Grease hole on sprocket tip bars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never used those needle nose grease guns to lube the sprocket tip on guide bars. Always relied on bar oil to circulate to the sprocket tip. Kind of figured the thick grease would just attract dirt/sand and make an abrasive paste. But I'm having second thoughts.
Maybe I'll buy one of those little grease guns and start greasing through the little hole at the tip.
Anyone grease sprocket tips regularly?
Your advice?

For a 15 year early run I greased those tips regularly each morning before starting cutting, then our dealer chastised us for doing so and I kind of stopped for a few years and had no problems with the tips so now I don`t bother at all. When I was sawing up 150 - 200 cords of hardwood each year I never wore a Windsor bar out, 30 WT engine oil did its job.

I don't buy the ever or never thing, I grease at the end of the day after cleaning bars so there ready for next day. Been doing that for quite a while, some saws get 5+ tanks through them. Cutting technique plays a role in nose longevity as does quality of the bar/nose in the first place. In RSN's I usually wear out the bar before the nose. I couldn't find the grease hole on one of my hardnose bars so I drilled it so it wasn't missing out on the slippery stuff.

I’ve greased them and never had any problems and I’ve also not greased them and still haven’t had problems. I always clean my saws with a brush and compressed air when I use them and. Clean the bar rails out and flip the bars as well. Just use normal maintence and you’ll be fine.

Bought Husqvarna 61 brandnew and they sold me one of those little grease guns, never Used it much, a couple years later the dealer that sold it to me advised not using it, said the chances of pumping in dirt out weighs any possible benefit.

Why would you think mixing sand, top soil, wood dust and grease together would ever wear metal out spinning around 4-8000rpm? Oil with dirt will just be spun off.

Bought Husqvarna 61 brandnew and they sold me one of those little grease guns, never Used it much, a couple years later the dealer that sold it to me advised not using it, said the chances of pumping in dirt out weighs any possible benefit.

So there is no way possible that any "dirt" might end up between the bar rails, be picked up by the driver links and be dragged in to the sprocket tip area of the bar?
Any dirt getting into the bar tip bearing is going to be forced in with grease via the hole in the side of the bar tip?

Latest posts

Back