Sorry for asking 260/260 compatibility

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have aquired 2 kits from MS260s that were converted to something else. Bought them for the bar + chains, which will fit my 280s (not 028). The weather keeps me in the house where it is dry and warm right now, so please excuse me...I should be tellin you if the parts work.;)
Anyone put any chain drive parts from the 260 Pro (clutch drum with splined and moving sprocket) on a MS280?:confused:

According to my parts list cross reference, the MS260 drive parts will not work on an MS280. AFter checking the MS270 it does say they will work. When I query the MS260 it doesn't show that. Hummmmm

026/MS260-270-280 should have the same clutch, clutch drums (rim or spur), bar mount (bars)

Lakeside, now you've confused me. I've owned and operated more than a couple 026's and 026Pro's. The ONLY difference was the adjustable oiler and compression release on the 026Pro version. Mechanically they were identical (not counting stupid year-to-year changes in things like carbs and gas tank vents). There is no way for me to believe your assertation that the 026 and 026Pro use different clutches, seeing as how I have swapped these parts before on my own saws.

edited to add: Unless you're referring to the possibility that most 026 models came with a spur sprocket and most (but not all) 026Pros came with a rim sprocket? They are still interchangable though, since the crank is the same.

skwerl said:
Lakeside, now you've confused me. I've owned and operated more than a couple 026's and 026Pro's. The ONLY difference was the adjustable oiler and compression release on the 026Pro version. Mechanically they were identical (not counting stupid year-to-year changes in things like carbs and gas tank vents). There is no way for me to believe your assertation that the 026 and 026Pro use different clutches, seeing as how I have swapped these parts before on my own saws.

edited to add: Unless you're referring to the possibility that most 026 models came with a spur sprocket and most (but not all) 026Pros came with a rim sprocket? They are still interchangable though, since the crank is the same.

Not the clutch, the Clutch Drum. That was the original topic The Pro drum is different because the oil pump is different. ...

Are you sure?:confused:
Drums for the both have incision for the oil pump driving

Yep. The non-pro drum is only 13mm wide and not incised. The Pro version is 18mm wide and incised. You can mount a non pro drum but it won't drive the pro oil pump.

I can send pictures of both if you like.

Very interesting:dizzy:
I just looked the one in my MS270. It is rather 18mm wide (if to measure from outer side and has incision.
How on non pro the oil pump is drived then:confused:

pinus said:
Very interesting:dizzy:
I just looked the one in my MS270. It is rather 18mm wide (if to measure from outer side and has incision.
How on non pro the oil pump is drived then:confused:

On the non-pro, the clutch just clamps down on the center of the pump worm. On the Pro, a sleeve hold the clutch off the worm so the worm can rotate freely. This is why it pumps always when the engine is running on the non-pro, and only when the drum (chain moves) rotates and engages the worm spring on the pro.

Latest posts

Back