Building Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goicoechea

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A few partial rolls of bulk chain have recently found their way into my possession and I am fairly new to all of this and I was wondering what I needed to know to build my own loops of chain.

I'm new and I hope I don't sound like an idiot. Thanks for your help

Thanks alot. Tons of good information in that pdf! Any reccomendations on spinners and breakers to look at?

I saw that and it looked neat. I was a little nervous about shelling out the cash before talkin to somebody else.

The "vice grip" type tools are good to carry to the woods, but I don't like them as my main breaker. I use the bench mount breaker and spinner from Bailey's (they are a sponsor here). I do a lot of chain work, and for under $100.00 you can't beat them.

Andy

Buy a real rivet spinner to make chains...you don't want them breaking as they could maim or kill you or bystanders. Having used a real breaker as well as a bench grinder, I gotta say a grinder is easier and more efficient. Just grind down the rivets and pop them out by hand or with a hammer and punch after the heads are ground down or just grind all the way through. Its easy and only takes a minute. You also need appropriate presets and tie straps to make chains. If you use a real breaker sometimes you can reuse these but its not recommended and everything must go PERFECT in order to do that. Other than that its just a matter of counting up your DL and making it happen.

Latest posts

Back