My Neighbor Story (long)...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is safe to say a wal-mart poulan isnot quite as tough built as a Stihl or Husky pro saw, but 10 minutes and broke sounds fishy.

I'm not going to call BS on you though because I have seen two different ones in my life not run right from the first day they were used.

That said, a saw can only be as good as the man behind it. If you abuse them, thet will fail. Some just take more abuse than others.

My neighbors son in law was cutting a hickory that fell last summer because it had short root from growing next to a swamp. I've known the guy for years because they lived in the old mans office trailor behind his shop while they saved for a house. Hes a ex millworker and now contractor so he's pretty good with tools.

Well I get home and hes down there working on this tree. Seems there new house has a fire place so he's gathering wood now. He seems to be doing all right with it then I hear the saw die. I go down after dinner, and he has the old Wildthing pinched, burried and stuck. I told him I'll give him a hand.

Now this tree was a big yard tree. He wasn't aware of how those things would roll if not cut up in the right manner. So I get to dropping limbs on the ground and get it down to about a few limbs and about 12 foot 26in stump. I told them all to stand back as I was cutting the lower limbs off that were left. I cut one I could see the root ball lifting the tree with each limb I removed. All of a sudden, the root ball lifted what was left of that tree straight back up with the Wildthing still in it. I tried to talk talk him into leaving the Wildthing in the tree and letting it grow there sort of as a purple and green decoration. We ended up getting his Wildthing out with out any harm. He realized that he probably would have hurt himself or his kids if he would have kept cutting.

His wife wanted to get him a good saw for Christmas that year and came and asked me what to get him. She had a price point so I had her get one of the John Deere CS46 clearance saws off of E-Bay. You would be surprised how much wood he brings in with those 2 little saws. He's called me twice now and gotten me in on some nice firewood scores on 30'' trees that he couldn't handle.

His mother in law still lives there and always brings me over some home cooking. I just picked black berrys the other day. Still got a half a pie.

Back