Grease hole on sprocket tip bars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought Husqvarna 61 brandnew and they sold me one of those little grease guns, never Used it much, a couple years later the dealer that sold it to me advised not using it, said the chances of pumping in dirt out weighs any possible benefit.
On some Husqvarna saws, that grease gun can be used to grease the drive sprocket bearing without having to remove the clutch.

Philbert

EDIT: @The Lorax types faster than me!

Whenever a bar comes into my shop, I grease the sprocket tip if I can because I figure the owner has never bothered to do it. I show it to him and he usually says, "So that's what that little hole on each side of the bar tip is for. I'll be darned."
Note: some bars have only one hole on one side. Some have none. I have a few Stihl bars with grease holes because the original tip with no holes wore out or locked up and the replaced tip has grease holes.

If you are a greaser, I suggest using a spray can of motorcycle chain lube, the spray tube sort of fits into the grease hole (clean it out first with a toothpick) and you can use the lube for other things like garage door track wheels and car door hinges.
Does it come in strawberry asking for a friend. :popcorn2:

I wonder how long the grease last in the bearing pocket in any case, start cutting wood things get hot grease gets thin all the while being spun @ a measly 10k+ rpm...

I mean it is not as if warm oil and warm grease would mix together or anything, whilst being agitated in an open bearing akin to a food processor?

I've never greased the nose sprocket. 40+ cords of wood on my saw and bar, and no issues. For a pro it might extend the life some, but for a homeowner firewood cutter like me, clearly it's not needed. Even for a pro, how much time and $$$ are you going to spend on grease, to extend the life of your $20 bar tip by a tiny little bit?

I plan to continue ignoring it.

I never greased the tip of my bar. I have quite of few bore cuts dropping tree and bucking logs on the landing with only one failure. Thats with hundreds of cuts. I think the greased tips pick up to much grit.

I had a truck with grease zirk fittings for the leaf spring shackles. I was tired of the squeak and filled up a small grease gun with antisieze. Antisieze is water proof, can withstand high temperatures and clings well.

Has anyone tried using antisieze? All my bars don't have grease ports so no test from me.

Back