greasing husqy nose sprocks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tam

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
south west scotland... not any more though
hi! it's me, the veggie-oil-wonderer-abouter!

this time, i was wondering about greasing nose sprockets..

a dude once told me that if you start to grease the nose sprockets, then yu gotta keep it up, but if you don't start, then it's unnecessary.

whadda you guys reckon?

p.s. i just bought a new 455 you see

I don't know if it's true or not but that's the local "folk wisdom" around here too.
The only sprocket I've lost in the past few years is one I kept greased so I just quit greasing any new ones. So far I haven't seen difference. I picked up a new LJ on ebay a few weeks ago for $100. They come up now and then.
Phil

I run all total super bars, I dont grease. I cant remember when a tip failed before I wore the saw out.

we cycle the saws every 2 yrs. maybe 1 or 2 rail grinds in that time.

I grease tips only when doing an inordinate amount of plunge cutting (not all that often). Used to grease more frequently, but, like Mike, 5 or so years ago I just quit. Now I blow out a tip pretty much when I deserve it.

tam said:
hi! it's me, the veggie-oil-wonderer-abouter!

this time, i was wondering about greasing nose sprockets..

a dude once told me that if you start to grease the nose sprockets, then yu gotta keep it up, but if you don't start, then it's unnecessary.

whadda you guys reckon?

p.s. i just bought a new 455 you see
Ditto to what everyone has said so far-no need to grease the tips.

On another topic, how does that 455 run? Did you get the new toolless one? Asking because a homeowner friend of mine is thinking of getting one and to be honest I've never run the 455 or even know anyone who has one-usually stick to the pro models. I did own a couple of 55's though and they were a good saw.

i wish i'd checked all your replies to this thread before i went and bought some grease!! silly me! ah well i'll use it on something else!

the sprocket shall not be greased.

that's interesting about plunge cutting.i never even thought about that factor. i very rarely do it anyway though.

i've barely used my 455. my groundie has used it loads though, coz his wee 017 has just fallen apart ..again. i really like 254s, and i was on ebay looking for a new saw.i'd never heard of a rancher before. only realised it was non-pro when it arrived.it's actually the only brand-new saw i've ever bought.

i'm really impressed with her so far, though. she runs really nice, and has a nice weight to her. she also looks pretty damn cool! to be honest though, i can't really advise on whether or not to get one, coz like i say, i've only had her a week.hope that helps a teensy bit though! :monkey:

To grease or not to grease

Have nether greased any bar ,and get about twenty months work with no probs.but if cutting pines i use motor oil instead of chain oil,gives me a spotty face but who cares;
yours OLD TIMER :givebeer:

I figure they put the hole there for a reason. didn't use to grease, and did lose tips, now I grease, and haven't lost a tip since I started. different strokes I guess.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
I figure they put the hole there for a reason.
-Ralph

I'm with you Ralph. Lots of people don't grease and have had no problems but I have yet to meet a bearing that didn't like a little lube.

Since thanksgiving is over, Throw your nose sprockets in the fryer grease for a while and it will never sieze up on you. You must use peanut oil however.

It also makes you very hungry while cutting wood!:hmm3grin2orange:

I am sort of on the fence on this one. My relatively new rollertip (Stihl ES) has lube hole in it, I use it but not often and never try to force grease in there (I have one of the old white plastic syringe-type greasers with high-speed lithium/teflon in it). My experience with using stuff like red axle grease is that it seems to collect crap, and its messy. I usually do it with the chain off and let the grease push out the dust (cutting some very dry stuff on occasion) and crap while I spin it, then wipe the excess off. As said above, bearings like lube. I have yet to blow/seize a tip (knocks on wood) in many hoursa of cutting, but also rarely do plunge cuts. I have friends who cut full time that never bother doing it but then their bars are usually thrashed before anything else could go wrong I think. Bottom line for me is, its there so I do it (as my bar was pricey) but only as occasional maintainance; one exception is if I hit the dirt (rare) then I deem it prudent to pull the chain and clean the groove and tip, maybe wash the chain too. Just my inane 0.02$ worth for the evening :)

:cheers:

Hard Knocks said:
I'm with you Ralph. Lots of people don't grease and have had no problems but I have yet to meet a bearing that didn't like a little lube.
I may get enough lube from the bar oil, but who really know.....:D

This issue has been beeten to death several times, and there still is no conclusive answer.....:ices_rofl:

The German made Stihl bars don't even have grease holes.....

Back