Grease hole on sprocket tip bars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you Husky chainsaw owners watch this you tube about the hidden grease hole in the crankshaft on some for the clutch bearing, use the same needle tip gun that is for the bar hole.
I have some older Homies that owners manual says to grease the tip every once in awhile. I sometimes inject enough grease just to see if any crud flushes out. I have some bars with the roller tips that I never grease. I mainly just try to save to old OEM Homies bars.

Here is the link about the Husky hidden crankshaft grease hole.

I don't grease too often, usually try to do it before doing felling cuts. But boy does it come in handy flushing out the filings when dressing a worn bar. Dressed my 460 Rancher bar, cleaned forever with WD40 etc and could still feel debris in there. Finally resolved to grease to flush the filings from the sprocket nose. Got out wood debris out I didn't expect to find, either.

Anti-seize usually has metal in it (aluminum or copper), which isn't good for bearings.

Plenty of greases have the same or similar metal compounds in their formula, one of the most prominent being molybdenum disulfide. Even it all the oil disappears, this dry moly disulfide will serve as a dry lubricant that gets down into the pores of the metal and almost forms a "plating" on the bearing surfaces...

Stihl bars don’t have a hole to grease so i never bothered to grease the ones with holes either. No problems
Don't drill into Stihl hole-less noses...I've tried it and its not as simple as drilling a hole. Their is thin metal sheet discs under the bar metal that seal the bearing. IMO its not worth it, I bought some NOS ES bars that are fairly old and they have grease ports. But Stihl did away with them, they do know a thing or two about saw bars and really the sealed noses work and last just fine. Grease ports DO introduce sand and other abraisive contamination into the bearing. I am a grease the bar guy but that's driven more by nostalgia of me liking to pump grease into a little hole with my little micro USA made grease gun, its not based facts.
I have two new Stihl Rollomatic bars with out holes and am freaking out about it. I really want to drill some holes to put grease in them, but have not yet. Thanks

For the Stihl guys from a 2012-10 Stihl publication:

"Nose sprocket with encapsulated roller bearing
The standard encapsulated bearing prevents the ingress of dirt and is maintenance free. The lubricant injected into the bearing in the production process is sufficient to last its entire service life."

Ron[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back