.

"Simple--That's the operative word here, tree."

I knew that someone would get it, and say so. :givebeer:

In order to save more trees, I think we need to educate homeowners on where to plant new trees. I do nothing but takedowns and I don't know how many people i've seen plant another tree in the same spot, even when the one I just took down was so close to a building that it was causing problems. Also, I have taken down trees under the power lines after the ROW crews have topped them and the've started dying, yet people will still plant new ones under the lines. Don't they realize that in a few years, the same cycle will be repeated?:confused:

clearance said:
...Larry the Cable Guy and Blueridge, you tools can barely climb out of bed, never mind a tree, stick to what you know, whatever that is.
Clearance: Funny, I never said that I could climb trees. I didn't take issue with YOU, I took issue with something that you SAID. Pathetic that you can't feel O.K. about yourself without taking jabs at everyone else.

If a tree care guy talks someone out of dropping a tree in favor of pruning it and they are happy enough with the results to rehire the guy the following year...Why is that is wrong? Because the guy gets paid to trim the same tree year after year? If he is getting paid for an honest day's work by a repeat client how can there be anything wrong with that?

Repeat clients are a sign of a successful business. Never having the same client and always having to look for new clients is a sign that they are not satisfied.

beowulf343 said:
In order to save more trees, I think we need to educate homeowners on where to plant new trees. I do nothing but takedowns and I don't know how many people i've seen plant another tree in the same spot, even when the one I just took down was so close to a building that it was causing problems. Also, I have taken down trees under the power lines after the ROW crews have topped them and the've started dying, yet people will still plant new ones under the lines. Don't they realize that in a few years, the same cycle will be repeated?:confused:
I think we need to educate some ISA arborists on where to plant trees, the city of Surrey BC staff arborists had maples planted beside a 25kv 3 phase a few years back, guess what now? Those terrible ROW crews, topping trees under the powerline and killing them, tsk, tsk, why couldn't the line be moved to save the trees, where are the utilities priorities? Larry, the treeguy gets paid to trim the same tree year after year, get it? Thats the scam, the money in the bank, kind of like a mechanic "fixing" some old ladies car, again and again. Plant away everyone, anywhere, its all good, someone will pay for it later, one way or the other.

clearance said:
The customer wants the tree gone, saw it down. Treeseer and his ilk want trees saved in almost all cases, not disputing the fact they love trees at all. Would like to point out that when the tree is removed, the money stops, the customer never pays for it again, the tree service never gets paid for it again. The tree will never harm anyone or any property. If the tree stays, tree services get paid again and again, this is part of the campaign to save them all, money in the bank. "Sell preservation", indeed.

I think I just figured out what happened in the old fairy tale. That goose was layin a golden egg every single day, til clearance came along and in his wisdom, beheaded the poor beast, and split it open, trying to get all the golden eggs at once.

I run a tree service; we are a very successful tree service for a number of reasons. The main reason is found simply in the word service; we are a service oriented company. We only provide services we are professionals at performing, We will never send a guy with a year experience to prune your trees, or cut them down. We also understand that no matter what service we provide the end result is to satisfy our costumers. We make it a point to educate our costumers on available options when a tree removal is in question, and gladly give our recommendations for a course of action; still we never loose site of the fact that the costumer will choose what service they wish performed. With this concept in mind I don't understand the point of the recent discussion, and I also still stand bye the statement that the guys that started this thread belong serving fast food until they get some real experience under their belt. When people hire a service they want professionals, no one becomes a true pro in one year, no matter what the sport or profession.

www.dillontree.com

I'm not trying to change the subject or anything.....er....well......actually I am.......

I was sort of wondering about some tips and tactics to maximize the effectiveness of print advertising. Or something like that.

Ideas?
Keywords?
Stories and examples?

ddhlakebound said:
I'm not trying to change the subject or anything.....er....well......actually I am.......

I was sort of wondering about some tips and tactics to maximize the effectiveness of print advertising. Or something like that.

Ideas?
Keywords?
Stories and examples?

here's what i do and it works really good. i go door-to-door and in a nice neighborhood and physically nail my business card to whatever tree i think needs trimmed or removed. this usually results in an angry phonecall from the homeowner, but after smoothing it over i work on closing the sale. i usually get a 20% SOLD rate from these cards.

diltree said:
I run a tree service; we are a very successful tree service for a number of reasons. The main reason is found simply in the word service; we are a service oriented company. We only provide services we are professionals at performing, We will never send a guy with a year experience to prune your trees, or cut them down. We also understand that no matter what service we provide the end result is to satisfy our costumers. We make it a point to educate our costumers on available options when a tree removal is in question, and gladly give our recommendations for a course of action; still we never loose site of the fact that the costumer will choose what service they wish performed. With this concept in mind I don't understand the point of the recent discussion, and I also still stand bye the statement that the guys that started this thread belong serving fast food until they get some real experience under their belt. When people hire a service they want professionals, no one becomes a true pro in one year, no matter what the sport or profession.

www.dillontree.com

While I understand what you are saying, I respectfully disagree. Our goal, like yours is satisfied customers. At the end of the day, when the trimming or removal is done, and done correctly, what is the difference between someone with twenty years experience doing the job, and someone with one year. Your crew undoubtedly finished first. Your crew probably charged more. Your crew is definately capable of higher level of technical rigging.

But if my crew accepted the job, its because we're capable of doing the job correctly. And satisfying the customer. Simply because we are not capable of doing every job you are capable of doing does not mean we should not be in the tree business. Or have you forgotten that you were new once too?

Yes, our inexperience does somewhat increase the level of risk. We pay for that in our insurance fees. And as far as personal injury risk, well I feel safer already not spending all day next to hot 7kv lines.

Now diltree, do you have any advertising advice? Or are you just going to continue stating that I have no business in the tree business?

"no one becomes a true pro in one year, no matter what the sport or profession."

Oh, I don't know about that. Professionalism is a matter of mindset, mostly; I think ddh has a professional outlook on arboriculture even if he's only been at it a year or 3. I've been at it 40 but that doesn't make me more professional than someone who's been at it only 10 or 20 does it?:monkey:

Print ads, hmm, the best wording depends on the publication and the audience. After a hurricane I put out an ad that said, "Trees can be repaired, too!"
It only got a few calls, but those were the audience I wanted to reach. Ten years later they are still excellent clients. Why? Because I did not cut all their trees down. I care for them.

Oh, and do NOT nail stuff to people's trees. That is trespassing, damage to their property, stuff that is not legal. Fearmongering is not professional. :notrolls2:

Your Reply was well thought out and respectful, and good luck in your new endeavor. You still must understand that I simply have a problem with guys that spend a year working in any industry and believe they are ready to run a professional service. I just feel like people like that are looking to make a fast buck at the homeowners expense, and essentially their business is a scam. People automatically assume those in business that advertise are professionals when in reality they are being mislead. Still there will always be those lacking in integrity that are willing to pray on the ignorant consumer. Understand, that you may be the fastest study ever and in one year have become an expert...the truth is i don't know you, but my feelings are related to all small businesses were gypsies screw Innocent consumers, and your post brought that thought to mind first and foremost.

My thoughts are not that men who have only a years experience are out to scam but simply that they do not have the time in to do the job safely and run the business well. It took me a few years until I became good at climbing (and according to many here I am no good cause I use spurs), a lot of actual work and a few really good guys who taught me everything. Having someone good to show you is the best way. I still have much to learn and get better every day cause I am determined to get better, Rome wasn't built in a day, the old saying goes. Good luck to you.

diltree said:
Your Reply was well thought out and respectful, and good luck in your new endeavor. You still must understand that I simply have a problem with guys that spend a year working in any industry and believe they are ready to run a professional service. I just feel like people like that are looking to make a fast buck at the homeowners expense, and essentially their business is a scam. People automatically assume those in business that advertise are professionals when in reality they are being mislead. Still there will always be those lacking in integrity that are willing to pray on the ignorant consumer. Understand, that you may be the fastest study ever and in one year have become an expert...the truth is i don't know you, but my feelings are related to all small businesses were gypsies screw Innocent consumers, and your post brought that thought to mind first and foremost.

This thought I understand, and basically agree with.

Yes, we would have been better of to have stayed in our hourly jobs learning from people with more experience than ourselves. But thats not how things worked out. And we were both somewhat unwilling to begin a hunt for another hourly job of unknown quality.

The stigmata of being scam/hack artists, especially as a startup, door to door, truck and trailer outfit, can only be overcome by time. Words at this point are only words. In a couple of years, when our company is still in business, and growing, there will be evidence to say "they were ready to run a professional service".

I'm probably not the fastest study ever. But I am quick to learn and retain information, and I've devoted countless hours of reading and study to learn more about arboriculture. Expert may take a while yet though.

ddhlakebound said:
This thought I understand, and basically agree with.

Yes, we would have been better of to have stayed in our hourly jobs learning from people with more experience than ourselves. But thats not how things worked out. And we were both somewhat unwilling to begin a hunt for another hourly job of unknown quality.

The stigmata of being scam/hack artists, especially as a startup, door to door, truck and trailer outfit, can only be overcome by time. Words at this point are only words. In a couple of years, when our company is still in business, and growing, there will be evidence to say "they were ready to run a professional service".

I'm probably not the fastest study ever. But I am quick to learn and retain information, and I've devoted countless hours of reading and study to learn more about arboriculture. Expert may take a while yet though.

You guys are on a great start. You have insurance and are willing to ask questions. You guys will do great things. Good luck and never let things get in your way of your dreams.

ddhlakebound said:

Ideas?
Keywords?
Stories and examples?

Use the top 25% of your ad as a headline, an ad for your ad if you like. Dont waste it on your business name, as much as youd like to see it up in lights no one else knows you yet, save this for when you are a household name. Think of something that will grab their attention and make them want to read the rest of your ad to find out more. Then dont waste the rest of your ad like most do just stating the obvious "pruning, removals, fully insured, etc.." Use it to tell them what benefits they will get, what makes dealing with you better than your competitors. Make directed at them and past tense, as though they have already gotten that benefit, meaning not "we will xxxx" but instead "you get xxxx" Also give some kind of offer, a call to action, preferably with a time limit. Put your business name in the bottom left corner and phone no in bottom right corner.

These are proven concepts, not my own idea but i use them and they work. The key is to test & measure, try different things and find out how everyone heard about you and record all data.
A lot of people here have concerns about your limited Arb experience/knowledge but your success will depend as much or more so on business experience and knowledge.

Good luck
Trev

In order to be in the yellow pages you must be a commercial line- 80$ a month, DSL- 80$ a month. Yellow page ad, one line bold print--60$ a month. Thats right, with taxes and access fees it's ridiculous. I use my cell for long distance or I'd really be getting reamed. They even double billed me for long distance many times. Small town monopoly. Closed during lunch hour.

Last edited:
Getting your number in the Yellow pages

I have found a way to get a phone number in the yellow pages and also listed online
by using what is called remote call forwarding. At least that is what they call it in
my area of the country, Southern Louisiana.

It works like this, You chose the area (area code) that you want your businesss in
and they give you a line that is then call forwarded to any
phone number that you give them.

This cost me between $25 - $30 and is much cheaper than having
a seperate business line that goes for min $60 to $80.

For someone starting out in the business it works well and a
well established business can also use this to expand into other
neighboring areas.

You can also request that this number be placed in other area codes
phone books for a very small fee.

I did this using Bell South and I find it extremely flexible.

I set it up to forward to my home ofc phone # and then call forward
my homephone to my cell phone when out of the office.

The only added cost to this is if your business line is sent to a number
that is out of that area code. This will add long distance charges to
each call but at .25 cents max per business call I will take the hit.

Doing high end pruning is a must in this area of the country (live oaks, magnolias)
and the real estate offices are a great place to drop by
and say hello every once in a while. They are busy most of the time
but if you have some great before and after pictures that you can
quickly share with them or a web sight with photos of your work
then they will recognize your attention to detail. This will add value
to the property that they are trying to sell and everyone will gain
from your work.

I would rather prune 30 trees than remove 1

Hope this helps some of the guys trying to save a few $$ and have a great one.

By the way this is my first post to the board and I have spent a
great deal of time reading it prior to posting and great information was found.

Latest posts

Back