Warning for occaisonal users who use corn oil for b&C oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used Poulan Oil, Generic Oil, Stihl Oil...but the best oil Ive found so far is made by Shindaiwa.

I picked up a Gallon for 12 bucks a while back and use it in my saws before heavy use. Otherwise I use some generic bar oil...

I know my neighbor used some of the B&C oil that comes in a little quart container, like motor oil, and it cooked his gear pump on his Poulan. The stuff was like molasses, Ive never seen oil so thick.

I like the Shindaiwa oil because it didnt sling off the bar easily, and seemed to coat the chain nicely.

Finaly a thread worthy of this fine forum. This has been a subject that has needed our attention for sometime now, one gets tired of the relentless discussion as to weather or not you use a high compression oil cap or whats the correct clearance between knibbling pins. This is a subject that I have quite a bit of experience with. Recycled auto fluids most certainly work well as a bar/chain lubricant, now some will say that there would be very little tackyness in recycled antifreeze when quite the contrary is true. I recently went out and checked my 5 gallon tub of bar oil and found that the 4 quarts of stopleak I added last spring provided more than ample tackyness to make it stick to the chain and bar rails also as an added benefit my oil leak ceased on my Husky 357xpg. Another benefit of using it as bar lube is that it helps the environment. Now some will say "how could that be?" which lends to the fact that I usually just dumped it all in one spot (usually under the car on blocks) but by putting it in my saw I am able to spread it around my entire 10 acres when cutting wood. I would safely say that it is probably less than 10 or 20 ppm although I do not have the exact figures yet, Anyway with the way the EPA seems to frequent my property at these levels I have not recieved a fine in 3 years which makes me feel good that I am doing my part. I will write more on this subject as I have time and divulge a host of information to you all as time permits Please be patient as the information that I will provide is probably more than most of you can comprehend in one sitting.

People all have their opinions. Update however, I freed up the chain and sprocket with some biodiesel and no harm done. Filled it with more corn oil, but I will be using canola or something better after I use all that stuff up. It does lube well, just turns sticky if you let it sit. I agree, I would fire teh saw up everyday if I could get away with it.

Diesel JD said:
People all have their opinions. Update however, I freed up the chain and sprocket with some biodiesel and no harm done. Filled it with more corn oil, but I will be using canola or something better after I use all that stuff up. It does lube well, just turns sticky if you let it sit. I agree, I would fire teh saw up everyday if I could get away with it.[/QUOTE

Good for you. Do what you want and do not bow to brand or convention. Both will limit your fun. When you go out to buy your soy oil look for one that is recommended for deep fryers. High stability or heat stabilized. Good luck.

Mike Maas said:
The only problem I've had so far is getting the french fries out of that little oil fill hole when they're done.

A No. 8 crochet needle works real good... and you can make a small slit in the sweatband of yer McDonald ta carry it in... also, it's better to dice (or at least quarter) tha jumbo shrimp bufore droppin' 'em in....:deadhorse:

:biggrinbounce2:

Back