Hey RBTREE - What are you doing up there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im curious as to how the ropes are rigged/get rigged... does the climber run up to the top of the tree and set a rope? What exactly does the rope get set on or with?

Also, is there any special way one fells while clinging to the tree?[/QUOTE]

Ditto's I wonder myself.

Nice pics Lake. You post by far some of the best quality pics on AS. That's a nice camera setup you've got there.

Oh, you say RB isn't into chunking down blocks? I thought those were "blocks" for a NW 160' DF. :biggrinbounce2:

What was the tie off for in the first pic? To pinch off the Hemlock hanger? Nice inverted technique RB, every job has to have a hero shot I say.:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice work RB.:bowdown:

What was the tie off for in the first pic? To pinch off the Hemlock hanger? Nice inverted technique RB, every job has to have a hero shot I say.:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice work RB.:bowdown:

I'll let RB explain that tie-off (its not an ordinary cable), and the rigging...

I did leave him a message about this post, but I suspect he's skiing... snowed again here today, and so damn cold not much else to do.:D

Excellent pics Lake. 100 ft"er, no thanks!! I used to paratroop from 1,200 ft up to 12000 but that was peanuts compared to what RB is doing. You have to be part monkey, acrobat and human. My deepest respects for anyone you does topping etc...

Doc

I did leave him a message about this post, but I suspect he's skiing... snowed again here today, and so damn cold not much else to do.:D

Nothing wrong with that, I'd love to break out the skis if you guys out West would quit hogging all the pow. All we need is a couple good Nor'easters.....

Thanks for posting the pics, Andy! Got back from Crystal an hour ago. It started off sunny, then fogged in, then lightly snowed from 11 am on...put the kibosh on out of the area touring we were considering. A vicious north upslope wind had messed up some great north faces. First real turns were dropping into Lobotomy, which is next to Brain Damage. Had to traverse Pinball to get a pow pocket on the side of the next couloir. The three closest lines just left of the summit in this pic, shot last Feb.:
WayneGAvyBasin2w.jpg

Found better snow in the North Backcountry, 12-16" of very skiable powder, and plenty of spots that had been missed by the masses.....And wow, did they ever glade the hell out of Left Angle over to Niagara....now some of the best steep trees in the US of Eh....1800 vert of 32 degrees....

To answer some questions. The set up was: Set blue plasma high modulus zero stretch line (1/2 inch and 36k tensile) to support the two fir trunks. Then, I set a lowering block 30 feet above to lower the top. Below the plasma line and about 12 feet above where the hemlock was lodged, I set our other high modulus line through my big block which was rigged to both trunks in a fashion that would cinch them together under load--with a 54,000# tensile spectra 5/8th inch sling, and ran it to the GRCS. Then I climbed out on the leaner, topped it, lowered it, then chunked it back to the fir. Next, I carefully cut the lower trunk on the other side of where it was lodged, which suspended the leaner. Lots of pressures in play there, but managed to not pinch the saw ( unlike in andy's pic fromt he next day, when I stupidly tried to cut the stuck piece out, pinching the 346--had to call for a wedge and hammer to free the saw.) Then I descended, and we cut the tree off the stump till it was vertical and the butt was next to the fir where the GRCS was attached. Then, we continued to cut 4-6 foot sections off as we lowered it down, till it 20 feet long and we could lay it down. I reckon we had 8-10k pounds of tree hanging!

Fir was appx 155 feet tall, hemlock? maybe 140 plus...

It was getting dark on day one, so Scott only got a few pics. John the customer shot a video and kindly presented me with a DVD the next day when I went back to drop the fir, after derigged the gear.

Yes, that last shot of me rapping off that tiny stub shows some dingbatty carelessness. I did unclip my lanyard and forgot the lifeline was only around that small stub...I was near the ground and spurred down, holding on to the trunk. In the old days, I used to spur up free too often and too high...
356575835_36ac99bb81_o.jpg

356585592_1e6486c43b_o.jpg

Last edited:
Andy shot this with my 17/40 at 24 mm, effective focal length abt 30 mm with the 1.3 factor sensor in the Canon 1D Mark11.
356602947_db6d9fc391_o.jpg

view from aloft.
356984989_197ac8b80b_o.jpg

Last edited:
EXCELLENT! Thankyou gentlemen! Great shots Andy and good work RB (watch them darned lines tho *shiver on the repell*), quite the job! Simply awesome stuff and very good documentation imo. Just a bit of curious here about the chunk that was stuck, could you have jacked the two tops apart (like a small screwjack or some-such) and got it out of there or did it even matter. Oh, I too am curious about the up-side down acrobatics pic.....I'm assuming it was just an interesting critter that needed rescuing at the time :D
Once again good stuff!

:cheers: *passes them around*

Serge

Great pics are those spikes klin with alum. pads. I have been looking into getting the pads for mine. Anything longer than an hour and they seem to start slipping around and become painfull. Skiing wish we had snow let alone powder. Treamblant and Killington are running bare bones and not worth the drive. Looks like some snow next week for New York. Hope you find some more time for the Mt.

EXCELLENT! Thankyou gentlemen! Great shots Andy and good work RB (watch them darned lines tho *shiver on the repell*), quite the job! Simply awesome stuff and very good documentation imo. Just a bit of curious here about the chunk that was stuck, could you have jacked the two tops apart (like a small screwjack or some-such) and got it out of there or did it even matter. Oh, I too am curious about the up-side down acrobatics pic.....I'm assuming it was just an interesting critter that needed rescuing at the time :D
Once again good stuff!

:cheers: *passes them around*

Serge

Why I tried to cut that piece out is beyond me.....had tons of room, so just flopped the log from below the fork. Guess my first thoughts didn't include that novel concept, but was concerned that I didn't want to be below the piece if I cut just one trunk off...as it would have fallen free.

Scott Chapple also like to get upside down...: maybe it's like preening to attract females....but none came running.. maybe we should try pheremones...:blob2:
356985406_83f87b7198_o.jpg

Yep, that was a bonehead move, but I was close to the ground.However, a local arborist fell just 3 weeks ago, from 18 feet or so, landed on his chainsaw and now has 5 broken vertabrae and a body cast for a few months. If I'd fallen, and landed on my back it could have hurt as the cut hemlock sections were below.

Last edited:
However, a local arborist fell just 3 weeks ago, from 18 feet or so, landed on his chainsaw and now has 5 broken vertabrae and a body cast for a few months. If I'd fallen, and landed on my back it could have hurt as the cut hemlock sections were below.

Sobering!!

I really don't know how you guys guys do this. Great photos...got any vids?

Andy shot this with my 17/40 at 24 mm, effective focal length abt 30 mm with the 1.3 factor sensor in the Canon 1D Mark11.
356602947_db6d9fc391_o.jpg

Yep - the one or two I got after looking at RB's camera (nice) back and noticed it was saying "card not present" :biggrinbounce2:

Actually I think that was the 24-70 f/2.8L.

You're quicker than me...I'd "shot" a bunch before you arrived...and failed to notice the "no card" alert. Maybe if the lens cap hadda been on........:bowdown: :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back