Warning for occaisonal users who use corn oil for b&C oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yeah this stuff gets real sticky and has caused my chains and my pro lite sprocketnose to seize up. This happened after I let the saws sit basically for 2-3 months though. I don't cut much in the summer since I am not currently in the business and my firewood sales are non existent. If you run your saw at least once a month this is not a problem. On the plus side, I don't think it did any permanent damage, at least not to the 390 Bow and chain. the bow has no sprocket so once I lubed it up and got the chain unstuck it was happy again. I'm soaking the Pro lite in biodiesel as we speak, which should unseize it. Lets hope so. Just a friendly caution,
J.D.

Ive never heard of anything being used as B&C oil except B&C oil...

Rookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha
Ive never heard of anything being used as B&C oil except B&C oil...
no offense ive used mix tranny fluid 3N1 oil you pretty much name it ive used it(including 30 weight stihl bar and chain oil in my trucks)MY MOTTO......
whatever it takes.NO idea the damage its prolly done

Told ya all so, this was talked about here before, some said it was the best thing since sliced bread, I said no way, oh well. Dino for me, Husky or Stihl, don't matter.

Why would you use corn oil ? no offense but are you a tree hugger or leaf kisser ? Hope you don't use corn oil in your truck or tractor also.

Rotax

I have a perfectly good old Homelite with a wasted oil pump due to veggie oil having gone rancid in the tank and lines.:bang:

clearance said:
Told ya all so, this was talked about here before, some said it was the best thing since sliced bread, I said no way, oh well. Dino for me, Husky or Stihl, don't matter.

Yeah, I told ya all so too! :hmm3grin2orange:

Rotax Robert said:
Why would you use corn oil ? no offense but are you a tree hugger or leaf kisser ? Hope you don't use corn oil in your truck or tractor also.

Rotax

I certainly share you're skeptisism, we are looking for a chaep alternative, and to cut the oil industry down a bit! Shear curiosity to see if the wear factor was higher, and what other problems might exist, I think we are learning now:popcorn:
Andy

Alright guys, I'm not a tree hugger, and its not really about being cheap either. Let me clarify my issue. If you don't use your saw for awhile that crap will seize things up especially the chain and the sprocket at the barnose. When I was cutting every couple of days I had no problems whatsover. I don't doubt the stuff will eat any natural rubber seals in oil pumps, it does so in SVO and WVO fuel systems. I'm not taking a position for or against it, and I don't care if I bugger up a bar or two along the way, the curiousity definitley would have the best of me if I didn't use it. Additionally there is at least one honest to goodness arborist here who uses it in all his saws and again I suspect, newer saws, less natural rubber parts, used every day=no problems.

Canola

Canola is the seed oil to use. They say to run some conventional oil through before storage.

Elmore said:
Canola is the seed oil to use. They say to run some conventional oil through before storage.
Yes. Better yet never put saw into storage. Fire it up every night before bed. It will make you feel better and the fumes help you sleep.:blob2:

my work saws get Stihl bar oil or a custom Chevron blend from a somewhat local oil company. i will be sticking with the proper stuff in my saws. it has never screwed up my bars or chain... i will not put my equipment at risk on a gamble.

NWCS said:
my work saws get Stihl bar oil or a custom Chevron blend from a somewhat local oil company. i will be sticking with the proper stuff in my saws. it has never screwed up my bars or chain... i will not put my equipment at risk on a gamble.
So far no one has asked you to.:D I do find it funny though that modifying a saw does not put it at risk. No need to respond, I have read those threads. Look at it this way, this guy has modified his oil and it did not work. Next step, buy some heat stabilized soy oil(cheaper, better, and does not help prop up a failing corn industry) and try that. It is better in all ways but smell(fishy).:bang:

Thanks for the info and don't stop trying. We all learn.

I have used bar lube in my ford to get out of the woods before.
used my tractors 15/40 afterwards to bring oil pressure up.

Back