028AVS Buyers Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If a person was in the market for an 028 AV Super what are the important things to look for? Desireable features? Weak spots? What to look out for, etc. Thanks in advance for any help!

Should be no different than any other saw

same stuff, good compression, intact air filter/choke mechanisim... (they list for about 35.00 BTW,) starts easy, ldles well, accelerates well, returns to idle well, heat it up, check for bar oiling well, decent bar and chain usually you can get your own,,,,if not equiped,,,,, cut a little shut off and restart easily,,,

If its really clean,,,, expect to fork out $300.00 +,,,,, :chainsawguy:

If a person was in the market for an 028 AV Super what are the important things to look for? Desireable features? Weak spots? What to look out for, etc. Thanks in advance for any help!

I think the older ones had metal gas tanks.........very late models have side chain adjuster

There have been several versions of the 028, older ones with points and newer one with electronic ignition, but I don't know if that's valid for the Super model. Lake should know (as usual, hehe)

Get the side adjuster type if you can though..

That is the kind of thing Iwas looking or with this post. I know that Stihl constantly updates models, and I wanted to know the best features and such. If the saw does not have a rim sprocket, is there still a kit availble to convert it? Once again thanks!

there are a bunch of those saws out there,,, Ahhhhemmm!!!!!

Well...since I am a CNC machinist that could happen:)

Thanks again Andy for your help...

but the really clean ones are a bit pricey,,, they are really solid little saws and have a good feel about them,,,, If youve ever cut with one you will know what I mean,,,,,,

and Tecomec makes a good after market P/C for them bide your time and get the one you want.....:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Last edited:
but the really clean ones are a bit pricey,,, they are really solid little saws and have a good feel about them,,,, If youve ever cut with one you will know what I mean,,,,,,

and Tecomec makes a good after market P/C for them bide your time and get the one you want.....:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Thanks River!

Actually, I have won an Auction for one on eBay, and it looks like the adjuster is in front. The adjuster location was not as important as the condition of the saw. A link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300114140136&rd=1&rd=1

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks like an OK saw, got my fingers crossed...:popcorn:

Looks about the same as the 028 AV Super I just inherited. I remember cutting with it about 5 years ago, I think that was the last time it was run. My dad has had it since my uncle passed, about 15 yrs ago.

Mine has /had a really old rollomatic 16" bar, with hardly any paint left on the bar and it was getting blue near the groove. And some side links on the chain were bluing, and it felt pretty dull, so I figured it was toast.

It oils like crazy, and I pulled the muffler to clean it out and check the piston. No scoring, everything looked good so I'm very happy at the moment.

After some initial cleaning (plug, air filter, etc), it started right up and I tried to make a cut. I might as well have been using a dull butter knife against a brick. Took 20+ seconds to cut a 3" diameter twig. Oh well..... got a new 18" stihl bar and chain today from a stihl dealer where i promptly drooled all over the showroom floor.

The adjuster in the front is not very easy to use with the combination saw tool. A regular flat head screwdriver gets on that pan-head a lot easier.

Anyways, hey TZed250 you will never guess what bike I race..... yeah, a 4DP. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

If you've ridden Summit Point I bet we might have crossed paths!:rockn:

oh yeah, can you tell me what that sticker says on the left side of the airbox/cover?? mine is totally unreadable. I figured it'd say 50:1 and some other stuff, as its not labeled anywhere else on the saw. But I got the manual from the stihl website, so its all good I guess.

Last edited:
Looks about the same as the 028 AV Super I just inherited. I remember cutting with it about 5 years ago, I think that was the last time it was run. My dad has had it since my uncle passed, about 15 yrs ago.

Mine has /had a really old rollomatic 16" bar, with hardly any paint left on the bar and it was getting blue near the groove. And some side links on the chain were bluing, and it felt pretty dull, so I figured it was toast.

It oils like crazy, and I pulled the muffler to clean it out and check the piston. No scoring, everything looked good so I'm very happy at the moment.

After some initial cleaning (plug, air filter, etc), it started right up and I tried to make a cut. I might as well have been using a dull butter knife against a brick. Took 20+ seconds to cut a 3" diameter twig. Oh well..... got a new 18" stihl bar and chain today from a stihl dealer where i promptly drooled all over the showroom floor.

The adjuster in the front is not very easy to use with the combination saw tool. A regular flat head screwdriver gets on that pan-head a lot easier.

Anyways, hey TZed250 you will never guess what bike I race..... yeah, a 4DP. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

If you've ridden Summit Point I bet we might have crossed paths!:rockn:

oh yeah, can you tell me what that sticker says on the left side of the airbox/cover?? mine is totally unreadable. I figured it'd say 50:1 and some other stuff, as its not labeled anywhere else on the saw. But I got the manual from the stihl website, so its all good I guess.

I dont have the saw yet, so I am not sure about the writing on the cover.

I dont have my TZ anymore, but it was an '89 reverse cylinder.

My friend has a 4DP right now.

Yeah, I've raced at Summit Point, only place I ever crashed a racebike...:laugh: Roebling Road (Savannah) was my favorite:D

Cool, let me know what that sticker says if ya don't mind.

The parallel twins were cool bikes, but obviously its easier to pull one cylinder at a time on the v-twins. Plus they vibrate less. The newer ones (5KE) are crazy, with fuel pumps, ECU's, airboxes, etc.... I like mine simple for now.

Summit would be a zillion times better if they repaved the main circuit. Its also still pretty dangerous in turns 3, 4, 6, and 9.

Latest posts

Back