Hey RBTREE - What are you doing up there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
RB, at 100 feet...

attachment.php

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

A little tree job RB did for my neighbor... About 155 foot tall doug fir, bifurcated at about 75 feet, 140 foot hemlock leaner stuck in the middle at about 90 feet.

First you have to get up there... The tree is rigged from the previous day removing the hemlock, so... enthusiastic neighbor to winch him up 90 feet (the ground guy got tired in the first 40 feet). Yep, he got yelled at for not wearing a helmet.

attachment.php

Time to get tied on and get those ropes straight.

attachment.php

Sorry, didn't have my wide angle lenses with me...

Top of tree:
attachment.php

Middle of tree - add about 40 feet to the ground.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Part 2

First top away...

attachment.php

A next small block down:

attachment.php

Second top gone:

attachment.php

Nice hinge..

attachment.php

A lot of cussing and some delay..... RB can explain...

attachment.php

Last edited:
part 3

Forget that stuck block, just knock down the entire section.

attachment.php

The 372 is howling... and RB's been up there about 2 hours.

attachment.php

Timber!!!! The ground guy weighed about 2% of this section... lots of rocking and goosing the cut going on...

attachment.php

Howling Husky - sounds like a dirt bike

attachment.php

More timberrrrrrr!!! RB's not into little blocks.

attachment.php

Last edited:
WOW!!!!:bowdown:

Way to go RB you guys that climb have got all of my respect. I prefer to put the tree on the ground first and then cut it up, not the other way around. I used to climb when I worked in cable, never had the urge to cut anything down that I was attached to. I climbed a 50 footer once, it doesn’t sound very high until your up there standing on two nails, a lot of pucker factor.;) I can’t imagine what a 100+ feet would be like :dizzy:, gotta gave a lot of faith in your equipment. Nice pics Lake but um I don’t think that first one is standard climbing procedure.:laugh:

E.

Hey Lake, were you lucky enough to get any of that stuff for milling or otherwise?

Na... I'd have to move it 20 feet:hmm3grin2orange: Way to much wood down around here to worry about milling right now... firewood... In any case, it's good for at least 5 years on the ground. I might cut that big fork out and mill it for grins.

Holy Guacamole

Awesome pics!! :clap:
Two words; TESTICULAR FORTITUDE :jawdrop:

I've climbed a pole or two, and thats scary enough.

Climb even higher? Ha.

With a chainsaw? No way.

Cut up the damn thing your clinging on to!? NOT A CHANCE

Im curious as to how the ropes are rigged/get rigged... does the climber run up to the top of the tree and set a rope? What exactly does the rope get set on or with?

Also, is there any special way one fells while clinging to the tree?

Back