Sprocket grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXCAVATOR0Z

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gday all. Can anyone tell me if its safe or a good idea to use hammer/rock breaker black grease for chainsaw nose sprocket lube. Grease is for hi.temp and hi pressure applications. I would use it for milling on 42" bar 3120xp. Mostly aussie hardwood. I have a fair bit of this grease to use.. cheers

Attachments

• 20210711_102151.jpg
    20210711_102151.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210711_102158.jpg
    20210711_102158.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Ok thanks.. i use an aux oiler.why is it a bad idea to over lube?
If you use grease you always have to use it, as it will block the bar oil from getting to the tip. With good oiling grease is pointless IMHO, some manufacturers no longer ever have holes in the tip for grease, Stihl bars mostly. With the setup you have spray put the tip with break parts cleaner pour some bar oil on her and call it a day.

My nose sprockets on various saws used to seize up now and then and stop the chain moving.
Sometimes it took quite a bit of fiddling around to free things.

Then about 10 years ago I stopped oiling the sprocket bearings and since then there's been very few sprocket seizures.

As mentioned, most bars on my saws don't have oil holes at the nose end..

Actually I'm not sure exactly what nose sprockets do. They don't drive the chain and I can't see that they help to keep the drive links from falling out of the bar groove.

I'm not milling though, just cutting firewood

Th
My nose sprockets on various saws used to seize up now and then and stop the chain moving.
Sometimes it took quite a bit of fiddling around to free things.

Then about 10 years ago I stopped oiling the sprocket bearings and since then there's been very few sprocket seizures.

As mentioned, most bars on my saws don't have oil holes at the nose end..

Actually I'm not sure exactly what nose sprockets do. They don't drive the chain and I can't see that they help to keep the drive links from falling out of the bar groove.

I'm not milling though, just cutting firewood
Thanks for you input mate. Il stop greasing my bar tip sprockets.. il keep using nose sprockets though.. cheers mate

My grandpa always greased his sprocket noses, and that's good enough for me!!
I grease mine after each cut!!!

I even grease it when I am not cutting.

I grease it whenever I feel tense......

As a matter of fact, I'm greasing mine right now..........
I don't doubt it for a second either.

I don't think he's talking about his chainsaw anymore!

I grease mine periodically. Can't say I've ever had one seize on me. But I do run all my oilers on max setting. Don't see how the grease is gonna stop oil from getting to the bearings any more the the fines from cutting get into the bar groove clogging that up.

It's yours, you can do what you want with it, in private. :innocent:

Back