MS390 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilzlofgren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Every once in a while, my trusty 390 decides to annoy me with this problem. And no, the problem isn't that its a 390, or that its heavy, or that it vibrates like a jackhammer.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: The problem is that where the on/off/choke lever enters the saw, it clips into the body of the saw. It sometimes pops out of the clip and the metal contact that shuts the saw off, winds up under the plastic tang that engages it. this doesn't allow me shut the saw off, or allow it to disengage from the 1/2 choke setting once it fires over. I have to use my scrench to pop it back over the tang. I seem to have trouble posting pics, so this is as clear as I can explain my problem.

popout

Either the flat spring is catching on the shaft, or the clamp on the tank is spread. I use a heat gun to warm it up and bend the plastic (oops, space age polymer;) ), to retain the shaft better.

It is a common problem, more common with the smaller saws {017/018}
sucks a bit

huh, don't tell my 170s that, They have never had any problems. only saw I ever had the switch rod pop out on was a 066mag.....
-Ralph

Well it was designed that way......you purchased the semi pro model.....had you purchased the pro model it would not shut off at all....part of the Stihl exclusive oil warming system requires that you continue running the saw at all times

Ein Körper in der Bewegung neigt dazu, in der Bewegung zu bleiben.....

Either the flat spring is catching on the shaft, or the clamp on the tank is spread. I use a heat gun to warm it up and bend the plastic (oops, space age polymer;) ), to retain the shaft better.

REVOLUTIONARY space age polymer, buddy!

If you will bend the tab on the contact spring towards the rear of the saw just a touch it will allow the contact spring to flow more smoothly with the kill wire. I use needlenose pliers and it fixes them right up. Hope this helps.

lcso10 said:
If you will bend the tab on the contact spring towards the rear of the saw just a touch it will allow the contact spring to flow more smoothly with the kill wire. I use needlenose pliers and it fixes them right up. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! My 029 did this a couple times, and I was figuring I'd stumble onto an easy fix.

Latest posts

Back